Add date range filter to data export

Currently, to export multiple months of data, one must first export the data for one month, for example August, then navigate to another page, then go back to the export page and reset the custom date range to a different month, for example, July. Without navigating to another page, the calendar setting is disabled.

Thank you,

Fred

Moderator edit: Labels & Title

12 Comments
willjasen
First Steps

At the advice of the @FitbitSupport Twitter account, I'm requesting that the feature to export all data be brought back.

I've been tracking my food intake every day since the beginning of November 2015. I don't want to have to do separate exports going back in the past as well as one per month going forward, not to mention merging in the resulting downloads into a single archive. It was mentioned that the export feature used to download all data, but was changed and limited to 31 days maximum due to the stress placed on the servers because of an ever-increasing pile of data and a growing userbase. This change was a poor decision for engineering - not only does the change inconvenience customers, but it was the easy way out that didn't really address the issue. Perhaps the download feature can be re-engineered so that the processing of data exports are queued and the user is sent a link for the download at a later point, much like Facebook, Twitter, and Google do, and they regularly deal with way more data than Fitbit ever will.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

willjasen
First Steps

I should also include that I have activity data going back to 2012.. I really don't wanna do 50+ exports!!

New_Knee_User
Recovery Runner

I am willing to download my data monthly, but what is available is a joke!  I want details on my activities- distance, time etc.  I have a new knee and want to keep track of the incremental progress in my activities.  It is unfortunate that we aren't given any real choice about this, as they are very clear that this is our  data!  

I did keep a spreadsheet, but thought the fitbit would allow me to access the data without manually entering it on a separate spreadsheet.  

Please add this ability.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
RobertoME
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone! It will be really helpful to export data for a longer range of time. This can be helpful for users that want to get more data.

Thanks for sharing and supporting this idea!

DaleTrexel
Jogger

I just got in an exchange with @TwitterSupport about this very topic! I even documented how awful the download form is with a bit of screencapture video: https://twitter.com/DaleTrexel/status/917051096983592960

Note that you don't have to re-load the page to advance another month, but the 31 day limit does make it frustrating! The calendar limits you to selecting 31 day ranges, so to advance, you have to inch-worm your start and end dates to never have a range >31 selected at once. July to August happens to be especially bad because they're two 31-day months in a row. (Watch the video in the tweet to see what happens as a result.)

If only they gave you a "reset" button it wouldn't be nearly as bad. But as others have pointed out here, what you get for the effort is laughable. Daily summaries are not nearly as useful as the raw data!

Looking at the API, if you want to go through the effort of building your own app, you can get finer detailed data and build a better UI for yourself, but really, why should we have to go through the effort if it's something that ought to be available to us from our own accounts' data export page?

glarblblarbl
First Steps

Seconded.

My data should belong TO ME and it shouldn't have taken two hours of tedious fiddling to get my five years of data.  Only to realize that it's only daily digests and doesn't even include heart rate data (the thing I am most interested in analyzing).

kelliann1
Runner

I'm very pleased to have found this thread because it answers a lot of questions I had and now I know what to do. Thank you.

Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @FredWA and thanks for sharing this suggestion, which has received votes from other community members. I’m happy to let you know that this suggestion has been picked up internally at Fitbit and is being considered by our team. This suggestion will either remain ‘Under Consideration’ until released, or else move to ‘Not Currently Planned’ if it’s not viable right now. Further updates will be posted here.

Please remember that if a suggestion is chosen for development, it can take some time before updates are available or a release is finalized, so thanks in advance for your patience. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs. Fans can continue to vote for this feature suggestion while it is under consideration.

SFaltafb
Base Runner

Seems like it's very complicated to get charts of one's data over time. For people who are not tech experts, Fitbit makes it very hard to USE the data we are tracking! This seems silly! Why gather data if you can't use it to view trends?

GBLich
Jogger

Data export in .csv or .xls PLEASE...I switched from Polar to Fitbit thinking mistakenly I could track my activity sessions individually and download them to  a spreadsheet for further analysis.  I can get a .xls, but it doesn't show individual sessions nor the name of the activity.

norman_cates
Recovery Runner

On the export page, they say the reason for removing the option to export all our data as CSV is that their servers were getting overloaded.

Well, OK. But then in order to GET all our data we have to export ALL of it, EVERY time. 

This has to put a MUCH larger load on theirservers than if we could just ask for a smaller section.

The first time would be a large data dump. But after that point, it would be monthly or similar. A FAR smaller set of data.

Fit bit have created a rod for their own back.

Status changed to: Released
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released on the online dashboard as you can choose the time period and data you want to include in your export file. You can find more details here.

@FredWA, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing this idea, and thanks to everyone who voted and commented for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.