Add more edit options for exercises on website and Fitbit app

There is inconsistency in the ability to Edit and rename exercises for later clarity. Many like to change the name of a Workout or Activity to match the geographic location they performed the activity.

At the moment

• Your can edit and continually rename an Activity Record
  • You can edit a Workout once only and if there is an error you have to delete it and make a manual entry which then effects the active minutes and calories by straight lining.
  • On my Ionic I just did a GPS Walk and I don't even get the chance to edit and rename the Walk. I have do create an Activity Record if I want to delineate the activity.
  • I realize for some activities it prompts to create a custom Activity but on some types you don't have that option and create the error and have to live with it..

The image below shows some editing of the names, the Ionic HR is my last nights sleep.

•  

rename activity 28mar19.jpg

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Colin:Victoria, Australia
Ionic (OS 4.2.1, 27.72.1.15), Android App 3.45.1, Premium, Phone Sony Xperia XA2, Android 9.0
48 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Macaj, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

LenSkates
Jogger

So happy I did get the Charge 4, because now I can use it when swimming (the AltaHR I had before wasn't water resistant).

But now it seems that the possibility of (automatically) tracking my other favourite activity: INLINE SKATING, still isn't possible.😫

It's the first time I visit the forum and I see the requests for it go years back.... 🤔 If I would have known in advance that inline skating can't be tracked easily I would have looked for something else. I also see that it isn't clear if and when this feature will be added. 

#Fitbit: Can you let us know if and when this feature will be added?

F0X
First Steps

I too would like to track my inline skating!

KaJenius
Jogger

Cant believe that this is not implemented yet. Have my Versa for 1,5 years now. During this time user experienxe has not improved, it is still extremely limited. Not being able to have any type of workout with Gps data is insane.

irunslow
Jogger
I would like to be able to edit an exercise after it is logged as a Race or event - especially for Running/Biking and Swimming. Not necessarily as a separate exercise, but the ability to go into your log and categorize that as such would be super helpful.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @irunslow, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to edit exercises on the Fitbit app. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have similar problem and here is whole my issue described:

Charge 4: Tracking Inline Skating 

I have added also screenshots in comments, where I compared tracking of different exercises to simulate Inline Skating tracking.

Just small change should be enough - EDIT EXERCITE TYPE/NAME.

tomtcom
Recovery Runner

It seems to me everything I search for has already been asked but never been addressed from 3-5 years in length. I'm going to keep my charge 3 till it bites the dust while watching for updates for the devices and software. Otherwise probably have to change ecosystems to get what you want.

COMAMA2
First Steps
Agree! Going to go back to Garmin!!

Sent from Meghan Alexander's iPhone
Addisonsfeet
Recovery Runner
I want to be able to edit a work out without having to delete it and remake it. Also for workouts that are tracked, for example, most mornings I forget to set my fitbit to track my walk until I am 5mins in. I would like to be able to add those 5mins to the workout after I am done.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Addisonsfeet, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to edit workouts. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. You can also visit this other suggestions: Edit distance with the Android, Win app and the web

A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

OldRunner59
Jogger

I think editing any portion of an exercise entry is important.  Having to delete and reenter an exercise is wasteful and cumbersome.

sweetgray
First Steps

I would also like the ability to edit a workout. Sometimes I forget to start the tracking or forget to turn it off. I'd like to edit the time start and end after it's been entered.

Atmonauti
First Steps

I vote for this! Or add skating (in line, roller blade, ice skate, skateboarding) as activity 

tcbennett84
First Steps

The ability the rename the activity (ex. instead of "Weights" you can put "Leg workout", "Chest workout", etc.) would be excellent!!

mommamea4
Jogger

I would like to be able to edit the activity to name it as the route I am walking and running and then have the ability to sort by that category so that I can compare stats.  Right now I am having to keep a separate spreadsheet so that I can compare time completed, cardio, fat burn stats.

DutchHarry
Recovery Runner

Vote!

There are plenty kinds of sports.

The ability to rename an activity to Kitesurfing, Snowkiten, Skiing, Snowboading, Skating, Ice-Skating, Ski-Tour, etc would be great. 

Or ability to add custom excercises - like copy and rename an exercise-activity. 

So the users have there exercises on their watch they really want to have. (Like Polar does) 🙂

Kittykat2021
First Steps
I've switched from Garmin to Fitbit and am disappointed in the Fitbit app. There's no way to retitle an activity. And it would also be great to add private comments and photos to an activity.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kittykat2021, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per suggestion, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions.

wfr1edman
First Steps

Two year after the last comment and this is still a problem. PLEASE REMOVE THE ONCE ONLY EDIT LIMITATION! It makes no sense. I want to refine the names over time as I add similar workouts and then go back and decide which ones I like best.

This is such a simple enhancement and, I imagine, would take very little engineering effort. It's low hanging fruit. Please consider it!

Respectfully,
Your Faithful Fitbit Users

Aej86
Jogger

Can't believe in still looking at ways to edit the name of a workout.i want to record classes eg Body attack, body pump, lbt and so on..I'm aware you can add custom workouts and I have done that but again after doing a small test workout just now,  in my app dashboard it changes the stats and shows distance instead of time and speed instead of calories.I ONLY WANTED TO CHANGE THE NAME. Dont understand why this is so hard for Fitbit to do.

DocRoot
Recovery Runner

>  There is inconsistency in the ability to Edit and rename exercises for later clarity.

I've only had my Fitbit Charge 5 for a couple of weeks and I'm very disappointed to have to face this issue, particularly considering this appears to have been an issue for "years" from the threads/discussion I have been reading?! (And such a fundamentally "core" issue at that.)

However, what we are calling an exercise "Name" is referred to as an exercise "Type" (Android App) or "Custom Activity" (website interface) there are no activity "Names" as such as far as I can tell. Once I've created a "Custom Activity" on the website by so-called "renaming" an activity (when I can), I can then pick this "activity/type" when renaming an activity in the future - this is not how a "name" would behave, this is a "type of activity"! (FWIW, the ability to change the activity "type" doesn't even appear to be available on the iOS app!)

So, it doesn't look to me that exercise "Names" even exist in the app to begin with?!

DutchHarry
Recovery Runner

Hi to all. I found out you can change the type of exercise (not rename) via the Fitbit-App for Windows.

BUT -> GPS related trainings can only be changed to running, walking, hiking or biking.

I always track my surfing sessions with running and hope that I can change this in future to kitesurfing, skiing, etc etc.

I like I can use Intervall-Training now and change it later to like HIIT or Workout.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.