Add more swimming stats (lap times, elapsed time, distance or length) on screen

Upgraded from Ionic to Versa 2. Very disappointed with Swim tracking. Versa 2 lost the ability to keep track of elapsed laps. I have to count manually and that defeats the purpose of a fitness tracker. I was told this is working as designed. I will be returning the Versa 2 to Fitbit until this functionality is added. Going back to Ionic. Need the ability to customize Swim stats by:
- Completed Laps
- Elapsed Time
- Heart Rate   (vote here!)

Moderator edit: Removed personal information and clarified subject

416 Comments
colojc
Jogger

I’ve started pausing it when I kickboard but then I have to keep count of those laps in my head. Could the app minimally tell you how many times, and for how long it was paused in an exercise session? That seems simple and might be useful data.  Doesn’t help with the useless calories per lap but knowing when I have manually paused it versus when I paused motion and Fitbit detected it would be useful  for dealing with the lap counting issue.  I could calculate my time for kickboard laps manually that way at least. 

Blamarque
Jogger

Please include split times in the app. It appears the watch has the ability to detect lengths swum so should be an easy addition to provide that information. Would be great to also include number of strokes per length but not sure it has the capability. Given these additions  have been requested for over a year it feels like maybe the hardware isn’t up to the task of providing accurate data for this information : (

Status changed to: Not currently planned
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

Janlouis1
Jogger

The Ionic and Versa can track your swimming lengths and pace with the watch app, but as soon as you upload it to the fitbit app, all you can see is calories per lap.(I cannot think that anybody would find calories per lap useful)

It should take minimum development time to show the lap times and pace for Swimming in the Fitbit App.

Also I cannot understand why we cannot see our heart rate displayed.

The heart rate would also be really useful per lap, Sprinting vs a recovery lap.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Janlouis1, great suggestion. Having this option in our Fitbit devices would be awesome. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Basderijck
Recovery Runner

I would absolute be happy with more swim options, but also like to see srokes in the app and perhaps a live lap count

Bas

CheryI
First Steps

Hi,

I use my Fitbit Charge 3 to track my daily life and activity but also my swimming. I swim multiple times a week. The one thing that frustrates me with my Fitbit Charge 3 is how you can't see your length count on your watch. There's nothing more annoying then finishing a swim, getting changed, syncing your device to find you were only a few lengths away from your length target you've set in your head. It just makes sense to have it on the watch. I use the goal setting but that only tracks the time of your swim. I'm more bothered about lengths. 

After using my Fitbit swimming for several months now it's just becoming more frustrating. I seem to hover around the 55-65 length mark and can never progress passed that. I feel part of that is to do with how I have no clue how many lengths I'm on whilst swimming. I don't have the length data meaning I can not push and challenge myself to do more then I've already done.  It just seems daft to me to only show that information on your phone which you can't use on the poolside at most pools.

I'd love to see this feature added to the watch. I feel like it would make a massive difference to a lot of swimmers out there. I know this is a feature on some of the other Fitbit devices but not the Charge 3. I feel like it's a really simple thing to add which would make a big difference. 

Anyone else agree?

kerryjayne
First Steps

This is something I have also raised with fitbit, surely a quick update can put the lengths on there, i'm a keen swimmer too and would like the lengths displayed on the watch also. C'mon fitbit it surely mustn't take much to do.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @CheryI! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on your Charge 3. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

alex.rozov
First Steps

Hi,

I just had my first swim with my new versa 2 today.

The main metric I was seeing is the time and what I'm mostly interestted in is the number of length I did since I want to stop counting and relay on the device.

you should allow the users to choose the main visible metric - time, distance or length

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @alex.rozov, Thanks for sharing your ideas with us on the Feature Request board. I really like the idea of having this option for Versa 2.

Benna101
First Steps

You can’t see your swimming data on watch face, have to log into app! This is a step backwards, please rectify. Not even a label for versa 2 😩

Moderator edit: updated subject for clarity

Status changed to: Needs More Info
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@Benna101 Thank you for your suggestion about having an option to see swimming data on watch face.

Currently, after finishing a swimming activity, you will see a summary of the activity with all the details. Once that window is closed you should be able to see just the distance and calories burned on the watch for that activity.

Please be aware that you will be able to see just a few of the most recent activities. If you would like to see more details, please provide me with more information. 

Regarding the label for Versa 2, our team decided to just have one label that includes Fitbit Versa series (Fitbit Versa, Fitbit Versa Special Edition, Fitbit Versa Lite, Fitbit Versa 2 and Fitbit Versa 2 Special Edition).

steve2000
Recovery Runner

Hi Completely agree about the length / lap counter. This was on my original Versa but is dropped from the Versa 2 for some reason.

For most pool swimmers lengths are the key metric, then time, then possible calories expended.

It is of no use to be able to see lengths swam on the dashboard when you are out of the pool, but as I swim 50 or 60 lengths having my ld Versa keeping count was brilliant, big disappointment that was dropped on etc Versa 2 and hope it can be brought back in  an update very soon.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@adadi Thanks for your suggestion about adding the ability to customize swim stats on the Fitbit Versa 2.

We'll see what other Community members think.

MH_London
Recovery Runner

This is a huge step backwards from Ionic (that I used to us) and Versa (I understand) ... and renders the Versa 2 totally useless as a swim tracker. No-one will stop, sync & check on their stats on their phone. 

Baylor_K
Jogger

I agree. The thought that someone would stop and sync mid swim to check distance is absurd. I don’t even take my phone with me when I swim. Versa 1 offered customizable swim stats, and it makes no sense that the upgrade would offer fewer features than its predecessor. I’m very disappointed. 

SteveKem
First Steps

100% in agreement. I am in a similar situation to Steve2000 above. 

After 30 odd years of not being able to swim, i have finally got myself in the water and doing actual lengths.

I had been using my versa to keep track of lengths and having the display on to watch ive been able to go from 0 lengths to 24 in a few weeks! Its a personal goal to increase that each time i go. 

I decided to upgrade to versa 2 as a treat to myself (I've lost 2 1/2 stone, mainly by keeping track and pushing my fitbit results further each time) and was excited to go swimming for the first time with it.

I can't understand why a feature like this has been removed in the upgraded model! 

Please bring it back in an update. I'm currently feeling like i have wasted my money & should have stuck to the versa! 

SharonB123
First Steps

100% agree, this is why I bought the Versa 2 - I want it to count lengths so I don't have to.  Feel like I've wasted a lot of money!

steve2000
Recovery Runner
Hi 
Yes, this is a basic feature that was on the original Versa and seems bizarre ti drop this on the upgrade. 
Normally upgrade means improved with more functions, not less.
hopefully as the technology exists on the original Versa it would be no big deal to update the software for the Versa 2 to put the feature back.

Kind regards,

Stephen
prvs
Jogger

I agree. It is simple as versa had this, I don’t understand why versa 2 looses these features.

up vote to this suggestion. I’m very disappointed with this.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I recently received an email from Fitbit asking to complete a survey. Did it today and mentioned dissatisfaction re swim stats on Versa 2. If you've received this survey request, please take the time to complete and express your own dissatisfaction regarding the swim stats. Maybe that'll help us

datalore
Progression Runner

I upgraded from the Versa to the Versa 2 and was surprised to lose features. I swim at least 3 days a week and this lack of functionality is an issue. I'd like to add my voice to this complaint. 

MH_London
Recovery Runner

Hi @EdsonFitbit — Is there any news on this?

mithrandir2398
First Steps

Lap tracking is 100% needed!!! The Versa has is, so I don't know why it was taken out.  I don't need just a swim timer - they have clocks at the gym.  I lose my count all the time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.