Add scan food to custom food list

When you scan a label have it so you can add it to your custom food list.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

13 Comments
MarcWinNJ
First Steps

I second this. They need the ability to scan the barcode on any food so it auto populates. This is widely available. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I like this idea! It would be easier to add your daily food by sending the scanned product to custom foods. Thank you for posting your request.

MadamQ
Jogger

It would be great if we could just take a picture of the nutrition label on a product and it instantly be applied. 

Torbel20
First Steps

The nutrition facts in the food log need to be kept up to date.  Manufacturers change their products recipes/formulas constantly.  This in turn changes the nutrition facts of the product.  Once that UPC is in the system, we can not scan it in to change the nutrition facts or any of its information (could be titled as apple juice when it is prune juice).  I am continuously having to create custom foods to have the proper information when logging foods/meals in.  The nutrition facts either need to be editable or up kept better.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Torbel20! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

SmoDesignz
First Steps

I would like to be able to scan in codes to the food list that I can then add to my daily intake when applicable. Currently, if you scan an item it automatically goes on for that day. If you delete from that day, it is removed from the list.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SmoDesignz, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding to food list without it be posted to that days intake. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Daviddmh
Stepping Up

The requested ability in scanning to custom foods is spot on. Additionally requests have been made to include portion size from custom meals eliminating the need for the user to "do the math" when creating a custom meal. Both of these requests have been on-line for years without provided solutions. My question is will these be addressed and how long does it really take for suggestions to be promulgated in the app? 

dlswalker
Recovery Runner

This would be an excellent option (adding a food item you've scanned the bar code for to your custom foods list) for times when you bulk multi-item packs (for example, yogurt) and the bar code is on the outer packing that most of us discard quickly only to find later that the individual items do not have the bar code on them.

Flapjack3008
Jogger

There is no incentive to your log food with the Fitbit app since Fitbit does not seem to want to make this a useful tool. Other free apps are much more user friendly. 

Currently barcodes are not found or are inaccurate. There is no way to notify Fitbit to update their database since this is of no importance to them. 

To edit any inaccuracies you have to navigate back to the website out of the app - still be bombarded with 50 attempts to sell you another Fitbit - only to find after a tedious updates to every box that it just didn’t even save it. 

cwwjaw98
Keeping Pace
I agree with you food logging is still behind all other apps

Sent from my iPhone
redfoot
Stepping Up
When we scan a food item, the nutrition input may not match the package label. Give App the ability to clone the entry into the Custom Food area where we can edit it. As it is,we have to manually enter all information.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @redfoot, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding scan food items to custom food list. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.