Add stationary bike to auto-detected exercise

Many of us own stationary bikes for a variety of reasons and it's excellent cardiovascular exercise. You really need to add this as an option because recommended "fixes" do not accurately record minutes, average heart rate or distance. Due to knee issues, this is the exercise recommended by my doctor and PT. There is a large community waiting for this feature on the Blaze and other products.

Moderator Edit: Updated Subject For Clarity / Labels

34 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Fitbit has a spinning mode to record a stationary bike. 

One problem with auto detect is that Fitbit needs to look at the movement of the wrist. On a stationary bike with the handlebars also stationary, you will find that the arm barely moves. With no movement to detect how will it know if your on a stationary bike, or sitting on a chair with an elavated heart rate. 

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @khm617 thanks for sharing this suggestion. As you've referenced, right now SmartTrack only recognizes outdoor biking. Keen to see if other community members are interested in indoor biking detection. As a workaround, you can select the biking exercise mode on your device if that's available, for more precise results. Thanks for sharing!

lisamarieo
Recovery Runner

Hi, A tractable stationary bike option needs to be added, this should be a no brainier on Fitbit's part.  Don't understand why it's not a tractable exercise option yet as they are extremely popular.  I just got a Fitnation Flexbike.  Hopefully with the built in upper body arm bands this will help with the tracking.  I have seen where people are putting the Fitbit around there shoe laces and/or inside their socks for the tracking.....

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Hello @lisamarieo I'm not sure which Fitbit model you have. but the Charge 2 and later all have a mode for spinning. which is the common name used for stationary bicycles. 

You just have to add spinning, which is the same as bicycle but without GPS. 

How do I customize the exercises on my Fitbit device?

As for making spinning auto detectable, im not sure that there are enough of a distinctive arm movements to be Auto detection work. 

Papyrus
First Steps

I too would love to see a stationary bike something.  Perhaps if it cannot be auto-detected, add a feature where stationary bike can be manually selected when beginning and ending.  Anything would be better than manually updating though the web interface.

RPM_GW
First Steps

I do a lot of stationary cycling at the gym, I am very disappointed with my Ionic, previously I owned a Surge and it has Spinning on it and it tells me the duration of my spinning. With the Ionic, there is no Spinning option and I have to select Workout. It does not show the duration, just the heart rate and the stupid 0.03km.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
DG2
First Steps
Stationary bikes with calorie computation needs to be added to your exercise mode. There are many seniors like myself that are peddling away at home on these bikes so we don't crash. The bike function doesn't work for us. Help a senior citizen use this technology too.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @DG2thanks for sharing your suggestion about the possibility of adding the Stationary Bike workout to the Fitbit devices. I noticed this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post hereThis helps to keep the forums more organized and prevent the vote from splitting into multiple ideas. 

Thank you for your participation in the Community! 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.