Add stronger vibration on Fitbit Sense

The strong vibration setting on the Sense is too weak. The strong setting is barely stronger than the lesser setting. Most notifications go unnoticed evenly if slightly active such as working at a keyboard. A chime would be helpful. Second pulses within a few minutes later may help.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
26 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Shadywood, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding a stronger vibration on Fitbit Sense. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Guy_
Space Racer

Agree totally. It almost makes the new watches pointless,, if you don't feel the notifications.

Was hoping with the recent update it would be fixed, but no. Very disappointing.

SimpleClockPro has an hourly chime, and repeat reminders to move or drink. It is easy to miss them.

https://tinyurl.com/y5kzrqbd

mitchcin
Stepping Up

I agree..Versa had a better stronger vibration

ivanyshyntech
First Steps
I switched from the charge to versa then to the sense with the thought that it was "more advanced" and "better". Sense is definitely lacking a few things to make it "better". What bothers me most is that the vibration is way weaker then my old devices. I often miss alarms and notifications. This device is just a glorified versa with a higher price.
Guy_
Space Racer

Unfortunately the weak vibration has not been addressed, may be a hardware design fault.

If you look in the table of documentation of the SimpleVibrate app it becomes obvious why, the vibration patterns are way shorter [as well as less intense].

You can use the app to test the vibration patterns, especially you will note that it gets weaker as the battery level falls.

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ivanyshyntech, thank you for sharing this idea about the possibility of adding a stronger vibration to the Fitbit Sense. I noticed a similar idea was already posted in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post hereThis will help the team of developers to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Don't forget to add your vote and comments to Support this idea. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

NoniLa
Jogger

Fitbit Sense needs a STRONGER vibration.

I DO NOT FEEL ANYTHING !

I have had 4 other Fitbits and treated myself to the Sense. 

I am a heart attack survivor and the Sense seemed perfect for me.

IT IS NOT !

thesleepyfirefl
First Steps
I'm loosing My hearing. And two weeks ago my charger for my sense broke. You guys very sweetly and quickly sent me a replacement. I didn't realize just how badly my hearing loss had affected my ability to know when my phone was ringing until this. And I've realized I would love it if the vibration on the watch was even stronger.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @thesleepyfirefl, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see a stronger vibration option on the settings of Fitbit Sense. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

Hailey0830
Jogger

100% agree 

gkaupi
First Steps

I am using since a long time a Versa 2 and every morning the watch waked me up with a strong vibraton. Just before New Year I bought a Sense and was very dissappointed because I did not realized my wake up call. You have to wear the smart watch for the sleeping index etc.over night, therefor using a second clock for the wake up call makes no sense. I returened the sense today and wait now till the sense gets a stronger vibration feature.like on the Versa 2.

ahall1
Jogger

I have had a fitbit since they came out, and the sense is the worst, what is the pint of having their watch if you can't feel the notification or Alarm, the vibration needs to be a whole lot stronger like on the charge, I have never had to use an alarm clock but now I do because the watch will nit wake me up, so disappointed 

Shadywood
Recovery Runner

My initial comment is at the top.  I have had my Sense for just over one year.  The complaint about the weak vibration is worse after the year.  The only way that I can feel any vibration is when I am concentrating in the anticipation that a vibration should occur.  If I am not thinking about the vibration, it is missed virtually every time.  It is just an extremely weak sensation.  It also seems to be shorter is duration.  Less than a second.

As a result of this failure of the Sense design I am seriously considering an iWatch.  My wife loves her iWatch and it can do most of the same functions found on the Sense. Yes, the similar functions would take some mental readjustment to my use for function the iWatch, but I had absolutely no adjustment issues when I switched from an Android phone to an iPhone.  The only valuable function on the Sense that is missing on the most recent iWatch (series 7) is the sleep monitoring function.

I am very disappointed that Fitbit has not acknowledged the poor vibration function on the Sense.

Adendum 1/27/22:  The iWatch 7 does have a sleep tracker app available.  Taking the jump to Apple is now an option for me.

SDWilly
Jogger

The issue of weak vibration on the Sense is noted quite often in the community and also here in Feature Suggestions.  I've chatted with support multiple times regarding this issue and now deciding to post/vote.  

As I worked with support, I came up with a theory.  When testing the vibration, I feel reasonably good about the Countdown vibration.  This is because the length of the vibration allows more time to notice it is vibrating.  I feel that if there were more options on the length of time for vibration, we would be happier.

FITBIT team, please note that it seems to be specific notifications that are less noticeable, like email or text notifications.  My main issue is with the notifications during exercise, most notably the Interval Notifications.  When I am performing an exercise movement, due to the weak and short vibration at intervals, I cannot tell that I should change.  Give us an option to lengthen or pulse the notification and I bet you'll get some positive feedback.

Just my 2 cents!

Guy_
Space Racer

@SDWilly- your theory is correct about vibration length - see my post 12-09-2021 23:02 and have a look at the SimpleVibrate documentation which confirms it. You can try it to see the 8 different types of vibrate.

SDWilly
Jogger

@Guy_  - have you received any response from Fitbit regarding your app and how just a software solution to extend the duration or pulse of the vibration would likely solve most peoples issue?

Guy_
Space Racer

@SDWilly  - I don't think Fitbit will discuss that with users or developers.

My theory is that existing programs (made by Fitbit) assume a certain duration and strength as they were made to match the original design.

If it were to be fixed then may be a lot of programs would go haywire and have to be updated ( and in sync with any update ) when there are not the resources available.

So basically, although it may be easily fixed it probably won't be.

The same for heart rate, which has been medically approved for ECG etc. And any improvements would require a lengthy process of recertification with unguaranteed results.

The only thing that should be fixable is floors, as it was ok and no longer is.

Probably most efforts are now on getting the next generation of watches right from the start, hopefully.

Agilbert4423
First Steps

I rely on vibration to let me know when I have a text message. My charge 4 vibrated wonderful waking me up when I had a text which is what I need. I treated myself to a sense on mother's day and it doesn't do the main thing I need. I am so disappointed and thinking of returning it. 

SunnyJane
First Steps

I agree with comments about the weak vibration on the Sense. I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy Active to the Sense. The Samsung vibration was great and I used it to wake me in the morning. No chance with the Sense. I barely feel the vibration for SMS and calls. I love my Sense but the vibration issue really is disappointing.

FitIsJim
Jogger

I have had a very bad experience with a series of Fitbits, except for my first model, the Charge, which is still going strong after many years and is now used by my son. I upgraded to a Versa three years ago and 1.5 years later, it bricked after a recommended Fitbit update. Fitbit would not replace it but sold me a Versa 2 at a reduced price (Note: they said it was reduced, but I discovered that this was the reduced price that came into effect as the Versa 3 came onto the market - in other words, they did not ). Now, after 1.5 years (again - and after the warranty expired), the Versa 2 failed after I went swimming (nothing special, just surface swimming in a lake, but it was the first time that I swam with this watch). The battery quickly discharged over the course of several hours and now won't accept any charge. I was hesitant to buy another, but because of a heart condition, I decided to pay for a Sense with its added functionality, which arrived several days ago. Now, I find out that the vibrations on the watch are almost imperceptible (even when they are set on "Strong") and, moreover, the speaker embedded in the watch cannot be used as a chime when using the Alarm app. Ironically, to wake up each morning, I am now using my 20-year old Casio watch to wake me up! Fitbit, you can do better. At this point, I have lost confidence in your products and can only recommend that people consider other alternatives - that are both less expensive and more functional. 

Guy_
Space Racer

Hi @FitIsJim - did you know you can get a refund within 45 days from Fitbit and probably 30 days from a shop.

You would probably be happier with a new Versa 2 (which may be on offer currently) and won't have the charging, vibration and heart rate problems of the Sense, and can buy some accessories with the savings.

Shadywood
Recovery Runner
I started this thread in November 2020.  I would have expected that
Fitbit would have addressed this problem by now.  At least they should
have fixed the problem with current inventory.  This recent post would
indicate that Fitbit has done nothing to fix the pathetic vibration in
the Sense.  Their silence would seem to indicate indifference.

If and when my Sense must be replaced and the vibration problem problem
is not remedied, I would go with an iWatch 7.
FitIsJim
Jogger
I, too, am frustrated by their lack of response to this issue. I can't believe that an advanced technology like this can't replicate what has been available for more than 30 years in low-tech devices.

I considered the iWatch myself, but I can't bring myself to pay the extraordinary costs associated with it. The Fitbit Sense was even too expense for my tastes, but I was willing to give it a try.

I will likely return the Sense.

Jim
Shadywood
Recovery Runner
Fitbit has not updated or introduced any higher end devices since the
introduction of the Sense.  In the competitive world of personal
electronics a nearly 2 year void in advancement is not a good sign. Is
the company in trouble?  Lacking leadership?  I would not purchase any
of their products unless I could see signs of health. It sucks to have
products that are orphaned by the manufacturer.
McFIT_Design
Recovery Runner

I upgrade from Versa 3 to Sense.
And Sense's Strong vibration barely differs from Light (and Versa;s 3 Light too).

Strong is definitely too light and much lighter than Strong on Versa 3.

It even can't me wake up, so watch vibrates for minutes and battery is used in non-sense manner, because this prolonged light vibrating eats battery and didn't wakes me up.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.