Add subtitles/closed captions to video and audio content on Fitbit Premium

It would be useful to add the option to use/see subtitles during workouts. They are talking and I can't understand them sometimes, and the words on the screen are not everything that is mentioned. (Note that this is not only for Fitbit coach workouts, but all workouts accessable from the Fitbit app).

Moderator edit: Updated label
28 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Meeshmeesh1. Thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion.

We appreciate your candid feedback on this topic. We believe everyone should be able to access and enjoy our products and we’re working on ways to improve support for our customers experiencing disabilities. To learn more about accessibility features and support on Fitbit devices, see our help article help.fitbit.com/articles/en_US/Help_article/2469.htm

Pinsiad
Recovery Runner
Add subtitles / closed captions to video and audio content within Fitbit Premium to make it accessible to deaf and hard of hearing users.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Pinsiad, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to add subtitles/closed captions to video and audio content on Fitbit Premium. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

skstuart
Jogger

@YojanaFitbit -  I posted on a separate discussion: https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-3/Mindfulness-close-caption-for-deaf-users/m-p/4541730#M17547... Can we make sure that all videos in Fitbit app, whenever premium or not, it includes captions? I really enjoy Fitbit and have been using it for years. I would like to participate in the mindfulness part of the app but I can't because there are no captions. Thank you! 

NicoCroc
First Steps

I was impressed on joining FitBit Premium to see ‘CC’ in the controls for Mindfulness videos. I was very disappointed that these do not appear to work. 
Please do maximise effort to provide these effectively; Closed Captions support a surprising proportion of people; 40% of the world’s population are either hard of hearing, lipread, or speak English as a second language and like the ease of reading the script for clarity of understanding. 
If the CC do actually work for Mindfulness and for FitBit Coach videos, please share how to operate easily; clicking these on does not switch them on in iPhone X nor iPad Pro iOS 14+

LisaHeart
Jogger

Google now owns Fitbit, and Google's close caption/transcribing is one of their strongest features in videos, and would like for them to start the implementation of captions in the videos offered through the Premium videos.

NayRose
Jogger

I am deaf and a teacher.  Even my hearing children rely on captions.  I also can follow the movements, but have no idea if I'm breathing correctly or holding a pose correctly.  I really need to know what your mindfulness and workout videos say so that I can contribute to self care for my mental health.  Many of my deaf friends will not be part of FitBit Premium because we feel shunned out by not having captioning access.  Yes, the feature is there-the captions are not.  Google now owns FitBit and I am really surprised that in these times, and with Google being a very accessible platform for special education classrooms, among others, that the videos in this app are not captioned for us.  Its not just for deaf people.  I have elderly friends who can't hear well and would like that feature as well. 

LisaHeart
Jogger

Hello NayRose, since my complaint I've upgrade my mobile phone to the latest android, and it has google live caption on *everything* like videos playing back on the phone.

https://support.google.com/accessibility/android/answer/9350862?hl=en

Let me know if you need help figuring this out. The answer to the captioning problem- update your phone! (I have the Moto G power, under $200 unlocked from Amazon)

NayRose
Jogger

Interesting.  I have a new iPhone, so I am not in the market to upgrade/switch to android.  There has to be another workaround. 

NicoCroc
First Steps
Hi
Expecting customers to pay for a new phone so that they can access captions is not making Fitbit Prime inclusive. Fitbit must advertise caption availability correctly to start with.
Captioning capability works on many devices for other outlets, so the 1000’s who use the option will choose not to use Fitbit Prime if they are informed. Fitbit need to fix this or make it very clear how to get captions. Simply stating captions are available is not good enough.
I will not renew FitBit Prime until this is resolved.
NayRose
Jogger

Yes, I agree.

Hopefully the captions will show up on the exercise videos soon.  My phone is too new to push the captioning feature only to not have captions, so it is a Fitbit problem, not a phone issue.

I also tried it on my tablet which is android, and my iPad.

I only have prime because it came free with my Amazon purchase and if its not fixed, I'll definitely not renew when its time.

Pinsiad
Recovery Runner

I actually work in software/app development. It should not be a nice to have. It should be a feature that is standard across the Fitbit product. 
People choose to use captions for a variety of reasons, but for me I need them. And without captions it means the Fitbit app is not  accessible for many users who rely on captions. 
The solution is that Fitbit address their accessibility failings. 

Cactusgecko
First Steps

Wow, I see that I am not the only one searched in the community forum to see if there is a workaround to turn on the subtitles.

Also, I see that a member of Fitbit created a thread last year. Next month will be exactly one year, and the videos on Fitbit are still inaccessible!

I am so disappointed. Come on, what is taking so long!?!

Salatia
Stepping Up

I would like to highlight the fact that by not providing CC on your videos you are likely contravening the ADA (and a number of equivalent laws in different territories in which you trade. At minimum you should be meeting WCAG 2.0, which many international accessibility laws now use as a basis for digital content. With regards to the US, you should note that websites have been considered 'a place of public accomodation' so far in lawsuits, and as such a precedent has been set. 

All of your videos should include closed captioning, at minimum. An audio transcript would be more appropriate. The lack of these is an accessibility issue, or a possible one, for individuals with a range of conditions that can be considered disabilities. While also an issue for the elderly, those who need their sound off sometimes, there are a large number of neurodiverse individuals to whom the content is useless. For example, I watch most video content at x1.25 or x1.5 speed, as its often much too slow. I process certain types of information more easily - I can't use recipes that don't have a written list of ingredients and quantities without a number of steps first. While a workout would be watched at normal speed, because I'm engaged in doing the workout itself I find it much harder to follow and understand or retain what is being said. 

As it stands, it's indefensible that a company as large as Fitbit can't make its content accessible. I have the free Premium membership as I purchased a new device fairly recently, and sadly am regretting the purchase, as supporting a company who demonstrates such a lack of care to customers who actively subscribe to premium content doesn't sit well with me. As it stands I won't be continuing the Premium subscription once the free period ends.

HollyH28
First Steps
Did fitbit ever make it possible to turn on closed captioning for the workout videos or anything else? I saw suggestion threads about it but those are old, did fitbit ever fix this?
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @HollyH28, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding subtitles/closed captions to video and audio content on Fitbit Premium. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. Click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

skstuart
Jogger

Please make this a priority as this is currently universal— deaf and many hearing people use it now days. It makes me feel as if Fitbit don’t care. I can see all those amazing features that Fitbit can do yet will not add basic needs like close captioning. In 2022, this should not have any excuse 😕 please let me know when this is added…

HollyH28
First Steps
agreed! There's no reason that any app doesn't offer CC in 2022. When
fitbit asked my to review the app, I put this in my review.
NicoCroc
First Steps
I agree that In order to provide all round customer satisfaction, and support all those with hearing difficulties and those who do not speak English as a first language, closed captions are key. If they wish to earn from those markets then FitBit has a huge gap in potential earnings by not supporting these customers who may consider staying with FitBit if the support was provided.
It’s 2 years now since my original post about this gap; and my request for support. I am hugely disappointed that this easily fixed gap in the current technically advanced world continues to exist.
Dilbretta
First Steps

I am a new FitBit user with Google Pixel Watch.  I am floored and honestly frustrated that closed-captions/subtitles/transcripts are not available via FitBit videos/audios.  I searched FitBit Help Page and found this page.  I honestly couldn't believe that it doesn't address accessibility for Deaf/Hard of Hearing/DeafBlind community who rely on closed-captions/subtitles/transcripts for any videos/audios/podcasts/etc.  Google has "Live Transcriber" app which I use it on frequent basis as well as live caption feature via accessibility for Google Chrome.  Google bought FitBit back in November 2019 and yet, it is 2022 (3 years and counting).  It seems that our requests for a couple of years fall on "deaf ears" of Google. I concur with Salantia's posting (posted here on 13 Aug 2022) as I am not sure if I want to continue with my paid subscription after free subscription ends.  Why do I pay for some features I cannot access/use due to my Deafness?  It is not fair. 

Google and FitBit, please make this as high priority to to provide closed-captions/subtitles/transcripts available for FitBit users to be on same page as others. 

Regards,

Roni

Wildcatz
First Steps

I would use it daily if it were offered.  

Wildcatz
First Steps

Caption or subtitles would be greatly appreciated 

That could be great for the one who are not native speakers of English, I am also not a native speaker!

Tinklebella
First Steps

Subtitles and audio description should be available on all videos for everyone to have access to.

I am Deafblind and rely on subtitles and audio description and currently unable to access the videos.

We pay for the premium service and currently unable to use this service.

Dilbretta
First Steps

I gave up on FitBit and Google to make contents accessible with subtitles and audio description.  No comments or replies from FitBit and Google at all. 

I moved on to FitOn app and subscribed their services.  Their videos come with subtitles.  They offer challenges.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.