Add the "Hide Me"/hide steps from friends back

I would like the hide me feature to be added back to the options because when I am injured I don't like to have my friends being able to see my steps.  I like the option to be hidden!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

86 Comments
Sunshineme
First Steps

Please bring it back!

audreylou
First Steps

Please include in the next Fitbit upgrade the ability to make your steps PRIVATE. I truly believe this was a bad idea to remove this setting. I don't feel like people "friends" need to know what your steps are on a daily basis unless you wish to share that info with them. We invest a lot in money on your product to not be happy. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

There has to be a way, in this world or corporate greed and competition, to get Fitbit and Apple to partner up. It would be awesome to be able to sync my Apple Watch with the Fitbit app automatically--so all my steps and activity are there, I can see the views when doing challenges, etc. 

armit4
Stepping Up

Please bring this option back.  Any user should have the option of showing or not showing what they want others to see!  

DNK2
Recovery Runner

It has been almost a year since I found this thread, and I'm really disappointed to hear that this feature is still unavailable.  I had previously wished to have this feature back after an ankle injury, and instead removed all of my friends from my FitBit rather than deal with the anxiety of feeling like I was comparatively failing.  I almost added my friends back after recovering, but decided not to, and sadly am grateful I didn't, as I am now recovering from surgery that would have caused me the same anxiety.  I like the competitive aspects when I am in good health, but without the ability to properly disable them as needed, I cannot utilize this aspect of FitBit as a social/motivational tool, and will thus research different brands when I am next in need of a fitness tracker.

x-posted to "Hide from Rankings" thread

Ezel
Recovery Runner

@Superdooper : You know that Fitbit allowed this before do you?

They recently changed it so Steps is only optional to Friends or Global but, sometime around Autumn 2016 - Spring 2017:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Android-App/How-to-make-steps-private-on-Dashboard/td-p/1167493

Due to this change I am probably never going to add any Friends at all in the Fitibt-community and just be a "solo player".

Thanks Fitbit for keeping the community "Alive"! . . . . (. . . tsk. . removing functions. . . tsk)

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I'm about to delete all of my friends as there are too many things I want to hide temporarily at this point (daily step count, hide from friend rankings, my last initial (can't change my official name for 60 days...really Fitbit????). I would also like an option to temporarily completely hide my profile.  I just need a privacy break, Fitbit!  In this day and age, we should all take privacy breaks!

Superdooper
Recovery Runner

Come on Fitbit allow us some privacy when we need it without having to close down altogether. 

are0514
First Steps

Please bring back the hide me/show me option.

susanbaum
First Steps

Edited. 

Superdooper
Recovery Runner
Glad I am not the only one that wants a bit of privacy. I paid for my Fitbit so I should get the settings I want. I really do not want to have the sense of failure of being at the bottom of the leaderboard.
TOTESROPES
First Steps

"In an upcoming release, we are removing the setting to make your 7‑day step count private on your leaderboard. Instead, it will be visible to your Fitbit friends by default. No other privacy changes are being made as part of this release.

We made this change to further improve social engagement and help create a sense of community on the Fitbit platform.

Rest assured that Fitbit takes privacy seriously. You can always control the privacy of your information by visiting your privacy settings: How do I manage my Fitbit Profile?"

DNK2
Recovery Runner

Totesropes - when/where was this posted?  If this was recent, I am very disappointed to know that Fitbit has doubled down on this, as it means I'll never feel like I can add friends back to my Fitbit again.

judeobscure
First Steps

"Rest assured that Fitbit takes privacy seriously."

Obviously, not. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I’m so disappointed. I, too, would like to know when that comment/update was posted by Fitbit. I have deleted all of my friends (a couple months ago now) due to lack of privacy. It’s really not the route I wanted to take but felt I was left with no choice. This is playing a huge part in my decision to purchase the Ionic. Honestly, I wish the Apple Watch could do/measure what my Fitbit can; I would make the switch and never look back. 

audreylou
First Steps
Right!
Jhp17
First Steps

A year on and you still haven’t brought back the option to hide from a leaderboard . You are now discouraging my Fitbit usage as despite my privacy settings I can be seen on the Leaderboard. Sometimes I want to hide, sometimes I NEED to discorouge a friend from doing too much. It is not healthy to always be on show!

TraciF
Recovery Runner

I would also like the option to hide myself from the rankings/leaderboard.

Tina4
Stepping Up

I would love to have a "hide me" feature from the leaderboard friends list! I like to use my tracker for personal activities, such as cardio and weights.  Having to show up on the leaderboard gives me a certain level of anxiety when I'm not comparing to my friends, which is counterproductive to the workouts I am doing, even if my step count isn't high that week! 

Dustyguitar
First Steps

I totally agree, all areas should have the option to be private if that's what you want to do. I don't want my friends seeing my average daily step count, please change this back again.

LauW
First Steps

Agreed please add the hide me feature back, seems crazy to have removed it in the first place!

Priestie
First Steps

I don't see how removing a function improves a person's experience. I suppose I'll have to join those who have simply deleted all their friends. I mean, I'm walking 25,000 steps a day and still being beaten by a friend and it's just not fun anymore. I need to cool off the competition for a while. The easiest way to do that would be to turn this off for a month or two. I don't want to completely eliminate things. I just don't want to have to keep walking around my living room just to stay competitive. 

Jhp17
First Steps

And I forgot my Fitbit on a 10 mile walk last week but because we are all liars and cheats manual adds don’t show on Leader boards. The mindfulness training I had came in handy when I realised how ridiculous I was being so get so annoyed at being second to dropping last 😂😂 BUT I still say we need to be able hide for ours or others mental health.

Vladek
First Steps

Please bring the "hide me" feature back IMMEDIATELY, pretty please!!!!

LauW
First Steps
Totally agree with you

Sent from my iPhone
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.