Adding the total sodium consumed for the day and set goals (mg & %)

Would you consider adding the total sodium consumed for the day, as well as the percentage of sodium consumed, based on recommendations by the American Heart Association, based on the calories consumed, real time.  I think this would be very beneficial to Fitbit users.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

26 Comments
Michael197
Jogger

Add the ability tontrack sodium in take in tje fitbit app.

scootmcr
Recovery Runner

Number of grams of salt divided by 2.5 multiplied by 1000 = sodium mg.

Calories from fat is number of grams of all fat multiplied by 9.

Can you please implement these formulas as options when adding food?

I'm finding a lot of foods with zero salt that I am having to adjust myself.

Thanks.

MocT
First Steps

Sodium tracking: I have a need to limit sodium to an amount less than  the standard 2300 gr it shows. The ability to set a lower (or higher ) goal independent of calories or other factors would be very useful & appreciated

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi everyone, nice suggestion , it could be useful for many users. Thanks for sharing the idea, we look forward to hearing what other community members think. 

SEA_
Jogger

That’d be a great feature, please add it

aabruno
Jogger

This, along with tracking of sugar intake, is the primary reason I use another nutrition tracker. I would LOVE to be able to just use Fitbit! 

Mtschob
First Steps

Very surprised sodium tracking is not a feature in the app. This is so critical for so many people. Particularly those with high blood pressure. Hope it is implemented ASAP!

Sl0
First Steps

I am a survivor of multiple heart attacks/cardiac arrests and now find myself on a low sodium diet. It would be a fantastic feature for Fitbit to list daily sodium level intake. You can input daily calories max levels, why not sodium levels. Get ahead of the competition. 

Thanks

Status changed to: New
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hello @Sl0 ! Thanks for sharing this suggestion, I moved it to this similar post so you can add your vote to it. Please keep sharing your ideas with us! Woman Happy

BZilla
Jogger

Please add this feature! I want to track and limit my sodium intake. I feel that this should be as important as tracking macros for heart health. 

Morganfor2
Jogger

Please add sodium goals/tracker to the Fitbit APP. Sodium is one of the most important nutrients to track for heart and arterial health. Thank you for the consideration.

Sam8586
Jogger

I cannot imagine that anyone that uses their fitbit would not be interested in their sodium and sugar intakes. Unfortunately our food manufacturers are more concerned with selling product that protecting our health. The amounts of sodium and sugar added to our food is absurd. Please consider making the information available both on the app and the website. It would be great to have the item amounts reported, then daily total and even average chart just as we do for steps and miles, stairs, etc. 

bookworm4coffee
First Steps

Has there been any move to add the sodium tracker?

Brinah01
Jogger

I don't track calories, I track sodium.  It would be helpful to see this in the food log

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for your suggestion @Brinah01.

I moved your idea to this thread since it is related to the topic and to have the Community more organized. Once any update be available it will be communicated as soon as possible.

vajrah
First Steps

Just to echo what these users have said, this would very helpful. I’ve actually stopped using my fitbit app as much because I have to track sodium in a google doc at the moment. It is a bit frustrating since the FitBit app records sodium without any reporting, and I much prefer the FitBit app. Thanks! 

KSchnrt
First Steps

This feature would be very helpful in the Fitbit food tracking app! My doctors are always on my case about my sodium, potassium, phosphorus, oxalate, etc... Because of issues with kidney stones. One place to do it all instead of constantly having to try to figure it all out by looking up everything would make life so much better. 

Nightmusic
First Steps

Yes. Please add a dashboard item that allows you to set goals for sodium. This is more important than calories to me.

Since a standard Kidney Friendly diet also requires you to track Potassium, phosphorus, and protein, you could help us out by having the ability to have free form dashboard items that focus on specific micronutrients or just make a kidney friendly dashboard item.

for now I can’t effectively use the Fitbit food log because I have to enter the info in another app to track what I needs to know. I’d rather it never in one place. I’m sure one of the kidney foundations would be happy to help you with this. It’s in their mission.

IanV66
Recovery Runner
the ability to set a limit for daily sodium intake and monitor intake closely. I know sodium is available on the www site, but this sholud be a trackable metric on the app too,
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @IanV66, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to add the total sodium consumed for the day. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

ZeroRadius
Stepping Up
Daily sodium intake is available on the website but not on the app. Make it available on the app.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ZeroRadius, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see sodium consumed for the day and set goals. I've moved it into a similar request. I think that a lot of users would like to have this option on their Fitbit devices.You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

LizaJane59
Jogger
The suggestion for tracking sodium intake has been submitted for over 5 years. I would like to renew this suggestion.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @LizaJane59, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of tracking Sodium intake. As you mentioned earlier, I noticed that a similar feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. Please keep in mind that this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time. 

Thank you again for your participation in the Community. 

scootmcr
Recovery Runner

Hi Davide,

This is isn't really a difficult job you don't even have to do anything at the back end. Just program the website and app interfaces to do the conversion, you don't even need to store the new data as the conversion is done at the front end.

Thanks.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.