Alcohol intake tracking on Fitbit device

I will be brief .

Following a post tittled features for an average fitbit user found here
https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Charge-HR/Features-for-the-Average-Fitbit-user/m-p/823473

I was recomended to post here.
I said I will be brief. My demographic is 50 year old moderately well off family men in the UK. We use to play sports and still have the time and money to play a little tennis say. We can afford the top of the range fitness gear. We would like not to keel over before we are at least 70. Us Brits do like a sherbert ot three. It's our culture (and to a lesser and sometimies greater degree is the culture of many Europeans ).

Steps, activities, stairs,calories you are looking at fitness in a holistic way, trying to empower your users .

A  simple optional tile, maybe separate or at least seperatable from the general food log allowing drilling down into not just the calories a beer or a single malt has but the frequency of intake and units of alchohol imbibed would in my opinion be usefull for an overview of our general health.

I appreciate that some marketeers might be resistant. My demographic looks bad in lycra and dont look good in adverts!

Is your average fitbit user a fit woman or man who wants to maintain that or an unfit and unhealthy woman or man who wants to improve their wellness?

I take a guess that blokes like me will buy more of your top end devices ( and sign up for premium services) than our kids will!

Richard 
Time for a Scotch and an episode of Madmen.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

69 Comments
dannyknightuk
First Steps

It would be great to have an option to record your Alcohol and Caffiene intake, again with graphs on the log/dashboard, you could set goals to stay UNDER a desired amount each day/week. It can either be logged via the app like the water intake feature, or have a database of drinks to select from. Preferable it would be helpful to have this as a simple function on the app.

If graphs were available on the dashboard/logs then you could see weekly/monthly/yearly intake volumes and see how you have changed your habits, or how this has affected weight/sleep patterns etc.

Woostigger
Strider

Would it make sense to allow tracking of things like Caffine and Alcohol?  I am thinking anything that plays a role in why we didnt sleep as well or why our heart rate changed from normal.

I realize maybe fitbit hasnt dialed in this level of accuracy, but with the right tracking, fitbit can give us some data of possibilities why we didnt sleep as well or why our heart rate is higher.

SilverWill
Jogger

I also think alcohol unit counter and coffee counters would be be good - either as with the water intake counter, or possibly you could add units by double tapping the band...you could have the option that a double tap adds a unit of alcohol/coffee.

great product though - and if you made these extra as part of the premium service it may be mutually beneficial to user and Fitbit

richardbartram
Recovery Runner

You already have drinks set up on the food log along with their calories. You just need to add the alchohol units and a split units and calories function.

Richard 

I think this is a terrible idea. I'm a substance abuse therapist... the last thing the world needs is to have alcohol consumption further normalized, let alone normalized within the fitness/health industry. That is sending a dangerous message... One would never think "lets add an option to track my cigarette consumption/use"
Tonyrhill
First Steps

I would like to be able to input my alcohol points to the app. I think it affects my resting heart rate!

MRB83
Jogger

I'd also appreciate a special section of the log dedicated to alcohol and caffiene consumption. Infographics and visual feedback are much easier to follow.

benjaminmeyer
First Steps

I think it would be absolutely amazing to see how alcohol and caffiene intake effect heart rate and sleeping, and fitbit could tie it all together.

SilasC
Recovery Runner

I seem to remember that, at the top of the page of details for the "Sleep" section of FitBit Dashboard, there was a box into which we could input for each day our consumtion of "units" of alcohol.    I can't now find that option, or the statistics that I have been inputting over the last year.  What has happened?    How do I find that facility?

magenta
Jogger

Fitbit removed a bunch of trackers recently as part of an unannounced reduction in customer service. They refuse to tell users why, other than to say that they think it's too much work for them to allow us to track other information. They "decline" any requestst to bring back additional data tracking, without explanation. They refuse to let users access their old data in these categories. The customer service in this area is abysmal.

SilasC
Recovery Runner

Thank you, Magenta.  You have answered my query.

I had been wondering if my memory of FitBit had been muddled with my memory of the other trackers that I have also used: Garmin, mobile phone health apps, etc.    So, I wasn't incorrect!  And you believe that the lack of response from the moderators to this (and previous threads of mine asking for help on this subject) is intentional.  Were I to pay for the Premium version of FitBit Connect might I regain my alcohol intake statistics?   What other trackers have you found to have  been eliminated from Dashboard?

SilasC
Recovery Runner

Please review FitBit's recent decision to remove our ability to log each day our intake of alcohol.   I seem to have lost the statistics of how many units of alcohol that I had drunk (and logged) each day over the past months.

SilasC
Recovery Runner
Thank you for the explanation.  Let's all try to change their minds!
stiggyr
First Steps

Totally agree. I would love to be able to track my caffeine and alcohol intake. It would also be nice to have the possibility to add a customizable challenge; for instance to eat less meat, track stress or whatever..

Whimp
First Steps

I'd like to count the calories I consume from my daily intake of beer. Seeing the numbers could help me cut back and lose weight. There should be a way to record my habit.

a_plumb
First Steps

Please can you add a alcohol counter?
And look at a more in depth food intake, salt level importantly for me?

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

MIckmjm
First Steps
Being able to count alcohol units is a fundamental part of managing our health and well being. I cannot understand why FB would remove it from the dash board. Here is my vote for alcohol unit measurement within FB
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
Mcore
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Very interesting. It would be a good way to also track your calorie intake. I appreciate you sharing your request, hopefully others will vote for it so it can be taken into consideration.

WorkinItOff
First Steps

Hi, I’m currently on Atkins and have occasionally had some of their “treats” with sugar alcohols that are subtracted during the diet, but with fitbit’s food, I can’t add it into the nutrition label or subtract it from my daily carbs like I can fiber. It would be awesome (and probably easy) to add it in, and it would also be great to see it on the app as well.

Moderator edit: Labels

Bigface
First Steps
I'm for an alcohol tracker. I'm trying to cut down and I think the prospect of losing a green bar to orange or red would be an incentive to not grabbing another beer. I don't think it's 'normalising' alcohol consumption, quite the opposite - I think it's incentivising cutting down. I imagine smokers would appreciate something similar.
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarreFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hey @richardbartram thank you for sharing with us your thoughts. I believe that this suggestion would be very useful for some users. I will gladly pass along your request to our team members for review.

LMJPRO
First Steps

I would love to see alcohol tracking in the same way as water tracking but showing the danger zones of standard drinks per day. I think this would be very beneficial for people to see and track how much they are actually drinking to assist with cutting back 🙂

Healthful moderation of drinking suggests seven drinks a week for women and 14 for men. It would be great to have a way to track how many drinks I've had in a week, like how I can currently track how much water we've had each day.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 🙂

d_phlat
First Steps

+1

I'm interested in tracking the quality of my sleep with and without alcohol use, so yes I want a way to track this too.  I'm going to try setting my h2o goal at Zero and only entering anything when it's alcohol.  I just got device and don't really understand all the features and didn't plan to track H2o or food as weight loss is not my goal.  It will probably tell me I'm way underhydrated when i'm actually meeting my goal of very little alcohol 😉

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.