Alerts for low or abnormal level of SpO2 on real time

Hi, given that I'm not a doctor so this idea should first be discussed with medical persons, for what I've read, the Coronavirus determines a pneumonia and for what I know, a pneumonia results in breathe difficulties so MAYBE the Sp02 sensor could be useful to register and warn about this. So, the idea is to show the Sp02 values not only during sleeping time but 24h, even better showing the value or an alert in case o anomalies on the bracelet itself.

If we have technology to help the fight against this virus, let'us it!!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

165 Comments
holmesfan
First Steps

Yes, please make this available.

The lawsuit-fearing nature of our country is preventing some important products from making it to the populace. 

Allowing advanced technology like this to enter the marketplace is how society progresses.  

How is this different than the heartbeat feature?  Both are important to my life.  While I understand the concern that users could take the wrong action based on non-FDA-approved tech, we must trust the user to make the right decision about their own health. 

FALSE POSITIVE: If my fitbit reads 20bpm and I feel feel fine, I blame the Fitbit or how i'm wearing it.

FALSE NEGATIVE: If I'm having a heart attack and clutching my chest and my Fitbit reads 60bpm, I'm still calling 911.

Blood SpO2 shouldn't be any different:

If I'm feeling great but blood SpO2 reads low, I sit down and decide what's going on for now.

I'm feeling faint or dizzy, forget the Fitbit SpO2 readings, even if they read fine, and get help.

Seems pretty common sense to me.   

Place it in the legalese as we do for everything else that we can't sue you, put boilerplate text that it's not a medical instrument.

Then update the firmware and the software please!  Eagerly looking forward to this.

I know you have certainly considered all these factors.  You will have made a reasonable effort to communicate the right things to the user.  You won't be launching a terrible product, given that it's already on my wrist.  If you were to be sued in case an accident happens around this feature, I think the 'reasonableness' argument will help you win the day.  You've already paved over all the potholes and you know where the cracks are.  

Bmech
First Steps

@holmesfan 

Absolutely right. 

Not idea if in US, GARMIN, Whitings or even Huawei/Xiaomi band are available...but all these products are able to provide you these data but they simply inform the consumer.

From Garmin:

"Pulse Ox data is intended for recreational use only. Pulse Ox data should not be treated as any type of medical diagnosis or treatment of disease.  This is not a medical device"

RazvanClaudiu
Base Runner

It took years to get the SP02 sensor approved and the EKG for Apple Watch.

Having a tool like this on a smartwatch will cause a lot of false negatives and just overload the medical system. Doctors warned already about the EKG on the AW and how it causes a lot of people to visit a doctor when they shouldn't. The danger with these features is confirmation bias. It is that when you want to see a result, you'll see it.

That's how I ended up at the doctor because of Cardiogram (app) thinking that I'm getting a heart attack or some form of heart disease. It's dangerous to self-diagnose and no one metric tells the entire story. So, just my opinion, I'm against this. Doctors are already dealing with way too many cases and tests. Having tens of thousands more because their FitBit told them this would cause a lot more harm than good. Personally, I find the normal fever + flu-like symptoms to be good enough for self-diagnostics. And yes, there are people who don't have these symptoms but for every person who has COVID-19 and is lacking symptoms, there will be 1000 false positives. And that's 1000 people doctors need to deal with.

Marchelo
Recovery Runner

Hi disagree with previous comment.

First of all let's leave a side a question if we have a right to see this data or not. I think yes, but I not from US and may understand challenges with releasing it.

Regarding COVID-2019.

It is not a secret that pulse oximeters are used to diagnose or to make decision to put patient into hospital or make x-rays. 

FitBit do not need necessary to release all data. It is possible to monitor and show notifications with small self test (answering few question about if you have symptoms) and then showing advice to refer to gp. 

BSTracker
Jogger

I have a Fitbit versa and I want to see real time SPO2 data in app and on the watch face. Seriously with Samsung health and an S9 or later you can check your 02 levels using the sensor next to the rear camera flash. The legal risk can't be that high if it's a smartphone function! Seriously Fitbit support your customers needs or you will lose them!  Make the data easily accessible and trackable in its own dashboard entity! 

Trying2BMe
Recovery Runner

Considering that the sp02 monitor is enabled during sleep, I agree with the idea of having the option to enable it for a period of time to determine is there are blood oxygen issues related to COVID 19.

Its better than going to CVS and getting a separate device like a pulse oximeter, which are currently sold out at CVS.  Yes I know they are available elsewhere, but, why get another device?

Holtzmann
Runner

This would be a fantastic feature! Chop-chop FitBit devs! It won't matter as much if you roll it out in six months or two years. 

Harald-LB
First Steps

I was just about to buy a Fitbit Charge 3.

I am about to develop an App that warns COVID-19 patients when their blood oxygen saturation becomes dangerously low. In fact Pulse oxymetry is better suited than any other preclinical method to detect a threatening hypoxia. 

But after reading all these discussions, I guess I go better for a product from GARMIN. Right?

MaxG1
First Steps

One could leverage the use of machine learning and the vast amounts of data accessible by Fitbit to analyse (users who agree to it) the sleeping patterns and heart rates of those who have confirmed they themselves are ill. Things like irregular heartbeats can be measured as well as distressed sleeping patterns and input into a machine learning model to be trained on and learn features linking to known illnesses or even just the common cold/corona virus to inform the user of any medical issues. In this case care must be taken not to give false positives as users should not be scared to use such a feature as they should be taking medical advice from a doctor however, it could prove useful for mass testing during pandemics etc.

CorkBoulder
First Steps

Given what’s happening with COVID Fitbit needs to enable this now - either raw data or a short real time measurement as an app. 

I bought a Fitbit specifically because of the Pulse Ox capability, the EOV (overnight variation) is interesting but irrelevant for COVID, its becoming more and more clear that the leading indicator of infection is reduced oxygen in the bloo over timed, let us see what you’re collecting!

If nothing else an on-demand measurement as an app that displays and stores the data as a reference would help. Better would be trend lines over time, with alerts once you’ve reached thresholds on the trend line.  Perhaps limited to trend lines while sleeping?

If the Versa is capable of accurately measuring turn it on, if it’s only capable of measuring variations then you should say so.

Come on Fitbit, we’re all wearing Pulse Ox monitors, let us see the data! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MaxG1, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use Fitbit details to determine if someone is developing any illness. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Trevor_Ontario
Stepping Up

Noticed an interesting recent article from New York Times about pulse oximeters and covid.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html 

This doctor's covid experience would seem to indicate the value of oximeters in identifying silent hypoxia in covid cases BEFORE they become serious enough to require ventilators.  I like his conclusion:

But we can do better. Right now, many emergency rooms are either being crushed by this one disease or waiting for it to hit. We must direct resources to identifying and treating the initial phase of Covid pneumonia earlier by screening for silent hypoxia.

It’s time to get ahead of this virus instead of chasing it.

Wondering if it is technically possible for Fitbit oximeters to help in this regard.  And if it is, if the regulatory hurdles can be overcome.

Harald-LB
First Steps

I do not think that we can use Fitbit to determine if someone is developing any illness.

On the other hand, for some Corona patients spoO2 could be life saving.

About 80% of the Corona patients will have a mild generally mild course of the illness.

But for some, not seldom younger people, it can turn suddenly into a live threatening situation. An early alarm sign is the sudden drop of blood oxygen saturation below 20%.

If in such an emergency situation, the Fitbit issues a warning, this could save lives.

Leggatt
Jogger

May I also say, I am also not a doctor. However, I have worked in healthcare in my early career. 

I am aware that COVID19 is killing people, probably unnecessarily due to lack of knowledge of Sp02 (blood oxygen sats) because in this particular case it looks like the pneumonia associated with COVID19 doesn't present like normal pneumonia. It appears to be a silent hypoxia. People who would normally be struggling to breath are still functioning. This is only just become apparent. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/20/opinion/coronavirus-testing-pneumonia.html

Therefore there will be shortly a world shortage in oximeters. There is just not enough to go round to warn people when they must go to hospital. Fitbit could play a massive role in unlocking these data collected on Fitbits today. The data do not need to be massively accurate. We are talking about detecting changes that fall to sub 50-80% from a normal range is 98-100%.

Please put all your effort into unlocking this function. This could literally save your users' lives and be a massively good news story for Fibit. 

askmrhp
Runner

My Versa Lite may be the last watch I purchase from Fitbit. The watch does not have Bp or O2 and other features for people 65 or older. The apps are geared towards younger people. There are watches being sold for less money with apps that are easier to afford that are suited for my age group. I am healthy but I need more from my watch.

JackieB0412
First Steps

The SPO2 Feature would be so important at this time. I have COVID19 and really have no way of tracking my SPO2 level without going to a doctor or ER. Pulse Oximeters are sold out and have a 2-week waiting period on Amazon. It would be great to know the parameters that go into the oxygen variation chart.

DBennett
First Steps

I agree with the sentiments expressed here.  I can understand the regulatory concerns but would be a shame if there is a useful public health role for these devices that is not being fast tracked.  This issue of silent hypoxia appears to be a real problem.  If there is something the SPO2 function on the watches could be used to provide some warning of changes in oxygen levels, sounds like it could be important.  I don't think real time monitoring of % but changes vs. average could be very helpful.

askmrhp
Runner
I have COPD and it acts up when I get bad colds or flu. I monitor my Sp02 every morning. It tells me if I need my inhaler or not.

Askmrhp
GaneshM
First Steps

Since Fitbit is equipped with SPO2 sensor, It can track oxygen saturation percentage. It will be very useful in tracking COVID-19 infection. At present, it is showing only in high and low variation graph.

If it is provided actually on real time based in percentage then it will be extremely useful for early detection of COVID-19 infection.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @mortonboots, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see more SP02 details to warn about a possible COVID-19 infection. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

tripleyew
First Steps

+1 on this idea. I just got a Charge 4 yesterday and checked out the sleep oxygen variation graph from last night. I think a really quick solution (time is of the essence here, after all) could be to just expose a continuous graph of this data. For bonus points it could create a daily rhythm or something that shows if there are abnormalities. This would be great for regular flu detection as well, not just COVID-19.

turingbike
Jogger

Hey, I really hope the reason we don’t have access to our SpO2 data isn’t just that you plan on charging for it. Right now, a drop in SpO2 seems like the earliest warning sign that things are going bad with Covid. You could save lives by letting users access the data that’s already being collected. Please consider prioritizing this.

if you work at FitBit and are reading this: How many decisions will you make in your professional life do you make that can help turn the tide of a global pandemic? 

BSTracker
Jogger

So is the offical response:

"We hear your concerns and we value your opinion. In this time of global of pandemic where this information could be used for early detection and it's an interesting concept.  We'll let you know." 

Translation:

"Hey buddy that's interesting (yawn). Ok children here is a flashy 90 day premium trial we hope you forget to cancel. Now go play in the street simpleton we have bigger ABC Corp needs to deal with."

Commentary:

Fitbit please stop pacifying your customers with flash and no substance. Your market position and ethos suggest this is an obvious choice. In a pandemic world where ~ 60k people die just in the USA every year from influenza not to mention pulmonary disease or covid-19 you should try. Let's face facts here if GM can pivot from cars to ventilators at massive cost and effort you can flip a switch to turn on an existing function in your massive distribution of smart watches. You could be saving lives everyday for the cost of a day from one amazing programmer. How exactly does that fit the balance sheet of preserving the lives of your customers. Nothing says I care like sacrificing some venture capital as a tax shelter. If it even concerns you anything for covid relief and assistance for health monitoring and treatment are being fast tracked by the Federal Government (FDA). Don't be a tech dinosaur in the waste bin of history. 

gomezz
Strider

Is there scope for adding Covid contact Bluetooth tracking and notification to Fitbit devices in line with what Apple and Google are proposing for their smartphones?

I use a WM8.1 phone which will never get such an app and and Android tablet which I rarely have with me when I leave home other than sitting in my work bag.

VividEye
First Steps

Dear Fitbit,
Can you please get our Fitbit ionics and other oxygen sensor watches to send us alarms if our oxygen level falls below a certain percentage? Maybe it could help people get early diagnosis of covid 19. One of the symptoms of covid is silent hypoxia and it's deadly. If the sensor can warn someone then they can get help before it's too late.
https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/silent-hypoxia

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.