Alerts for low or abnormal level of SpO2 on real time

Hi, given that I'm not a doctor so this idea should first be discussed with medical persons, for what I've read, the Coronavirus determines a pneumonia and for what I know, a pneumonia results in breathe difficulties so MAYBE the Sp02 sensor could be useful to register and warn about this. So, the idea is to show the Sp02 values not only during sleeping time but 24h, even better showing the value or an alert in case o anomalies on the bracelet itself.

If we have technology to help the fight against this virus, let'us it!!

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

165 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @karl2020, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding an option to track pneumonia and breathe difficulties using Estimated oxygen variation (EOV). We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Adelleuk
First Steps

My Fitbit Versa is capable of measuring my breathing for the relax app. I am wondering if an additional app can be added to identify if a person has shortness of breath as this can be a sign of Coronavirus. Maybe a log of coughing and whether the person has high temperature and based on current knowledge the Fitbit could recommend whether the person should self isolate or contact the local health service.

Dnld
First Steps

The estimated Blood Oxygen feature is a great add-on.  The graph would be more useful with the addition of some Y Axis values.  In the day of Corona virus BO levels could tell people when they need to get to the hospital.

I was introduced to FitBit about 10 years ago when I joined the Harvard/Brigham Women's long term study. As FitBit's products developed I have selected newer products and now wear the Charge 3.  I like the compact style and the water resistant features although i prefer the Charge 2 watch menu over this one.

You have done a great job of developing these products.  The day I got my first little FitBit I wangled a ride on Harley Davidsons prototype LiveWire electric bike.  Got to ride it on the street down to Revere Beach for 20 minutes.  Harley is just starting to sell that product at too high a margin.  You on the other hand have put great products in the hand of many of my friends.  

Thank You

BTW: I can't wear my FitBit when I ride my 2009 HD FatBob.  The vibration fools the watch into thinking I'm running and a 3 hour ride wipes out the battery.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Dnld, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Adelleuk, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

henleyb
Recovery Runner

Might be a silly idea but could the SpO2 sensor be used to monitor a drop in SpO2 levels and give the person an early warning that they may have Covid 19 since it seems to affect oxygen levels after infecting the lungs.

I realise a drop could be due to various things but a healthy individual suddenly seeing a drop over a few nights/week may indicate a possible infection of Covid 19? I don't know anything about SpO2 monitoring levels and have no medical background, just a suggestion for others that are more qualified to consider.

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @henleyb, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about getting an early warning regarding the covid 19. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

Mamaschlitz
First Steps

In light of covid-19, please update the software to allow for oxygen monitoring all day and by percentage rather than variance. Lives could be saved!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mamaschlitz, this is a good idea. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Jake_Pretot
First Steps

As I understand it, a couple different FitBit models have an oxygen oximeter built into the watch. FitBit, can you please verify that the sensor is available and in which models?

That being said, the sensor it not available in the API. We are in a pandemic crisis and if measuring SpO2 saturation is available on FitBit devices, then it should be enabled.  

techprof
Recovery Runner

@YojanaFitbit , in your reply to @Mamaschlitz you provide a link to the wrong post.

Hoping Fitbit will take quick action on features that could be quickly released based on mostly existing development to help address this global emergency, bypassing the usual process. Hats off to those of you who came up with this excellent idea for expanded oxygen monitoring.

TP101_au
First Steps

I've been surprised that Fitbit hasn't developed this further. It could save lives with the Covid-19 Pandemic, even before that asthmatics and those with other medical conditions could be helped with this technology. If you're already gathering the data don't you have a moral obligation to allow people to see it and potentially save their lives? Even if it has to be manually activated to save battery power if that is an issue or give people an auto or manual option.

With other smart watches that DO allow people to see this data Fitbit will start to lose customers if they continue to drag their feet on allowing access to this data. Loyalty to a brand only goes so far.

twburke
Jogger

SpO2 is measured while we sleep for variations, the Charge 3 tracker I have has the capability - why can we not measure in real time like with other brand trackers?  With the symptoms of COVID-19, letting folks see where their SpO2 level is would help them see if something is potentially going on with their lungs and oxygen absorption...  I spoke with Chat Help about this.  Sooner rather than later to help folks during this difficult time...

Bill-C
Recovery Runner

to Yojana, fitbit moderator that reviewed this request.  The request is asking about SPO2 readings...not EOV

You stated    "Hi @karl2020, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding an option to track pneumonia and breathe difficulties using Estimated oxygen variation (EOV)."

EOV really does not provide any useful information in my opinion.  It seems to be the GO-TO answer for all request from Fitbit's loyal customers that have been asking for access to SPO2 data that fitbit collects every day.  Dont we have the right to see all data that fitbit is collecting when we wear the tracker? 

Just release SPO2 data.  I would be happy to acknowledge and agree that viewing SPO2 data is not being provided to diagnose health issues.

Just like I know heart rate readings may not be accurate, # steps taken may not be precise.   

Please stop using EOV as an answer to all request your customers have asked for SPO2.

thank you for your consideration.

Bleeh
Runner

EOV far less useful than seeing actual SpO2 data.

The only reason I can imagine for Fitbit's refusal to expose the data is that Fitbit plans to charge for the SpO2 data under their Premium service, which right now is less than compelling.

It's a rip off, just like hiding our heart rate data while sleeping behind a paywall. It's our data, Fitbit! And we want it!

TyGuy226
First Steps

It's great that COVID19 is bringing light to the need of the SPO2 sensor being put to it's full potential. I have to use my galaxy s7 that has a "stress" meter that measures the SPO2 and heart rate in real time. I've suffered from a spontaneous pneumothorax so I check my levels often when I feel chest pain. BUt maybe the "stress" meter is something to look at as well.

shuey
Jogger

Please provide option for tracking O2 levels continuously as an aid to Covid-19 detection &/or monitoring.

Fit1968
First Steps

Come on fitbit don't be lame, so many companies have pulled out all the stops to make a difference in this time of emergencies. Blood ox sensor are sold out because they save lives and we all have them on our wrists. Just display the live data on the app! You can add a disclaimer the FDA is not going to kill you. 

karl2020
Jogger

Guys, I don't know what to do..I open this thread almost one month ago but as you can see nothing is moving...I wrote directly to the moderator, to the CTO of Fitbit, wrote on twitter but...no answer at all. It seems that this idea should go via the normal procedure for which after an amount of votes it's considered by 'someone' etc etc etc..

If you know how to push it, please do because I don't have any other ideas..

thank you

bye

Bill-C
Recovery Runner

Karl2020

There are threads in the users community going back to 2017 requesting Fitbit to show SPO2 readings that the device has been collecting.

Viewing SPO2 data is why many of us purchased the device.  Fitbit kept promising.....but has not delivered.

2+ years later, we still do not have access to the collected data.

Dont hold your breath waiting for Fitbit to provide the SPO2 data......although that would be a good way to test the accuracy of the readings:)

slht78
Jogger

any update on this? Would be really helpful if it gets bad. I bet other folks could already be needing this feature right now.

Bmech
First Steps

I can understand to be legally concerned about spo2...but why are Garmin,o Whitings even  Honor/Xiaomi able to provide these data using a simple indication "not for medical use". Why? Would you monetize on spo2 data on Fitbit premium?

During this COVID19 we are going change for other makers, honestly advertising 3 months free is far less important and useful than provide sp02 percentage

pkong
Jogger

I think it would be a good idea for FitBit to make SpO2 data readily available to its users, even if its accuracy is not considered to be up to medical standards (unless it is wildly inaccurate). I suppose another thing they can do is track EOV 24/7 if they are not confident in the accuracy of their oximeter; if the precision is good enough, this data can still be useful. FitBit, please help us out during this time of need. Pulse oximeters everywhere are sold out or are marked up 300%. For some of us, the FitBit is the next best thing.

Bmech
First Steps

@YojanaFitbit could we have an update?

Does Fitbit understand the community is asking to release data (our data) already available in a different way? We are not asking for any major development or programming? Do you understand that? 

• Not expecting to use these feature as the Bible but in this thought times and considering the unavailability of oximeters this "stupid" implementation can help to save life. For example Living in uk instead of receiving "stay home 7 days" with a <90% (precise or not, can be 92 or 88 during the entire day) I can directly say "need assistance because my saturation is not normal". Let's go. In other case you can inform us, so I can buy a cheap honor band for 30£ instead of my Alta hr or my versa (400£ and not able to read MY o2 saturation )
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.