Allow GPS tracking on Fitbit device for more exercises/workouts

Right now the ionic will only connect to GPS for the run or bike functions. 

There are other activities which would be nice to track as well such as kayaking, hiking or rollerblading. 

It would be nice if there was a workout with GPS type you could use and then go back into phone app and define exactly what type it is. Or better yet if you click on the generic workout with GPS icon on the Fitbit you could then scroll through a bigger list of activities. 

I ran into the problem this morning where the only way I could track my kayak trip was to use the bicycle function. But then when  I went into the app it would not let me change the type. 

Thank you.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

36 Comments
Kellyld77
Base Runner

Could you enter a exercise which is unamed and then it could be used with the gps to track a exercise which isn’t listed  so you can get your distance and speed and split times. As the ionic has built in gps why can’t the gps be used to measure distance for activities not listed, I used bike for my rowing but as the distance is measured in steps it was over 1k  out but after syncing with strava it was accurate.  This would be useful for the outdoor rowers, canoeist, outdoor swimmers etc. 

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kellyld77, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Currently it is not planned to release this feature. 

Jacob.R
Jogger

On fitbits with GPS exercise functions and shortlisted sports, allow all sports to be shortlisted and have GPS tracking for all as well

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Jacob.R! Thank you for sharing your idea with the Community. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

CoolDad67
Jogger

Here is another vote to add a generic "Exercise" type that allows GPS tracking which could then be edited for the specific or custom type.  Limiting to walk, run, hike, and bike are too restrictive. The other option would be to allow changing the exercise type on the Bike one (which isn't step based).

Please consider adding this.  

B2rt
Jogger

I often go kayaking or rollerskating. I would love to track gps data with "workout" in exc

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @B2rt, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. At the moment it is not planned to implement it. Nonetheless you can still add your vote.

ARobinson
Base Runner
Add GPS option for tracking rollerblading/skating
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ARobinson, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to use GPS to track rollerblading and skating. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

ohynek
Base Runner
I would love to have a possibility to log GPS data for general Workout option.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ohynek, thanks for sharing this suggestion about being able to track your GPS data when using the Workout shortcut on your Fitbit device with us. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here as this will help us to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. We'll keep tracking this request over time, so please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.