Allow More Fitbit Devices than Ace to Family Account

I am frustrated that I cannot give my Fitbit blaze to my daughter and use the family account. The only device it will allow you to since is the Ace. The Blaze is far better and it would be extremely useful to her. The only way I can have her use the Blaze is to lie about her age and create a single account for her. Please allow other devices on the family account for minors. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

654 Comments
calliegsmith
First Steps

So is this saying that the child specific watches & OS operate in a different, specific way to adhere to this law, and therefore that’s why those are the only watches I can add as a child account? Just trying to understand! Thanks! 

Odyssey13
Community Legend

@calliegsmithas far as Fitbit seems to be involved, they specially made the Ace series for younger children. A family member had the Ace and when they turned 13, they just switched over to an adult account with the Fitbit device of their choice - Inspire 2. The data from these devices is specific to the age of the user, so changing the date of birth to use a different style Fitbit, would change the comparisons of that data, too.

calliegsmith
First Steps

I’m not sure that answers my question. I want to add my child to my family through my account, but it only allows that child to set up the Ace series. My situation is such: I want my child to have my old versa, but be linked to my account as a child account. And you are saying the COPPA law answers that? 

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @calliegsmith, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about allowing more Fitbit devices to be connected to the Family Account with us. Because this product feedback was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

Aiteira
First Steps
Fitbit should allow other devices to be set up in a child account, not just a Fitbit Ace
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Aiteira, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about allowing more Fitbit devices to be connected in the Family account with us. Because I noticed this product feedback was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

CasiHundorf
First Steps
A child's account should be able to connect to any fitbit watch, not just the ace series. I am upset that I just bought an inspire 3 for my 12 almost 13 yr old and we cannot set up her device on an account connected to mine. This must change, this is ridiculous.
Talooka
First Steps

2023 and this is still an issue. Wow.

Setting the age to a child's age should just disable the social media aspects of the app. Simple solution.

ValerieLaurie
First Steps

It's been 5 years. How has this not been actioned yet??? Got my 12yo a Versa 4 and had to sync it to my account (and I just don't get mine anymore??)

It makes zero sense that you wouldn't allow any/every other device to be connected to a child's account and allow that control. Get on this, please!

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about being able to set up any Fitbit device in a Family Account with us. I noticed this product feedback was already requested in this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback idea by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

CutGlass
First Steps

I found this while considering buying an Inspire 3 for my child's birthday. He will be 11, and won't wear a device designed for a 6 year old.

This really feels like it should be easily fixed by software to limit data collection and functions to fall within the legal requirements, and then have the devices themselves available to all ages. Since this hasn't been fixed in the last 5 years though, I doubt it will be fixed before his birthday and I'll just be giving that money to a different company instead. I will also be considering moving my own account when it's time to replace my own current Fitbit. It feels frustratingly pointless and unnecessary.

RMichl
Recovery Runner

Der cutglass, 

Consider taking an Ace 3/2 and buying a Band for the inspire. The must have the same Size and mechanism. 

Graeme_T
First Steps

Hey CutGlass - I agree totally, there's zero reason why this couldn't easily be accommodated by simple software engineering.

As you say though, this request hasn't moved in the last 5 years and given Google's current propensity for removing features from the Fitbit platform I don't see it going anywhere quickly. Like you, I'll be moving away from the Google / Fitbit ecosystem when it comes around to replacing my own device, that won't just affect me though. I'll be taking my wife and daughters accounts with me. There are now multiple devices out there competing in the same space - Amazfit, Mobvoi and the obvious one: Garmin to name but a few. It's at the point now where I think Fitbit don't have the nailed on appeal they used to and it's down to issues such as this and the removal of features. All of which seem (IMHO anyway) to be intended to push people towards the Pixel watch, a platform which doesn't have the same appeal.

LFC808
First Steps

When will this be addressed? I have a 12 year old that has a phone and we supervise her activities.  Why can’t I choose to provide her a Fitbit style she likes and supervise her activity? I can’t move to my google account because of this…

gayters
First Steps
My son is 11, and has been keen to get a new watch/tracker for a while since his last one died. We have used Fitbit in the past, and are comfortable/familiar with the interface.
Why - why on Earth! - is the only option for a child to use a baby-looking "Ace Kids Tracker"? What self-respecting 8, 9, 10 + year old is going to want that?
Finnbhennach
Jogger

BTW, it's ironical that if the Original Poster on this thread had an 8 year old at the time, they would now be 13. If Google had stopped selling the FitBit brand they could've just waited the problem out by now.

Odyssey13
Community Legend

@gayters  COPPA is the law - click to learn more

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @gayters, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about creating Fitbit devices appropriate for older kids with us. A few similar ideas where already posted in this board and you can see them here:

Please support these ideas by adding your vote as this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

KalladyFam
First Steps

I would have thought by now this would have been updated. My son is on the spectrum and for his funding it’s required that his device has a heart rate monitor, which none of the kids ones do, so obviously we went with an ‘adults’ one and got the charge 5. I would like to be able to have the family account with the charge 5 set to my son

francesca1499
First Steps

This would be extremely helpful. We have hand me downs as well, that are perfectly good watches, just upgraded to a different one. Trying to get it set up for our children was so frustrating just to find out only the ACE was an option for them. Please change this Fitbit!

Cherry111
First Steps
Make ace 3 kids easier to set up and include adults
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Cherry111, thanks for sharing this product feedback about being able to connect more devices to the Family account with us. Because this idea was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. This will help us to make sure the product feedback shared here doesn't get confused, or split a popular vote. Please click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

JoseTortola
Recovery Runner

In the Family Link parental control settings for a 12 year old's account you can choose, for example, if you want to allow them to use games and apps for +16 years old or even access X videos from their phone. These are all options that Google gives you in Family Link. However, I can't give him permission to use a Fitbit activity wristband except an Ace 3. I can't allow him to use a Charge 6 or an Inspire 3 because "they're not for kids", when all those wristbands do is have an online data dashboard.

Well, I would sincerely appreciate it if, in order to comply with the legislation on data protection of a minor on the internet, Google and Fitbit would give me the option that a minor can use the bracelet I want and block access to that data on the internet instead of directly preventing me from using a bracelet that, by the way, is not clearly outlined on its official website a clearly visible warning that would be totally necessary (and legally actionable) of "product not valid for children under 13 years".

And I see that this problem continues to grow, because the initial suggestion was opened 5 years ago and they continue to sell products that block by software for use in supervised accounts and without legal warnings clearly visible on the product page. What is specified exclusively on the help pages and not on the product page and other things like the EULA are not validly legal since they are not required to make the purchase, by the way.

All the other members of the family currently use other Fitbit products such as Charge 5 and 6, but in view of such nonsense, if Google and Fitbit do not offer us a solution to this problem we will all switch to another brand where we can be ALL members of the family with the product we want, where the control of the privacy of children is a PARENT'S BUSINESS, and we will never again even consider a product and service as disastrous as Google and Fitbit.

Mcav75
Tempo Runner
Fitbit should allow all Fitbit devices to be set up with supervised Google accounts. It is needlessly intrusive to prevent this facility.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Mcav75, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about allowing more Fitbit devices for supervised Google accounts with us. We noticed this product feedback was already requested on this board, so I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.