Allow More Fitbit Devices than Ace to Family Account

I am frustrated that I cannot give my Fitbit blaze to my daughter and use the family account. The only device it will allow you to since is the Ace. The Blaze is far better and it would be extremely useful to her. The only way I can have her use the Blaze is to lie about her age and create a single account for her. Please allow other devices on the family account for minors. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

651 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us @thewarden1618. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

Julia_G
Ultramarathon Racer

At the launch of Family Accounts only the Ace can be added.  It would be great if other Fitbits could be added (especially a waterproof one -- so waterbabies can play too!) and also because many parents like to hand-me-down their Fitbits to their kids when the parents updgrade.

cecilia.pearl
Recovery Runner

The Flex 2 is not an option. The band is not secure especially for a child. 

Bunnybear_05
Pace Setter

For some kids, the flex 2 is just fine. I wish it would've fit on my kids wrist because its waterproof and slim.

Julia_G
Ultramarathon Racer

Hi @cecilia.pearl, you can buy cheap and colourful elastic bands that secure it really well -- Google Bit Belt for Flex 2, for example.  I am told they make it really secure.  

I only mention Flex 2 because it is wateproof.  The Versa and Ionic are also water/ swim proof, but some parents may not want such expensive items for kids -- and the Ionic, at least, would probably be very large on a youngster's wrist.  The Flex 2 would be really super, as long as it was secure, for a younger kid who might not need a watch...

But my main point is, leave the choice of Fitbit to the parent!  It doesn't have to be only the Ace.

MariaPl
First Steps

I completely agree Julia_G. We should be able to choose any Fitbit device of our choosing and link it to our family account. We bought our son a Fitbit Charge 2 and basically, we have to lie about his age to create an account for him because that particular device cannot be linked. It is really bothersome and I've contacted customer support and got no real answer. I'm very frustrated.

Beetree
Base Runner

This aspect really bothers me. We still have a couple of zips about. There’s no reason a child shouldn’t be able to use our old zips. Fitbit is only forcing customers to buy new. A perfectly functioning Fitbit should be able to be used not just trashed. 

AcadiaMedia
Jogger

I am with most of the others here.  I gave my blaze to my son but I don't have the option to create a child account because of the shortness of vision by the company.  Please open up the app and devices so that we aren't restricted to one device for our kids.  Think long term for potential revenue if that's what it takes.

mbowden16
First Steps

My son got the Ace today so I created a family account. My daughter got a Charge HR over a year ago and I'd love to add her to the family account and we're really bummed that isn't possible. It'd be a great way to keep tabs on each other and cheer each other on.

Mange_J
Base Runner

Question, some here mentions they can't create accounts for their kids due to their age. Is there a limit? I sometimes lend my "work fitbit" to my daughter aged 13. Disconnects it from my account and connects it to her account. It's a bit of a hassle but doable. Have not tried the family account yet as I had my suspicions it would not work out for whatever reason.

Can't you guys create regular accounts for your children? How old are they?

Is it with these child accounts possible to monitor height as well as weight?

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please enable the application to allow for existing Charge 2 to be used by kids.

I would like to hand it down, and surely there is no technical limitation for it to be used by kids.

Please don’t let marketing shticks limit the products, as I’d be more likely to upgrade my own device to a better one, than buy an Ace.

Thanks.

Alienpuppy
Stepping Up

I just learned that the family account is only useful with the Ace tracker.  This is very annoying, as I've already purchased a Flex 2 for my son.  Please provide the kid account features for all trackers.  Only offering this on the Ace makes me worry that Fitbit is more interested in a money grab that actually providing a useful product.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

scooterdk
First Steps

Come on FitBit - only allowing the ACE to be paired with a child account is a blatant attempt to make us buy stuff we don't need.  My daughter has been given an Alta, which is essentially the exact same device with some minor software differences.  This policy is inane and costly.  Booo!  Epic fail.

Alialiii
First Steps

My Alta (with the new strap) fits my 8 year old son perfectly on the tightest setting.  I said he could have it when I read about the family account, but when it didn’t work he was so disappointed I gave it to him anyway.  Surely it would be safer for Fitbit to know who was using the device than having a child have to lie about their age or use an adult account?  We have 3 fitbits in the house already and won’t be buying the Ace, especially considering the Vivofit Jr 2 is only £60 at the moment!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Hi there, I feel there should be the option available to add other trackers to the family account rather than just the acer. All trackers are suitable as it is tracking steps not exercise calories or weight loss. And that makes any Fitbit suitable. 

heidivhe
First Steps

Both my daughters got a Alta. Instead of buying an ace, I bought them an alta because they could see all the features. They also use the sleeptracker (sleepwalking) and reminders (medication and bedtime). Therefor it would be that much easier if I could get those into the family-account.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I bought my kid a fitbit flex.

It would be awesome if I could add that to my family account.  It's kind of ridiculous that you can ONLY connect a fitbit Ace to a child on your family account.  

mommafbbug
First Steps

I committed to Fitbit assuming (from friends who use and a friend who works for Fitbit) it is the best option in the industry for all users - including families. I am disconcerted to see - via the forums here - that only recently did Fitbit develop a family account and that ONLY the Ace is compatible with it.So disappointing. I want my daughter to be able to use the Flex2 and have her progress be easily viewable on my account (she doesn't have her own device). It's on me for making this assumption - sounds like Garmin is much more family friendly. But since I've already invested in Fitbit products - I would be thrilled if the service caught up to users' needs. (And if it has but what I've found on the forums is out-dated - I would love to know!). Thank you!

BethinSac
First Steps

Yes, this is a big problem and will probably lead me to return the Ace. My kid does swim team and we really want her to have a waterproof device in addition to her Ace. If this issue is not going to be resolved soon, we will return both the Ace and the Flex 2 and go with the Garmin Vivofit Jr., which isn't as nice as a Fitbit but can be worn in the pool and synced to a child account on their system. This is too much money to spend for my kid not to be able to use her Fitbits as they are intended.

samart7
First Steps

I realize the child's Fitbit is a fairly new thing for you guys but it would be nice if I could link my old Alta for my daughter under the family profile. She is young enough that she does not have a phone of her own but she has been seeing mom use the Fitbit for quite some time and wants to participate even though she doesn't have the Fitbit Ace. I can't be the only one who's upgraded and has an old Fitbit lying around for their kids

Booga-23
First Steps

I was so pleased they finally added Family Account but now totally disappointed the Fitbit are forcing us to buy a specific tracker when we already have a perfectly good Alta.

Please allow other devices to be added to a child account.

Please also rethink marketing strategies that make you look greedy.

Kellykate79
First Steps

Agreed. I’m rather frustrated that my kiddos can’t use their existing flex fitbits with the family accounts. I was thrilled to see the family account option, and then let down when I learned that to take advantage we’d need to buy more gear. No thanks. 

Tigsay
First Steps

Seems a little misguided from fitbit, surely it should be up to the consumer if

@thewarden1618 wrote:

I am frustrated that I cannot give my Fitbit blaze to my daughter and use the family account. The only device it will allow you to since is the Ace. The Blaze is far better and it would be extremely useful to her. The only way I can have her use the Blaze is to lie about her age and create a single account for her. Please allow other devices on the family account for minors. 

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity/Added Labels

they want to buy a cheap child fitbit or a more expensive one for their childchild. If I was CEO i would let the consumer have more choice and invariably bring in more dollars 

CBradford
First Steps

I didn't even know this was an issue and we just bought our son a Charge 2. Now I'm super frustrated as well. When will this be changed?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.