Allow Music transfer from phone

In the near future, please incorporate the ability to transfer music directly from your phone library. Preferably, this feature would even be available offline.

One grievance I have here is that it can only be done, online, with a computer installed with the FitBit software.

It seems minor, but, there are plenty of reasons this feature is troublesome; for example:
-can’t be installed on a computer (administrative rights on a work computer?)
-or not being able to connect to the internet (when traveling)
-or the connection is terribly slow.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

305 Comments
mrboingo
Recovery Runner

@Sybwazz

You can adjust the prompting for a passcode to only happen when making a purchase through fitbit wallet.  Go into the app and click on the Ionic icon and from there (under general) go to PIN and choose "Enabled for wallet only".  This stops to prompting for the pin unless you make a purchase with your Ionic. Hope that resolves that annoying issue (It bugged me as well). 

TwistSplice
Recovery Runner

Fitbit moderators.....hello from the other side.........

DevilDoc8432
Jogger

If this is already under development, please excuse the duplicate suggestion.

Abk1978
First Steps

Please make music easier to get on the iconic, like from your phone. This set up/process is so tedious and like the Stone Age. You make this feature available, great in theory, but so much works and such a headache to implement. May just make me go for the Apple Watch. This is ridiculous!!!

Jencairns66
First Steps

Total agree would love to load music from the app on my phone 

Ictiosapiens
Jogger

This would save so much time! As well as taking away the planning required when going away on a trip. With smartphones now days carrying ALL our music, it now feels like a massive limitation to be restricted by onboard storage, so a direct phone-watch music transfer would be ideal.

terminalmage
Recovery Runner

It's 2017. The idea that we should have to connect to a computer to sync media to a device is just baffling.

JoyE74
Recovery Runner

This watch is too expensive to not be able to use all of its features!  I don't have Win OS, I have a Chromebook and Android phone.  This is very irritating.

hottgi
Jogger

Using Linux... Make it possible to transfer from the phone or release a FitBit Connect for Linux...

**ahem**, we are in 2017 dudes

OggyC
Recovery Runner
Yes, a Linux version of the fitbit application would be nice.
Souls04
First Steps

any update on this. Got the iconic after requesting it for Xmas. Music through the watch was one of the main reasons i upgraded from Charge HR. I find myself unable to use it because I don't have windows 10 and no Mac and there is no other way to do it. surely this should be fixed by now? May need to get a refund for the price that was paid for it and not being able to use all the features because of something like this and find a different watch. Such a shame cause as ive said been upgrading with fitbit for 3 watches and about 5 years.

PJQuinn
First Steps

This would help me so much 

Runnermike
Recovery Runner

People are moving away from computers.  I store all my music on an IPad and phone.  No computer.  Please enable music transfers from those devices.

Claire0805
Jogger

Please give us the option to transfer music to the iconic without using win 10 or Mac. Not everyone has a pc or uses windows 10. 

CamWRose
First Steps

My wife just purchased the Ionic for me for Christmas and I was really looking forward to using this watch for my workouts and fitness tracking. I was drawn to it because of the ability to download playlists directly to the Ionic. That being said now I'm trying to do this and can't believe how archaic this is. I do not store any music on my PC and I run windows 7 because I barely even us my computer for anything anymore. This is poor engineering, you should be able to download music directly from your phone. I have a google pixel 2 and all my music and playlists are through google play. I'm giving serious consideration to just returning this device and getting a better smartwatch with Android 2 that makes this very simple to do. If anyone has a workaround for this please let me know.

dianegabrick
Recovery Runner

I just got off chat with fitbit for this same reason, bought the ionic and the headphones, very expensive for both $429.  Could not figure out how to d/l music to the watch, come to find out I need a mac or windows 10, I have neither, the suggestion was to PAY for Pandora..... Ummm No.  Looking at switching to another brand of smart watch... So sad if I need to do this as I have been using fitbit since 2015 and to dish out that much money when all the advertisements for the phone tell you nothing about having to have a mac or windows 10.  I am past my 45 days of purchase, waiting on reply via email from fitbit......  Very disappointed customer

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The ionic is able to control the music player on the phone. 

dianegabrick
Recovery Runner

But I don't have music on my phone either,   I was able to find someone who posted how to get around this problem I am having, but Now my fitbit wont reconigize my wifi.    I give up today,.  Just copied from the person that posted this. Directions if anyone needs it.  I have NOT been able to correct this yet

Steps that have worked for me on both Win7 and Win10 devices using LAN and WiFi connected PC:

1. Install the Fitbit Connect app (Download)

2. Use Windows Media Player to create playlists. 

3. Open Fitbit Connect app you just installed

4. In Fitbit Connect app click "Manage My Music"

5. Go to Music App on Ionic and select "Transfer Music" and wait for Fitbit Connect to find your Ionic.

6. Fitbit will scan your "Music" folder for playlists. (If it doesn't find the playlist use the Settings menu at the top right to set your music folder, usually "C:\Users\yourusername\Music\Playlists)

7. Click the circle to the right of your playlist and wait, you will get a progress bar at the top with an ETA.

CoulterJames
Base Runner

I agree. The music transfer process needs to be made much simpler and quicker. I managed to transfer music onto my Ionic yesterday from my Mac using the Fitbit Connect app. It took 2 hours to copy two playlists with a total of 80 songs. Here are my suggestions for improvements:

1. Sync directly from phone - the Ionic is already paired with the phone and the phone has my music and playlists on it - why do I need to sync from a computer at all?

2. Perhaps Fitbit could implement some kind of drag'n'drop interface whereby the music storage folder shows up in Finder/Windows Explorer (or the Linux equivalent) when the Ionic is plugged into the computer via USB, this way I can copy music file(s) directly onto the Ionic without the need for the Fitbit Connect app at all.

relaylauraD
First Steps

PLEASE... get rid of the dependency on desktop! It was one of the main purposes of purchasing Ionic - to not have to be tethered to desktop... nor have hands, pockets, etc. full of devices. I throw in my vote for a "sync from phone using the FitBit app" option - it would indeed be icing on the cake for an otherwise WONDERFUL wearable! Woman Happy

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@dianegabrick this looks like it was copied from the Ionic User Manual

Robbietot
Recovery Runner

Hello, 

I don't know if this was talked about or not. I would like to use my Iconic to its full potential but when I went to put music into it, I need a computer with a Windows 10! !! haven't bought a computer in years, especially now that phones are getting better and better. Or having to be a prime member of pandora! Anyhow, can't an app or software patch be made for us to be able to sync from the phone to the watch? 

Thanks 

Maaginen
Recovery Runner

Please do this. I rarely use my laptop and I’m running Windows 7. It shows my playlists but doesn’t pick up the songs. It’s frustrating to spend all day trying to get it to work. 

Rosy89
Jogger

Yes I’m kind of annoyed as I have an ionic and it didn’t specify to have a mac or windows laptop on any packaging in order to add music to my watch. I have an iPhone X and a iPad Air 2 and my MacBook doesn’t work its currently broken.... I don’t need the use of it for work and I’m certainly not going to buy a new MacBook just to transfer some (300 songs) music to my new watch.

This is a really basic way of adding music to another device, I’m better off just using my iPhone so annoyed as it’s a £300 watch and can’t make use of a function had it two days already and I’m thinking of taking it back and wearing my charge 2 again. Even the heart rate on the ionic isn’t that accurate and the strap is useless and in two days I have redness round my wrist and I started to feel that within a couple of hours of wearing it. 

Also the notifications side of it are so slow and delayed there’s not really any point to this feature. All in all I’m seriously disappointed with my purchase, back to Argos I think 🤔 

dianegabrick
Recovery Runner
I would return it, ive been working with fitbit and they still cany help
me, i am out of date to return
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.