Allow Music transfer from phone

In the near future, please incorporate the ability to transfer music directly from your phone library. Preferably, this feature would even be available offline.

One grievance I have here is that it can only be done, online, with a computer installed with the FitBit software.

It seems minor, but, there are plenty of reasons this feature is troublesome; for example:
-can’t be installed on a computer (administrative rights on a work computer?)
-or not being able to connect to the internet (when traveling)
-or the connection is terribly slow.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

305 Comments
csmret15
First Steps

If the reason for having music on my Ionic is to eliminate the need to carry my phone then I suggest you allow me to transfer music from my phone to my Ionic. Like most people today I don’t have a computer. I use my phone and tablet for everything I need. We should be able to transfer music using the App on our phone. You can already transfer data, Apps, etc. just add music as an otion.

Choder669
First Steps

Please do this, I'm planning to return this if you can't release an upgrade with a different method or fix the problems with the desktop app. I have 56 days left to return please reply immediately so i know what my options are. Quit ignoring the whole community

dianegabrick
Recovery Runner
I am returning my device
admmck81
Base Runner

Or at least connect to some FREE mobile music players like Google Play Music or iHeart Radio. Only being able to use Pandora PREMIUM is ridiculous. We already paid for the watch, we shouldn't need to pay extra to use all of its features as well.

Runnermike
Recovery Runner

@csmret15I agree completely, I also posted the same, no response, no apparent action.  Very frustrating.  I have also posted about the failures of the GPS tracker.  I thought the idea of the Ionic was so we could dispense carrying our phones anymore while we run-apparently not.  I think I failed in the up-front due diligence exercise.

Wblackledge
First Steps

I do not own a computer and would really like to be able to have music on an Ionic when I buy one.  If there was a way to do it from the phone app or the website that would be the best.   This feature would make purchasing the Ionic a no brainer of a decision.

dianegabrick
Recovery Runner
i sent my ionic back today because you cant
transfer music as they describe, they suggested i purchase pandoa. I will
be switching to samsung watch to pair up too my phone
DevilDoc8432
Jogger
Agreed.

Sent from my iPad
Status changed to: Under Consideration
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi and @TwistSplice and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. This is being discussed although I do not have a firm commitment or timeline at the moment. Please continue to vote for this feature suggestion whilst it’s under consideration.

Please note that if something is under consideration and chosen for development, it can be a while until it's released or until I have any news to share. Please watch this space for any updates! Thanks for your patience.

MichelleM89
First Steps

I dont think you should have to use a laptop/pc just to transfer music files. Not every person keeps a computer anymore and its a huge inconvienece trying to find and old laptop just to download latest windows or itunes or having to ask to borrow someone elses and then download music from your phone to then transfer to pc then ionic. Not impressed! A simple option would be transfering files from your phone which im sure is where most people keep there music! I mean its a problem that can be rectified its just the hassle that goes into it when everthing would work so much smoother and quicker from phone.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Please add your vote to the existing request @MichelleM89

MichelleM89
First Steps

Im completely new to the community and dont knkw what excisting one you mean? Can u tag me in it plz? 

@Rich_Laue

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I thought I added it above, done. @MichelleM89

Ladycaz
Base Runner

I totally agree I'm a chrome book user and the fact that i have find a pc or apple (YUK) computer is a real pain in the behind!  Plus the software to transfer 105 songs for my gym music took nearly 2hrs!!! so so bored now!

Ladycaz
Base Runner

I would love to see other OS like Chrome as i absolutely HATE Windows!! But have had to install the fitbit app on there so that i can have some music for the gym, (well it is a fitness tracker!) but for 105 songs it took nearly 2 hrs or sheer boreham! 

lrpannell
First Steps

Yes, please do something about this!!!  There should be no reason why we cannot access the music on our iphones from our fit bit ionic. 

mschardein
First Steps

Please, I use amazon Music to download to my phone, it doesn't allow downloads to computers (at least that I'm aware of...anyone have a workaround?).  I don't want to pay for Pandora, I just want to be able to transfer my music from my phone to the Ionic, and finally get some use of my Bluetooth headphones.  Such a let down.   And when you fix that, can we add some canned text replies.  Not so smart, smart watch = Ionic.

Robbietot
Recovery Runner

@lrpannell hey hey. Don't exclude us droid users!!  ;)) 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@lrpannell the ionic can access music on your phone. See your user manual or the online help guide.

This request is about transferring music from the phone to the ionic without the need of a PC. 

lrpannell
First Steps
I get that the request was to do it from my phone.

Sent from my iPhone
Becca505
First Steps

Hi, I bought the (very expensive) Ionic purely for the ability to listen to music without my phone present on runs, however, this need to use a computer has me baffled! (I have an ancient laptop that does not support the fitbit program needed to transfer music!) Please figure out a way for us to transfer music from our phones! I saved up a while for this ionic, I would have to return it if I cannot use it for music...I will just use my Charge and my phone like before...sigh...

Robbietot
Recovery Runner

I would personally return the item. Unfortunately my time is up. But people have been bringing this topic up since September and nothing has been taken care of and we are almost in March. Almost 6 months and we all get is "watch this feed for updates"! I think 6 months is plenty of time. 

Not to mention this was absolutely poor poor planning of the company not to be able to transfer music from your phone, of just simply from your computer. 

Funny how after you purchase things is when you truly find the bugs. 

#stepupyourgamefitnotbackup

Abk1978
First Steps
I agree!!!!! I am sooooo disappointed in fit bit. I posted on this topic on the community board back in November, and like you said nothing has been done. Even a "we hear you and are working on it" from fit bit. Wish I could return mine. But will discourage everyone I know from buying this product. Hello it's 2018!!!!!! Not being able to transfer music from our phone is outdated and antiquated. Come on Fitbit!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone
busaqer
First Steps

please answer guys, when i will be able to transfer music from my android phone!!! am traveling with no computer and have no wifi and cant add my new purchased music. very very sad. 

@TwistSplicewrote:

In the near future, please incorporate the ability to transfer music directly from your phone library. Preferably, this feature would even be available offline.

One grievance I have here is that it can only be done, online, with a computer installed with the FitBit software.

It seems minor, but, there are plenty of reasons this feature is troublesome; for example:
-can’t be installed on a computer (administrative rights on a work computer?)
-or not being able to connect to the internet (when traveling)
-or the connection is terribly slow.

Robbietot
Recovery Runner

They don' seem to care!!! Been an issue since September of last year. So now i tell people at my gym, to purchase something else. I personally brought this issue up myself 2 months ago, and not one moderator said Any thing or update us. They can't do something this simple, we can all forget about those red sensors that were supposed to pinpoint our sleep patterns to tell us we might have sleep apnea. If you just bought it @busaqer id return it. The only plus is the swimming aspect. Which is why I initially bought it, and I'm not a fan of Apple products. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.