Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally

I think you should be able to sync with your phone and then upload data at a later date. Let us store data locally so that an internet connection is not required to see current stats.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

646 Comments
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

You can not delete a moderator will probably merge the two threads. 

Gingeremma
Jogger

His odd!! They are not even linked!

jamessmiths
First Steps

Who can tell the best product among those listed on this site?

https://buylatestwatch.com/best-triathlon-watches/

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It would be good to see the last 30 days worth of data without the internet.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@jamessmiths none of the trackers have the ability to cache the data locally you still need Internet. 

@SunsetRunner your Fitbit tracker has a 30 day buffer within it. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @pohlcat01, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on your Fitbit devices. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. This is not currently planned at this moment. Learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. I hope to see you around.

peteblackfox
Jogger

I work in the Navy and spend most of my time away from an internet connection. It makes my Fitbit relatively redundant on long deployments. It would be helpful to have an opinion to sync to a laptop and upload the data when an internet signal becomes available. 

DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @peteblackfox, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding the possibility to have offline sync and storage, this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here as it is not currently planned.

Keep sharing your ideas with us! 

Almants
First Steps

Hi,

I have 2 issues wit the Silent Alarm set up. 

1. In the newest version of the iOS app, quick access shortcut to the Silent Alarm set up screen was removed from the Dashboard. Now it is very inconvenient because it take 3 more steps to get to the same screen. Before it was 1 step.
  2. Could it be possible to make a Silent Alarm set up without internet connection? I'm unable to set Silent Alarm in places where I don't have internet available (usually it isn't available because of expensive roaming prices). Alarm has nothing to do with all the data synchronized with the cloud so could it be done without internet? 

Why it is so important to me? Because I have a shift schedule and I need to set up new alarm every morning at different time. So now every evening a lot of tapping on the screen.

Thanks!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Almants, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see the option to sync your alarms offline. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

edgewalker66
Base Runner

A 'Local Mode' would allow users to choose that the data collected by their fitbit device would only be transmitted on their own wifi network (or via bluetooth) and retained on the phone/laptop where they installed the fitbit app.  When Local Mode was chosen, no fitbit device-generated data of any type would be sent to fitbit and/or google servers/cloud.

This Local Mode feature would mean existing users of fitbit could choose Local/Privacy Mode if they had concerns about the google acquisition until they had time to evaluate google's ongoing performance relative to the storage, security and monetization of health/fitness/diet data generated by fitbit devices. The Local Mode feature should also assist in reassuring future potential purchasers of the devices. For those who are unconcerned about the data issues, they simply do not enable the Local Mode feature.

Implementing the Local Mode feature would seem to be (a) consistent with google's stated position on allowing users to take control over their data and (b) should also reassure regulators who now have to consider if this buyout is in the interest of the public.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @edgewalker66, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on the Fitbit app. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Tonyryb
Jogger

You should be able to set time/timezone and alarms, and perhaps see some exercise history, when you don't have internet access. I was in Tanzania for 2 weeks without internet access and this was a real shortcoming of the app.

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Tonyryb! We wanted to let you know that your idea recently posted is similar to other ideas already posted on the Feature Suggestions Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing suggestions:

Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally

Change Timezone on Fitbit Without Being Connected To The Internet

Sync Clock and Alarm using Bluetooth only - no need for Internet

Please always do a search first, in case someone else has already suggested your idea, or something similar. That's the best way of keeping the board focused and making sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. Thanks for participating in Feature Suggestions!

Itsawayoflife5
First Steps

Can you please make syncing to mobile phone by Bluetooth only? The sync process always struggles on the "locating device" stage. If I'm inside there is no chance it will find my device. 

Why does it need to have location to find the device? Can't it find the ionic simply by Bluetooth?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Itsawayoflife5, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option with Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

athafoud
Recovery Runner

It is known the the computational abilities of the FitBit devices (especially the ones without FitBit OS) are limited. 

What I suggest here is to run some correction algorithms and identify trends or activities or server side and then "push back" those corrected values to our dashboards. Similar offline analysis is done for the Sleep Stages and Sleep Score in my Charge 3. What I list below are some suggestion based on my observations, I am sure that many more think can be derived due this offline data analysis.

• We know that fitbit mostly counts movement that steps. And some times I may get an extra step while I am at the couch and try to reach to my glass on the coffee table. Since for the last 10 minutes and the next 10 minutes I was not moving this step can be counted as an error and removed
  • Similar to the above, is also the know driving issue that thousands ir user are reporting the last years. This can also be fixed with some offline step analysis.
  • My charge 3 uses connected gps. Sometime when I am inside on a treadmill my phone loses or misreads its gps signal and fitbit app logs an non existing movement through buildings as exercise. This again can be fixed
  • Similar to the above the are time the the fitbit does recognize my outdoor activities. I may walk (in fast pace) for over an hour and fitbit fails to recognize the activity.

Notes: 

#1 Based from what I see I suppose that something like this is not implement. But if it is implemented it is probably need some tuning and also more visibility

#2 Please do not confuse (and do not merge) this request with some existing like "Fix my step count while driving". While what I am suggesting here can be a solution to that, it can have many more applications. So I consider it something more general.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @athafoud, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option with Fitbit. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

MDeagle
First Steps
The Fitbit products should send the data to the phone to be stored locally. Then, when the phone get Internet access, the data should be sent online so it can update your Fitbit's account with the data. Furthermore, there could also be an option to only use data locally if the user want to.
MDeagle
First Steps

You are doing camping, canoe camping or even travelling and you do not have Internet? It should not matter because you could still sync and keep everything on track! You could still see your progress and your statistics on your phone and update your profile/account later on or few days later when you got Internet access!

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @MDeagle, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to sync offline. This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

BigMalc
First Steps
Looks like other discussions on this suggestion are restricted/closed BUT the feature exists.
Surely it is a no brainer to implement it.
Internet is not always available and Mobile internet when roaming can be prohibitively expensive and not an option. I'm new to Fitbit but looks like it will be next to useless in more remote locations!
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @BigMalc. Thanks for taking the time to explain why you would like to have the option to sync offline to the Fitbit app. This idea was already requested in the Feature Suggestions board, so I’ve moved your post here to make sure the suggestions don't get confused, or split a popular vote. While this isn't currently planned at this moment, we have left voting open so we can keep tracking this request over time. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

kjxn189s12
Jogger
Make future Fitbit watches to work in tri-band. Bluetooth, WiFi and 5G based on preset rules. When no WiFi, then 5G, When watch detect phone is near then Bluetooth. If no Bluetooth then WiFi.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @kjxn189s12, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the more options for offline syncing with the Fitbit app . This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.