Allow Offline syncing / Store data locally

I think you should be able to sync with your phone and then upload data at a later date. Let us store data locally so that an internet connection is not required to see current stats.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

646 Comments
NavyKen
Stepping Up

I see this idea was first submitted in 2013 and is still "reviewed by moderator,"

I am in the military and spend months at a time at sea on a Navy ship with no internet, sometimes for up to 4 months at a time.  I will lose most of my data before I return to an internet connection, the ability to sync with my laptop for storage until I return to someplace with internet would be awesome.

Thanks

joelmanuelq
Recovery Runner
For people that is a problem to have Internet all the time is necessary sync offline because the fitbit is not complete if you can see all your progress with the app please doing something about this. Thanks
joelmanuelq
Recovery Runner
HELLO
mrtiburon02.
First Steps

To whom may concern. I have found out a defect you could fix in future models of your devices. Syncronization with other peripherals, especially tablets or laptops, must be online and this is a hindrance if you are offline. Please take this into account. Yours sincerely

mrtiburon02.
First Steps

To whom may concern. I have found out a defect you could fix in future models of your devices. Syncronization with other peripherals, especially tablets or laptops, must be online and this is a hindrance if you are offline. Please take this into account. Yours sincerely

technick
Jogger

Mobile apps need to have temporary local storage at the very minimum. Not being able to access my fitbit data from my tracker while i'm in areas without service is poor implimentation of technology IMHO.

pandrew86
First Steps

This needs to happen. Why you need a network connection to change settings such as the silent alarm and the time is beyond me. The ability to upload data to the app using bluetooth without a network would be great as well. Being without network for 30+ days at a time means i can't actually see anything my device is recording.

I would love to know if and when offline syncing would become available. While deployed there are months I have no internet but I do have my iPhone. Tracking this article for updates.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree that data should be able to be locally stored. Would be nice to integrate this into a local file/storage, or just allow users to integrate this ability to dropbox, onedrive, etc... This way they dont have to send ALL of their data to the cloud, which who knows what is being done with... Fitbit should give users the options of what information they send to their cloud instances.

maccgeelong
First Steps
I would love the idea of this as I think it would benefit alot of people that work in areas that have little to no internet connection (military) that use your product even if it was stored on the app when there is no internet connection and then later updated on fitbit site maybe even a limit of a week of data store locally. Also the Silent alarms would be grate for this option.
joelmanuelq
Recovery Runner
Please we need sync offline is very necessary when we don't have Internet connection is a simple process please fix that and for me all we be perfect thanks
Jennwren
First Steps

I work, along with thousands of other employees, in a secure facilities were fitbits are not allowed because of their wireless (wifi) features.  I use an old manual stepper and enter steps into my activities log at the end of the work day, of course these steps will not reflect in challenges.  Anyway, I woud love to have a fitbit model that is non wireless and can be authorized for use in secure facilities.   Any chance or ideas to help me get a non wifi fitbit?

Jenn Wren

JohnRi
Premium User
Pace Setter

Question, can you have a Cell phone in airplane mode?  If so you can add your cell phone as fitness device, and have it track your steps.

Dominique
Marathon Racer

Actually, the wireless part of Fitbit trackers is not wifi, it’s Bluetooth. It probably doesn’t make a difference as far as your facility’s policy is concerned. I think the Fitbit Ultra (now discontinued) would be the only one that would fit your requirements: unlike all later models, its connectivity was via USB (if memory serves). You may be able to find one on eBay or the like. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yup. It's a challenge.  No cellphones.  No blue-tooth.  No electronic devices.

No option atleast on Fitbit Flex to disable the bluetooth. 

I haven't found a solution....will watch this topic....

Julia_G
Ultramarathon Racer

Hi, all, you might want to add your votes and comments to this feature request .  The more votes received, the more likely it is to be implemented.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Awesome when everyone can use a Fitbit. Heart

Jennwren
First Steps
Thank you for the reply, but no, we cannot do that either. There are lots
of us in our business that are fitbit junkies, but no wifi in our spaces.
We have asked swcurity at the highest levels and even our three star
general is equally looking for a solution. So, any other ideas? Can we get
a special version of fitbits for us in our environment.
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Jennwren

Fitbit trackers aren't capable to turn off the bluetooth component required for sync'ing. If there were special trackers available with this function then likely Fitbit would be selling these on the Fitbit Store. Likely it needs a change in hardware to be able to turn off bluetooth like possible on any smartphone, though it can increase the price of the tracker to purchase.

It doesn't use Wifi, it uses bluetooth instead.

givememyinfo
First Steps

They will not give us this feature because they are making money off of your info.

givememyinfo
First Steps

Allowing offline use of the fitbit tracking software.

joelmanuelq
Recovery Runner
Please we need sync offline I don't understand why is a problem easy to fix. I want to buy a fitbit surge but with this problem I think that I don't want.
terrypaine23
Keeping Pace
My husband works offshore and has limited areas of his rig with wifi in order to sync, offline syncing would be highly beneficial for those who use their fitbits offshore. Please fix this issue, thank you
Pronik
Jogger

Its problem not for my tracking data, its problem when I want cahge alarm for example. If I need to turn off alarm or add diferent time alarm I cant do that without internet.

Please solve this issue in future

Sarcastus
Jogger

Please make the Fitbit+App combination able to be stand-alone.  I want a Fitbit since it is the best one on the market, but it is essentially useless without setting up a Fitbit account.  I DO NOT WANT ANY OF MY DATA ON ANY OF YOUR SERVERS!  Ever.  Period.

There is absolutely no reason for you to require this except to mine that data for your own interests.  I know I'm not the only person out here who actually cares about data privacy. 

I want to use your product, but I can't until you care as much about protecting my data as I do.  Your stated privacy policy is great, until you get hacked and you lose my data.  Servers outside my control are not worthy of storing my data regardless of how well you claim to care about my privacy.

I'd even be willing to pay for a stand-alone, cannot talk to your servers version of the iOS app so you don't have to try to make money by mining my data. 

Please, give those of us who actually care about our data a means to use your products.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.