Allow access to NFC API

I want to develop an app that uses NFC tags and while I searched the forum I noticed that there are others who also interested in making an apps that using that feature (like opening doors etc) so it would be nice if you allow the developers to access the NFC API.

Thank you,

Shlomi.

11 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
JonFitbit
Fitbit Developer
Fitbit Developer

Thanks for the feedback Shlomi. Can you elaborate a bit more on your use case? Thanks

shlomi
First Steps

An example,

I want to open a door using the NFC sensor and log the activity every time I'm doing that, therefore I need access to the NFC sensor, this is just an example.

LosTChG
First Steps

I would also like to program an app to control access to my house, for example. There is untapped potential here.

pheidrich
Stepping Up

Oh, this would be so cool, i would also program a control app to open the nfc blocked door on my work.

CornyjK
First Steps

Yes, would increase the geeky value of fitbit

Boutros55
Recovery Runner

Another use case would be for logging on to my windows PC. I guess I would need a USB attached NFC reader to do that.

globala
Jogger

Would be awesome to be able to develop apps that open doors etc. Would be awesome to be able to add my gym card

TJunkie
Jogger

Auth/Access token for various uses: applications that read rfid.

Lots of arduino hardware for RFID, it would be very much preferable not to carry around a bunch of little tags or cars when the watch is already there on your wrist.

Dunemi
First Steps

At work I have a fob band I wear on my wrist to open doors with rfid. It doesn't seem like it would be that hard to transfer this function to my fitbit. After all, I already have the code for my fob, I would just need to put that number in my fitbit. 

Please please please develop this capability!

Aaroneisele55
Base Runner
I want to have access to NFC reading in SDK Apps. I imageine it looks loke this in the sdk:
import {read} from "nfc"
nfc.setOnRead(nfcRead(nfc.uuid));
function nfcRead(uuid)
{
if(uuid == "sample uuid")
{
//do something
}
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Aaroneisele55, thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about granting access to NFC reading in SDK Apps. I've moved it into a similar request. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Thank you again for your participation in the Feature Suggestions Forums.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.