Allow multiple devices on the same account (Sense/Versa series, Inspire, Charge & Luxe)

Be allowed to have both a Fitbit Versa and a Fitbit Ionic on the same account so you can easily switch between them.

Moderator edit: Title & Labels

2,034 Comments
PureEvil
10K Racer

@Brucefan42,

The bands are different colors, the trackers themselves aren't:

fitbit-bert&ernie.JPG

If you should happen to take one off the charging cable to put the other on the charging cable... you can't tell them apart.

Brucefan42
First Steps
Are you high? I don't need to take the band off to charge it. To put it in
terms you might understand, Bert is orange, Ernie is black. I think I can
tell the difference when I take one of them off the charger.
PureEvil
10K Racer

@Brucefan42,

"Are you high?"

I did explicitly say, two Flex 2's in my post...  And to charge a Flex or Flex 2, you do have to take it off the band to charge it.  You can read the instructions or even watch the video if you don't believe me.  I assume that you can actually read and simply elected to gloss over that part of my post when asking if I was high.

Even then, it means that folks who elect to get a 2nd of the same model to accessorize (and really, why not just get the band of a different color instead of another entire tracker?) have the ability to distinguish between them based on color.

The remaining folks, who claim that they want two to always have one charged (and simply get two black ones), are still unable to distinguish between the two, right?  So they can't tell the difference between Bert and Ernie.

SpidermanBob
Recovery Runner

@PureEvil

Maybe you should have used an example that was more pertinent to @Brucefan42‘s original post about 2 Charge 2’s... I missed that in your example, too, because I was also wondering what the point was, since you don’t have to take the Charge 2 off the band to charge it. 

Why are you and @Rich_Laue so hell bent on defending Fitbit’s stance on not fixing this? If somebody sets an alarm on one Fitbit, but wears they other to bed, that’s their own **ahem** fault (IMO)! Fitbit shouldn’t have to accommodate for every single possible user mistake that MIGHT happen. People will figure it out! Geez... if Fitbit spent as much money on fixing this issue as they do paying you guys to defend it, it’d probably be fixed already! 😛

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Actually @SpidermanBob, everyone has access to fit bits help site and the user manial

This thread is not about alarms and I wish we where being paid bit... 

Brucefan42
First Steps
I guess there's a lot of glossing over going on as MY original post clearly
stated that I have two Charge 2s. You were the one that introduced the Flex
2 which I found curious. I've never even seen a Flex 2 and therefore am not
interested in how to charge one.

In any event, both of my Charge 2s are black and I have no problem
distinguishing between them. What's more, if I did want to accessorize and
have a different color Charge 2 for every day of the week why would Fitbit
want to make that difficult for me? That's SIX more Charge 2s they wouldn't
have otherwise sold.
PureEvil
10K Racer

@Brucefan42,

No, I understood that your post was originally about two Charge 2's...  That said, keep in mind that this feature suggestion was to enable it generically independent of model, I was merely pointing out how this may be horribly broken in some instances.  If Fitbit implements a feature that benefits some users and breaks things for others, it's not necessarily a win-win.

The long answer is that I'd like to think I'm pretty familiar with Fitbit products, which is to say the software and the devices.  All of the existing UI elements (sync status, device settings, etc.) are listed on a per model basis.  For instance, when you run the Fitbit app, a picture of your device (again, per model) shows up on the bottom and it shows you the sync status.  If you had two Charge 2's on your account (say Bert and Ernie), this would be ambiguous.  Can Fitbit retrofit all their software and UI to accommodate two of the same tracker?  I'm sure they can...  but keep in mind that this would need to be done across:

• Web dashboard.
  • Windows (desktop, laptop, tablet, and phone)
  • Android (tablet and phone)
  • iOS (tablet and phone)

So they would need to update the UI across nine different platforms in order to enable this...  I'm sure that the development cost to enable this would be far more than the SIX Charge 2's that you might buy if they enable this feature.  In fact, I'm not sure that if everyone who voted on this thread got an extra tracker, it would cover the development cost to enable this across all the platforms.

I've asked folks on this thread why they want this feature...  Yes, it matters.  If we know why you want a feature, we can suggest a viable workaround so you don't necessarily need to wait for Fitbit to implement this feature.  Trust me, I've asked:

You want a different color Charge 2 for each day of the week?  Just buy a different color band.  Trust me, it takes more time to sync two trackers than it takes to swap bands.

You want to have a charged tracker all the time?  Just plug it in to charge when you are in the shower (when you shouldn't be wearing it anyway).  It'll keep its charge indefinitely.

You keep forgetting your Fitbit at home because you were charging it?  Loop your charging cable through your car keys.  You can't leave the house without it.

Finally, I'd rather Fitbit spend time on more compelling features (like Team Challenges) than to enable a feature that only has a modest number (353) of votes.

PureEvil
10K Racer

@SpidermanBob

You keep saying 'fix this issue'.

There is no fix; it was never meant to work with multiple of the same model tracker.  This is a bit like saying that KitchenAid should fix their refrigerators to also wash dishes (and I'm sure that'd be appealing to some in really small apartments).

You can legitimately say you'd like to see Fitbit implement this feature, but Fitbit was very explicit in not supporting two of the same model in one account.  It was mentioned on the first day they announced the feature of multiple trackers.  This is not a bug; this was designed to work this way.

Brucefan42
First Steps
I'm selling my Fitbit stock and buying an Apple Watch. This is lunacy.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Brucefan42the Flex 2 only comes in one color, it is the container that has different colors.. If you want a different band color, simply replace the band no need for a second Flex 2

justsunnyc
First Steps

@PureEvil

Don't get why you're trying to make peoples lives so difficult. I have multiple wireless devices such as 2 charge 2. Bose wireless earphones and AirPods. I can connect as many bluetooth earphones or any apple accessories to my iPhone as I want. People buy 2 devices because they can. Regardless of the reason, the app should've have the feature in the beginning. Tech companies should anticipate that people would buy more than one of the same product. People who buy more of a product tend to share their experience with family and friends hence they would buy it. In my case of chrome cast, I have 7 and recommended it to all my family and friends who then went on to buy over 10 for themselves. People like us generate a lot of revenue for companies and if they can't find accompany us, We would have to find a company that can.

Of course there are far cooler feature suggestions but there are a growing of users who would like to just connect both devices to the app.

PureEvil
10K Racer

@justsunnyc,

I'm not trying to make life difficult for anyone...  In fact, I generally try to make life easier for folks here in the forum; read my posts if you don't believe me.  Fitbit does not prevent you from buying more than 2 Charge 2's...  The reasoning behind their adding support for multiple trackers was so users may complement features on one tracker (like ability to swim with Flex 2) to the features of another tracker (like tracking steps even if you are pushing a cart most of your day, like the One).  Getting a second Charge 2, does not augment on the features of the first Charge 2.

You mention that you have both AirPods and Bose wireless earphones...  Each pair works fine, when used one at a time...  So why can't you turn on one pair (and hand it to your friend), turn on the second pair (and put it on) and listen to the same music on both?  Your phone will likely stream to one, but not both...  Why not?  Because phones are generally designed to stream to one Bluetooth audio device at once.  You could reason that Apple should allow you to do this, so they can sell more AirPods...  but it's a lot of engineering work to stream to two simultaneous devices for a scenario that is not likely to get a whole lot of use.

The reason I ask why folks want to have two trackers because I'm familiar enough with both the software and the trackers that I may be able to suggest a simple workaround.

For example, one of my friends lamented that he wanted a second Charge...  He kept forgetting it at home when it was charging, and he reasoned that if were able to put a charged one on immediately after taking the depleted one off, he would not forget it at home.  Of course, he was right.  You know what else worked?  ...looping the charging cable through his house keys when he charged his tracker.  He hasn't left the house without his Charge since.

You're interpreting my posts as 'stop telling people that they're wrong to ask for this'.  You should read it as 'if I know why you want this feature, I may be able to suggest a way for you to get what you want without having to wait for Fitbit to implement this'.

Sadly most folks, like you, simply respond with 'it doesn't matter why I want it, they should just do it because I asked for it'...  and will continue to wait and sulk when there is likely a fairly easy workaround to get what they want.

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. There aren't currently plans to release this feature. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

mysheila1
Jogger

A lot of us have more than one tracker of the same model. Currently the app/dashboard does not allow for more than one of each tracker model.  The app/dashboard/software should be able to distinguish the difference between two of the same model just by using the MAC address.  Apple has no problems doing this with ipods/iphones/ipads; why can't Fitbit?  

And along with this feature we will need the ability to change/edit the names of our trackers on the dashboard so that we can tell them apart.

I saw another thread on this topic but it was closed and dismissed as "not going to happen".

With the ever increasing popularity of trackers and people wanting to have a "backup" tracker for when they have to charge them, you would think this suggestion would be a valid and valued suggestion.

Please reconsider this/these features. Thank you.

kathyswrites
Stepping Up

I completely agree. I just bought a second alta HR because the one I have has a scratched up face (these scratch so easily!) so I wanted one to wear daily, and one to switch to that is not so beat up. I'm trying to decide whether to return it or not (using the workaround of deleting/adding, deleting/adding) when I switch.

I can't believe fitbit doesn't have this capability. There has to be a simple solution where you can have the same device, each with a different name, be on one account.

I have also seen several forums where this is mentioned, voted on, etc. that have been going for a year. Come on fitbit. Seems like something pretty simple to do. Your programers can do a work-around instead of your customers.

Lisa.clarke75
First Steps

I totally agree, I have a Charge 2 that has a slight crack in the Screen. I just invested in the rose gold Charge 2 and would love to keep my original one for work and the rose gold for when I want to dress up a little.

so frustrated that I cannot do this 

kathyswrites
Stepping Up

I completely agree. I just ordered a new altaHR thinking I could have two. The face of mine is banged up (these faces are so soft!) that I wanted one to wear when I go out, and keep the banged-up one for working/working out. I don't like the ChargeHR because it is too big. I am in a dilemma now and trying to decide whether to send my new one back (at the loss of tax and double shipping charges) or do the work around someone suggested of deleting and adding the one I'm wearing each time I change, which will be a huge pain.

It seems to me that people who want this reasonable change are mega fitbit users. This new alta is my 5th fitbit--I started ages ago with the flex and then blew through 2 charges and now I'm hooked on the altaHR.

It's disheartening to see the other request with over 400 comments be dismissed. Please reconsider.

Thank you. I Love fitbit.

SV1
First Steps

I agree.  I just purchased a second Charge 2 device, along with a stylish new band, assuming I would be able to set it up as a back up device on my existing account.  Unfortunately I was forced to replace my old Charge 2 device with the new one.  My old one is scratched and I want to use it for daily wear, while keeping the 2nd for special occasions.  I was disappointed to see that it is not possible. I also have the Flex device and Aria scale, on my account so it never occurred to me that it would not be possible to add a second Charge 2 device.  I think it is vital that the Fitbit team look into rectifying this issue.  Clearly there is a need for it and with the Fitbit user community growing on an ongoing basis, this will become an issue for more and more people.  It would be a real shame for Fitbit to lose loyal customers for something like this.

I sincerely appreciate you consideration into this important matter.  Thank you.

Twiggyscool
First Steps

I have purchased a second Fitbit2 watch so I can swap between the two. I have been unable to set up my new watch without replacing my old watch.

I wear a watch 24/7 and hate having to put it on charge. We also live on a rural property and have a lot of outside work that scratches the face of any watch I have, so would really love to change to a good watch when going out.

Could you please advise me if there is any way I can switch between the two watches.

Thanks in antipication of your advice

kind regards 

Diane

SteveH
Community Legend

Although fitbit supports multiple fitbits connected to an account they have to be different models of fitbit. At the moment there is no way to connect two of the same model to one account. According to the following feature suggestion this is not something that fitbit is planning to change although you can add your vote for it there if you wish:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Two-of-the-same-model-tracker/idi-p/842806

Twiggyscool
First Steps
Hi Steven
I am very disappointed that I cannot register and use two Fitbit Charge2 watches especially as you can have different models registered! Is there any particular reason for this decision?
KR
Diane

Sent from my iPhone
SteveH
Community Legend

I've never seen an explanation for this from fitbit.

Pumpkinljk
First Steps

I'm also shocked that we are not able to do this.  I had a silver alta hr and just purchased the gold so that I could have versatility and am so bummed to find out I can't have them both on my account.  Please, please, please consider making this change.  Why would you not want people to buy as many of your product as possible?  Thank you.

jmoorfoot
Jogger

This is also a major failing with the Charge HR. My wife purchased 2 different colours to match with her outfits, & then discovered that she couldn't  use data from both of them without some major stuffing around. There was nothing obvious on anything we could find that mentioned this as an issue befroe we tried to sync both. Why on earth would a company make a device in six different colours, and later tell you that only one is fully supported?

notfixingit
First Steps

You can currently have a Charge 2 and a Ionic on the same account, however it would be nice to be able to have two Ionic's on the same account. Example of why, one Ionic reserved for the gym and other outdoor activities where the device may become dirty and scratched and a second for "dress/work". Also this allows for wearing one while the other is charging. This is normal in the smartwatch industry for Android Wear, Tizen based devices, and Apple is adding this feature shortly for Apple Watch. Obviously this comes with the possibility of duplicate steps etc but this really comes down to user awareness issue to avoid that problem and should still be allowed with a warning.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.