Allow third-parties to access live heart rate data (so Fitbits can act as HR monitors)

Since the Surge and Charge HR can already connect via bluetooth to phones it would be great if you could allow third-parties to access live heart rate data directly from the device.  

This would allow apps like Strava, Runkeeper, MapMyRun and others to use the Surge and Charge HR as heart rate monitors.  

Moderator edit: added label

212 Comments
Lenstro
First Steps

Is there any plans to connect Fitbit with MMF for Blaze users?

@Alphaema wrote:

I was under the impression that we would be able to use this product as a hrm. I assumed that since it already paired with mapmyfitness, that it would allow me to also connect to it via Bluetooth in order to track my workout on MMF. I bought this hoping that I wouldn't have to continue to wear my chest strap to track my hr. Will this be an option in the near future that we could see with 1st gen? If not, I'm considering returning it since I still have to deal with my chest strap. The wrist hrm was the selling point for me on this.

Moderator edit: Added Labels

gardlund
First Steps

As so many others I too bought my Fitbit for the main purpose of connecting it to Strava. I saw that there was a seamless Strava and Fitbit integration and the buying decision was made. When I got home from the store and realized Fitbit didn't share the HR data I was truly disappointed. After reading on this forum and a similar thread on strava.com, I am yet to be enlightened of Fitbit's reasoning behind this. I can only imagine that Fitbit is afraid of becoming "just a heart monitor". In reality I have found out that Fitbit has many more useful functions, for instance recording steps, sleep and giving me an easy way to keep track of my weight. It will never be reduced to being only a HR monitor. In fact, I think Fitbit would sell more products with a more open attitude - as so many others have stated.

To me it's a no-brainer - to a business analyst maybe not so much. Unfortunate.

Child5of6
First Steps

I don't want to give up my Fitbit Charge 2, but I do want to be able to see my heart rate stats in MapMyRun. So please allow this data to be transferred across.

Thanasis13
First Steps

Totally agree, this is an essential feature. They may not be implementing it due to battery drain, though...

Like many people, I mistakenly thought that I would be able to share the Charge HR data with other apps, particularly Rock my Run. I was extremely disappointed to discover this isn't possible, despite it being such a seemingly fundamental requirement. Is this likely to change and, if so, when?

yupswing
Jogger

It is really disappointing that Fitbit still does not care about sharing data with third-party apps.

At this point it has become a reasonable doubt that Fitbit is trying to force its users to use its app and its app only.

This is quite unacceptable. I made the mistake of trusting fitbit, but it has become clear that my data are locked in the app with no way to use them as I please.

Your data is not yours unless it's easy to bulk export and allowed to be shared live with third party apps.

Hope this will change, but after years it looks unlikely.

Gerjan
Jogger

It would be ideal to sync the heart rate data to third party apps like Strava or Final Surge. I'm disappointed that it isn't possible. Missed opportunity 

44mike44
First Steps

Just bought my Fitbit and excitedly went to connect it to my workout app...  then I find out fitibit believes they can be all things to all people. So my problem... return the Fitbit and go buy a heart monitor that can actually integrate or hope Fitbit will add this feature at some point and hold out. Hmm this issue was first brought up over 3 years ago and still nothing. 🤔

Mike8888
First Steps

I'm startimg to ride my road bike again and need my Charge 2 to send HR data to my Bike Computer app.  Why does it not do so?  Seriously gimped.

Kmanracer88
Jogger

Hey, I have a questions for users and a question for moderators:

1) Users, I'm pretty bummed about the heart rate syncing and looking for another wrist based device that can help inform my workout apps (but doesn't not need to be an $800 GPS run watch). Does anyone have any recommendations?

2) Moderators, I was just directed here today by a mod following get my similar question somewhere else. Looking over the years this thread hasn't been opened with little engagement by the company, I'm wondering A) is there an active goal to make HR data open, or is that ambition not one that's been decided on yet, and B) if it has been decided either way, can you please the forum know in either case, as well as a ball-park estimate of when the earliest it could come as an update would be?

Thanks

vanhoob
Jogger
Hi all
Better options as of Sept 2017:
Garmin Vivoactive HR 3
Apple Watch 3
Fitbit is not for serious sporters.
It’s also overprotective by forcing its users the Fitbit app. Their
ecosystem is not as sophisticated as Apple’s though, which looks a lot more
promising now with the Apple Watch 3.

Since Fitbit doesn’t seem to be taking our comments into account, I will be
replacing the Charge2 sooner rather than later. No big deal.

In addition:
A Fitbit app update is never a noticeable improvement.
The Fitbit strap is low quality as well. Had to replace it twice in 1 year.

Hope this helps.

Bye Fitbit.
Bea

--
Bea Selleslag
Kylataff
Jogger

We've been requesting this for years...surprised its not happened yet. Can the developers comment?

bbartek
First Steps

Please implement this feature for all fitbit models!

ThomasXTler
Recovery Runner

This would be a perfect solution for me!

AndyDawn
First Steps

I would really appreciate it if Fitbit and Runkeeper could have more integration so that Runkeeper could show average heart rate on the exercise summary.

thanks

AD

TAF3713
Jogger

Takes too long for FitBit to follow up on the obvious. I’ve seen this request for a heart rate sync with Runkeeper for so long that I too am shopping for other devices including the Apple Watch to replace Fitbit. It’s a shame, FitBit has many great features, just falling a bit too far behind with other app integration - don’t know why they have no initiative to make connections like this happen.  Cheers. 

Julesze
Base Runner

I am seriously considering getting the Garmin Vivoactive HR 3

I have an arm rather than a chest strap and would like the data from that to go into my fitness tracker app (the Garmin can do this I believe)

One thing stopping me from going back to Garmin is I love the FitBit sleep stages. Sadly Garmin lacks in that department.

I'm obsessed over watching my sleeping habits.... and I am not a hardcore exerciser... yet (someday).

That is my conundrum

kevbobb
Jogger

It would be great for my health data from RockMyRun to load to fitbit and to have access to RockMyRun and Runkeeper from my Ionic

vanhoob
Jogger
Hi all, i have not received any positive feedback from Fitbit so far.
They’re too busy launching new devices to make us buy new models just like
Apple with its batteries (admittedly misleading customers). Anyway, I am no
longer interested in buying anything from Fitbit. I don’t think they are
interested in upgrading the software and we know why. I haven’t received a
software upgrade in over 6 months!
--
Bea Selleslag
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I agree with the consensus opinion from FitBit users that FitBit doesn't appear to care about integrating with other apps. The company focus is clearly on selling product. I'm on my third FitBit (and my last?)  The FitBit Charge 2 has a HR monitor built in!! It may not be as accurate as a dedicated HR monitor, but its close enough to watch personal fitness trends. Come on, FitBit. Share the data with Map My Run, Apple Health, MyFitnessPal, etc. How can it hurt FitBit sales if a FitBit is more versatile and has open sharing of data for the benefit AND SATISFACTION of end users??? It is no-brainer. 

Jon__C
First Steps

I would like to request that fitbit make the heart rate available too 3rd party apps and/or make connections from the fitbit app to other sensors like Wahoo speed sensor for cycling (rpm's).

listerblack
First Steps

No Health app integration and no real time sharing of HR data makes this device a nice gimmick but essentially a useless one. Too bad.

Trethewey
First Steps

Is there an update on this feature?  It would be very welcome....

Flygtok
First Steps

We’re now in 2018 and still waiting for this feature. Should be a nobrainer since we are many runners using Charge, Charge 2 and RK.

can any dev person respond and describe the main issue why this is not in the feature list?

BBoumis
First Steps

I just got a Charge 2 and rely on mmf and mfp would be nice if they all worked together. it is 2017 and this thread has been open for more than a year.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.