Allow third-parties to access live heart rate data (so Fitbits can act as HR monitors)

Since the Surge and Charge HR can already connect via bluetooth to phones it would be great if you could allow third-parties to access live heart rate data directly from the device.  

This would allow apps like Strava, Runkeeper, MapMyRun and others to use the Surge and Charge HR as heart rate monitors.  

Moderator edit: added label

212 Comments
ssmith4154
Jogger

Given it doesn't appear that fitbit devices will be linked to MapMy products anytime in my life time, I decided to go a different route.  I gave up my fitbit for a Garmin HR monitor and now use Garmin Connect which syncs with MapMyFitness.

Svh83
Jogger

@LizFitbit

Seems the suggestion has been here for a while... With quite some upvotes. The ionic has been out for a while now, but there doesn't seem to be any further news about actual implementation.

I really would love to use my current fitbit ionic as a pure HRM via BLE / Bluetooth Smart for apps on my phone, bike computers, ... 

If the feature is not really going to happen, because fitbit wants to stay within it own little ecosystem, then I would like that to be communicated. It will probably mean I'll drop fitbit all together in the future for devices that can. 

TKDBB
First Steps

Good afternoon

I am a martial artist looking to upgrade from a Fitbit One to a tracker with HR capabilities.  However I can't wear a tracker on my wrist while in uniform and working out at the Do Jang.  Having the ability to pair your tracker with a chest or upper arm band like the Scosche Rhythm 24 or Polar OH1 would solve my problem.  The memory on those units allows me to save the data from the workout and sync with a tracker later.

I would prefer to stay with the Fitbit brand but the lack of pairing ability leaves me with no choice.   

viddly
First Steps

I've had a Fitbit for two days. Wrongly assumed that it would provide HRM data to my tracking apps. Stunned that it doesn't. I will be returning it and using another brand which is a shame because I like many things about the Fitbit product but it is missing the only one that I truly need.

steinline
Jogger
Totally agree. So bummed they STILL don't offer this. Are they really
afraid it will take away too many people from their proprietary app?
We would all still use that for sleep and much more. I just wanted it for
the Wahoo Fitness bike app page.
And there are a lot of people on this thread asking for it...
trlj
First Steps

I left FitBit several years ago because I could not sync with AppleHealth, or get my heart rate data into 3rd party apps. I am not a runner so a native Health integration is preferable because I don't use apps like Strava and MapMyRun.

Every year or so, I come back to see if FitBit has opened access to heart rate data so it can sync with my iPhone (natively with Apple Health or via 3rd party). I guess I'll come back in a year. 

viddly
First Steps

Yep, got another brand and it synced live with my apps within two minutes. I like the main Fitbit app better for a variety of reasons but the other brand is proving the right choice.

steinline
Jogger
can you let me know what brand you ended up with?

Thanks!!
ssmith4154
Jogger
I switched to Garmin, and I use Garmin Connect on my iPhone. Very happy
with the switch - great integration with MyFitnessPal, MapMyFitness, Health
app, and others.
steinline
Jogger
I was unable to get Garmin to sync with Strava or Wahoo fitness, and share
HR data with those apps. Do you know if that's changed? You mention map my
fitness, health and my fitness pal, but not these. Let me know, thanks.
abgmann
Recovery Runner

Fitbit would do well to share heart rate calories etc with health apps where owners earn points and credits. We are forced to select other products in the future on account of these limitations .

For example. Fitbit only shares steps with the Vitality app. Vitality will accept heart rate and calorie burn but Fitbit won't send them. Fitbit users are at a disadvantage to others who use competitor devices that do transfer such data. Just saying .Looking seriously at my other options .

timklim
First Steps

I purchased the Alta HR a year ago with the very reasonable expectation that this fundamental feature would be present, and that *easy* Strava integration (including HR data) would come right out of the box with such a sophisticated device. I should have done more research, as this is clearly not the result -- at least for cycling. So many ugly work-arounds are required to even begin to approach this, and none of them are feasible, nor should they be necessary. As a result, my Alta HR has gone entirely unused for the whole year.

If Fitbit were to release a $100 wearable whose sole purpose was to make this real time heart rate data available for third party apps via a smart phone + bluetooth, I would buy it in a single real-time-tracked third-party-accessible heart beat.

How is this *still* not a thing?

steinline
Jogger
could NOT AGREE MORE!!! Ugh.

Hey everyone, I would like to use my Padrone smart + with Fitbit Charge 3.

I’m asking you if you have any idea how to pairing the device, because it is like I can not as well if I use the Bluetooth like the manuals show me! 

Thanks 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Great idea @Federicofreddy, it looks really interesting. A lot of users who love cycling would be very interested in this integration to be used on Charge 3 and other Fitbit devices. Good thinking!

Gullivert
First Steps

I have an echelon bike and bought a fitbit so it would sync with it. I was very disappointed when I realized it the HR would not sync! This would be an awesome feature.

Lanaki
Stepping Up

My Fitbit HR has a cracked face and my bands are wearing out so it’s time to upgrade. But now I need another wearable since Fitbit still isn’t working with the apps I use most.

steinline
Jogger

I know it’s so lame

Moderator Edit: Personal info removed

SleepyMuse
Recovery Runner

I was so excited to sync my new FitBit, which arrived today in the mail, with AppleHealth and a few other apps for rewards only to discover that it can’t. I would not have bought it if I had known this in advance and will be returning it for another brand. 

steinline
Jogger
totally agree - all I want to do use the darn thing with Wahoo fitness for
the cycling app and strava, but I can't. is that too much to ask?? UGH
Ferghughes
First Steps

When will this be done...it is a must have for me to keep using Fitbit 

francojr
First Steps
I bought an Apple Watch instead! That was the solution 😒 that’s how you can understand the share value divergence between both companies

Cheers!

Franco
steinline
Jogger
But I hate the fact you have to charge the **ahem** thing every day!! Ugh
Lanaki
Stepping Up
But I can’t stand the size if Apple Watch. I love the smaller profile of the FitBit. 😞

Randi
francojr
First Steps
That’s true, they are better suited for sport lovers. Nevertheless, they break every 6 months of you are an active person. I have been loyal for 5 years but at the end I gave up due to lack of partnership with Runtastic and the poor quality of the device. I loved their software though, I still use it to track my weight

Cheers!

Franco
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.