Allow us to re-categorize exercises on new Fitbit app

I used to be able to rename my workouts, but the new update no longer allows this on the android app or on the website dashboard. Please fix this.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
182 Comments
ikiwis
Jogger

Thanks for the response.  Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to address why fitbit would remove functionality from the app that was there previously, yet keep it online where we have to go thru multifactor authentication to login. 

Hopefully fitbit will consider bringing back functionality they removed.  I have been exploring other options lien Garmin that would allow this functionality 

Batdork
Recovery Runner
What a truly bad app update Fitbit. I used to be able to change the type of workout I did after my workout. I do a lot of jump rope and until today I was always able to go in and define my workout as "jump rope" when I was done. I've always had to do that because Fitbit doesn't offer that option as one of the default workouts you can add.
barkfurz
First Steps

I logged in to post the same thing. Really frustrated that the categorize exercise feature is gone - I often have to categorize whatever I track because my workouts aren't an option for the device tracking. When you manually log exercise you don't get the same heart rate details they now provide for tracked exercises either. 

Animobe
Keeping Pace
Allow edit workout. Forgot to stop my watch, recorded for 3 hours. Could only amend the time in the app. I deleted and manually added it, so lost other data. Total daily calories didn't change when I deleted it! Also if we record a workout as 'workout' we need to be able to amend the name. This was possible in the old app before it was messed up.
CindyBPgh
First Steps

I agree completely with all the negative comments about the update.  Plus there was no warning or information.  Terrible!

Becks57
Jogger

Bring back the categorize exercise option. This last update was really bad in looks and in removing featured people use on a daily basis. 

balbip01
Recovery Runner

I cant believe this option to categorise was removed .... all my walks now show up as ellipticals - didnt really mind having to go in and change this every time it happened but now this option for whatever strange reason is removed.  What were developers thinking??  Did they really think auto recognise is so good that they thought it would be ok every single time?  I worked in IT and if we had rolled out a change like this without any consultation or notification to our users we would have got the sack...Please think again!

3horses
Jogger

Please bring back the option to categorize a workout after the fact.  Many of my exercises aren't autodetected correctly (I can't tell you how many times my workout is labeled "outdoor biking" or "sport" when it was in fact cross country skiing or hiking.  Why would the option to categorize a workout be taken away?  This omission makes a fitness tracker less functional.  I've been a Fitbit wearer for years and years, but now I'm considering switching to a Garmin or an Apple watch.  

balbip01
Recovery Runner

its either a. Developers who never exercise or b. a deliberate move by Google to nudge users away from the fitbit hardware to their own.

Scalight
Keeping Pace

agree, agree, agree. 

This is a downgrade.  bring back the categorize option.

Smythyn
First Steps

I just got back from a run and my Fitbit recorded it as strength training meaning I can’t see my splits, distance or anything else and now I can’t change the activity to a run!!! So irritating 

KLWilson
Recovery Runner

Hi 

On another community thread there are lots and lots of frustrated people on android and iphone wishing that the ability to edit a workout to be fixed on the apps and dashboard. Doesn't allow you to amend the exercise type !  

On the app if you start an exercise - you can only run walk or hike - shows the map with GPS ! So we all use that - so that you can see your miles , times and calories etc. Then we amend this to eg show cycling, Cycling indoors, step class ! Yes, you can log in retrospect - but you need to use another app to record this to fill in the details ! !  

Please bring in the ability to change the exercise type in the next release !

jhollwey
First Steps

Yeah I am giving up on Fitibit despite many years of use. Their latest updates to the app are horrid and the requests that have been outstanding for a number of months if not years have been ignored. I am getting a Withins for Christmas!

achavarria
First Steps

Absolutely agree with this. It is extremely annoying. If I don’t know what type of exercise was, I can’t compare the performance afterwards.

Brucefan42
First Steps

Last year I was able to categorize my alpine skiing which Fitbit saved as a bike ride with the Fitbit app. Strava processed the activity correctly as a skiing activity. Now, with the new Fitbit app, Strava thinks I’m riding a bike so I’m getting all kinds of segment records. Lots of people will be really upset that my skiing is being reported as bike rides and I’m breaking all their records. This is unacceptable Google. You want us to stick with your devices? BRING BACK CATEGORIZE ACTIVITY!!! Otherwise I’m getting an Apple Watch where skiing is recognized as a sport!

Fitbit Sense (makes no sense to me)

mmvda
First Steps

I also think that the fact that it is no longer possible to change the name of the activity is a downgrade. I do water aerobics and although millions of people do water aerobics, Fitbit does not list it as an activity. I used to log the activity as Workout and then change it to Water Aerobics. Unfortunately, this is no longer possible in the app now. I can do it on the dashboard in the computer, but that is not practical at all.

Baileytudor19
First Steps

This change to the app is a terrible nuisance - sometimes Fitbit misinterprets what exercise you are doing and you need to be able to change exercise category in order to make the calorie count etc work 

dknegishi
First Steps

Fully agree with this! I use the category function for all my exercises as the number of options you can select from the watch is rather limited. 
Latest release is an absolute downgrade. The app is now also super slow. After I've finished my exercise and I sync with my phone, only limited exercise details are visible. It takes up to 1h for the full exercise details to be visible in the app. Super frustrating! 

NCQ
Jogger
The change in exercise tracking took away the option to update a tracked exercise category. Since The app does not allow enough lines to list all of my exercises, at time I must choose one & change the category for one i added. Please either return this feature or allow more lines for exercise options to be chosen when beginning tracking.
balbip01
Recovery Runner
Welcome to the new ‘improved’ app😱!

Sent from my iPhone
daveo555
Base Runner

I agree!  I really miss being able to modify an activity name using the app.  When I let the Fitbit (Charge 5) auto-track an activity, it often ends up with a name of "Sport".  I want to have a log of exactly what I did and when I did it.  I figured out that there's a way to do it using the web site, but it used to be possible in the app.  That feature was removed.  Why?

Sheri
Jogger

I also lost the capability in the newest update to rename the workout on my Fitbit iphone application, which I used frequently.  Hopefully this capability will be re-instated as "Sport" is too general a name for the various activities I do.  My workaround currently is to go to the website and modify it there but I am not happy with the change as it took away a capability I used almost daily.

Fitbit help, is there any intent to give that capability back?

Hwal
First Steps
I hate the new app. I loved seeing the details of heart rate and zones for exercises. Now I can’t change an auto-recognized exercise. I have to delete and re-enter. It logs every walk as swimming. The app is so bland and ugly. It’s so frustrating.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Hwal, we wanted to let you know that the ideas you recently posted already exist on the Product Feedback Board. You can see them here where you can add your vote to those existing product feedback:

Please try to make sure you only post one idea per product feedback, so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. Thanks for participating in Product Feedback.

Brucefan42
First Steps

If you can’t give us Categorize Exercise (I used for Skiing and Rollerblading daily in season) then let us track ALL the 40 exercises that the Sense 2 tracks. This functionality is almost certainly in software so give us the **ahem** software to track whatever we want! I have a Sense and the list of exercises it tracks is pathetic and unusable without Categorize Exercise)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.