Allow us to re-categorize exercises on new Fitbit app

I used to be able to rename my workouts, but the new update no longer allows this on the android app or on the website dashboard. Please fix this.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject
179 Comments
Wendells0133
Jogger

Yes, please tell us how you did it!

judetheobscure
Base Runner

This is also.broken for me.

App never recognises any of the racket sports - variously described as aerobic exercise, elliptical, or the catch all "sport"! so I have to edit it all the time to tennis, badminton, squash, tabletennis etc. This function has now disappeared or is broken. Please reinstate asap or the app is virtually worthless to me. While you're doing it, please reinstate the max heart rate during an exercise session stat. 

LoveSports
Recovery Runner

My screen looks like Pealion's. I am an android user. In the "Activity" section Pealion posted it really looks like that should be interactive but it is not.

How did you get the old version back Pealion. You could be our Fitbit heroine!

Pealion
Recovery Runner

Hiker742 - if you are an android user you can download the installation file for older versions of the app. 

Not sure if there's a similar option for Apple users though. 

An undoubtedly it won't be long until the previous version stops working (I would assume) but for now it's still better than using the new version.

Pealion
Recovery Runner

No idea how long the previous version will remain functional, but currently it is working fine for me...

Pealion
Recovery Runner

Oh my posts keep getting deleted. 

You can download an installation file for the previous version.

I can't post the link. Even with spaces the posts are being deleted.

Pealion
Recovery Runner

https://www.reddit.com/r/fitbit/comments/16vmkaa/is_there_any_way_to_go_back_to_old_ui/

This Reddit thread has the link I used in it. Right at the bottom.

Hiker742
Recovery Runner

Thanks for the info.

dadjokes67
First Steps

I have the same request. It is an every week use for me that was just broken.

Pealion
Recovery Runner

Well Fitbit support have confirmed to me today that they have deliberately removed the ability to edit the exercise type. So I'll be moving to a different Fitness tracker ASAP. I don't have time (or money) for a company that is so blatant in providing their customers with LESS and not listening to what their customers do want (e.g. Driving mode which we've been asking to have for a decade now). 

NotAvailableAnymore.png

Hiker742
Recovery Runner

Pealion

Would you be willing to share your progress/results of checking other trackers and their ecosystems.

I started looking at Samsung as some of their features were interesting (body comp measure on watch and blood pressure, e.g.). However, Samsung does not support my e scale and they are more limited in what apps they support. I also wasn't sure how they integrate with MYFitnessPAL, which is a firm requirement for me. So I stopped, waiting to hear Fitbit's response to our requests. Now it looks like I will resume my search. Sigh, I hate big business and there are fewer bigger than Google. I knew they would ruin Fitbit for me, actually took less time than I thought.

By the way, I also hate the new data export since G took over FB.

Anyway, if we users without a company could work together and share our findings we could perhaps help each other find the right fitness tracker/ecosystem.

Thanks

Monte

Kevan750
First Steps
I’m now unable to edit my manually entered exercise, which was a feature pre this awful update!
Kfitz105
First Steps

You can, it's just not as easy and user friendly as it used to be, like everything else they changed with the update. Click on the particular exercise you want to change then click the 3 dots in the upper righthand corner and select edit exercise details. 

jbenn
Jogger

They want everyone to switch to the Pixel watch or the Samsung watch because both run on Android system, which Google owns.

sorchatoogood
Recovery Runner

Hi, So glad I'm not the only one.  yesterdays gardening logged as sport!!  before yesterday i could edit.   may stop wearing my watch and defo stop paying £8.99 a month for this

Kevan750
First Steps

Kfitz105 that’s the point… the dots have disappeared? 

IMG_9505.png

sorchatoogood
Recovery Runner
please return to the old format

Sent from Outlook for Android<>
Kevan750
First Steps

Yes, total failure here FitBit. The developers group obviously wanted better crayons! 

jennifer80516
Jogger

Same, I have searched everything, when you click on "Steps" it takes you to the data for that day and articles to get more steps. I have the 3 vertical dots in the upper right hand corner, but they only bring up Settings and Manage Data. Settings is just to set goals, Manage Data only gives the option to review and delete. 

I am doing a challenge at work and my FitBit battery died yesterday like it seems to do WAY TOO often. I have my FitBit linked to the work app, I need to add my steps counted on a pedometer to my FitBit step count.

Honestly, I hate the new app and I hate being forced to use Google as my login. I bought the lifetime premium plan years ago and I do not use my Google account for anything other than to track bookmarks on Chrome. Gmail is completely inferior to Outlook as far as functionality so why are you forcing people to create and use a Google account to use a FitBit when we already had logins?

Either way, there needs to be a way in October 2023 to manually update the step count. I did find how to "add activity" with the + sign, but you have to say you were walking and how long and it has nothing about step count. I'm on my feet all day, so I'm not going to put 8 hours of walking, I need to put the steps.

judetheobscure
Base Runner

Oh my goodness. Why on earth would they do that. They have a whole array of sports listed which are now completely unsupported. I refuse to believe that 'Lesley' is right. 

May as well get a new tracker right now if s/he is.

Katieeeee
First Steps
Please bring back being able to change the name of auto detected exercise so I don't just have lots of 'sport' down on my exercise and can specify.

Also please bring back the heart rate data in manually added exercises! Now it only comes up for auto detected exercise.

It seems like the new update has downgraded previous features!
bikepep
First Steps

The new version of the app does a terrible job of automatically detecting the type of activity. Either fix that, or restore the ability to edit that field, or - preferably - both.

I gave up using the feature to select and record an exercise on the tracker itself due to excessive battery drain; and, when engaging with GPS, no ability to auto-pause tracking whenever I stopped moving.

ikiwis
Jogger

Will anyone from fitbit respond to me?  I see someone else in the comments got a reply that this feature is no longer available. 

If the company refuses to respond then I am with the other users.  What other fitness tracking devices are out there?  This is all I use the device for and is non-negotiable feature

Geesubya54
First Steps
Since the app update it's no longer possible to edit exercises when they are recognised incorrectly eg when I mow lawn it always goes down as 'mountain bike'. This was easily corrected on the old app but customer support have confirmed that it can no longer be done.
judetheobscure
Base Runner
  • Did customer support confirm that to you specifically @Geesubya54 ? I'd like to think that 'Lesley' just got it wrong as I believe it's been reported as a bug and is due to be fixed. Does anyone know one way or the other?
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.