Amazon Alexa Support in Canada

Recently bought both a Fitbit and an Amazon Alexa enabled device. I had seen online that the two devices offer some integration, but I was disappointed that the Amazon Alexa skill is unavailable in Canada. Perhaps support in Canada can be easily added as it exists in both US and UK territories already?

29 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

solitaryprawn
First Steps

I'm sure you will find that all Alexa/Fitbit users in Canada would want this skill available again. I know I would. Lots of Alexa skills disappeared when Alexa became officially available in Canada and Amazon locked out all US apps from the amazon.ca store

TCinTO
First Steps

Yes, please! Many Canucks would like access to the Alexa skill in Canada. Can the product manager chime-in with an ETA? 

drllhowell
First Steps

Please add fitbit skill in Canada - it is really disappointing how many skills we cannot access here, but fitbit would be really wonderful!

Proteaus
Jogger

I have had my Fitbit for almost a year and just very recently purchased Amazon Echo 2 with Ecobee 4.  I cannot find the Fitbit skill anywhere.  I live in Oakville outside Toronto.  Is it not available in Canada?   Can anyone help with this?  

Auxtron
First Steps

As a customer I am also surprised to see this skill is not enabled in Canada. How Canada market is different from US market? (Except if we exclude the French, désolé mes amis québécois)

Why just not enabling it for Canada?

maureentb
Stepping Up

As a fitbit customer i am disappointed to not find any information as to when or even if Fitbit skill will be available in Canada.

It would be nice to have some information.
 🙂 

otherwise loving my fitbit

Iliyana
Recovery Runner

Please do this. It’s not hard. They just need to enable English Canada as a language in their Fitbit skill!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes, please add Fitbit to Alexa Canada.  It is very overdo.

JonnyG86
First Steps

Please add the Fitbit skill, it appears that Amazon outlines how Fitbit can do this here:

https://developer.amazon.com/blogs/alexa/post/c53176c7-2f4e-4598-935b-7e5d3b08b97e/how-to-update-you...

Caspurr
Jogger

I certainly hope this will become available in Canada soon! I got my first Amazon Echo recently and was very disappointed that I couldn't connect Fitbit to it, since knowing a Fitbit app was available was one of the reasons I got it! Crossing my fingers!

Vicky_K
First Steps

I too am disappointed that Fitbit and Alexa continues to be unavailable in Canada and that there is no information on possible availability.

Chelstar
Jogger

Will this compatability be coming to Canada any time soon?

dharmesp83
First Steps

Really we need Alexa integration in Canadian market. Fitbit team has to enable skillset for Canadian customers. It's in justice by not offering service for Canadian customers. I will not like to be a customer who gets partial service.

dodgingwrenches
Recovery Runner

My inability to get two new versas to pair with my Amazon Echos and Dot are why I have to return the two Versas I bought. Wish they had enabled the skill like people have asked, Now I am returning $500 of Versas because lf it. 😞

Vicky_K
First Steps
Fitbit is losing customers due to the inability to use Echo not a great business model

Sent from my iPhone
dodgingwrenches
Recovery Runner

It is, isn't it! And I am really bummed about returning them as I love everything else about my lavender Versa special edition. But since I have an Alta HR from before, can't justify keeping it if it won't so what I upgraded to do.

dharmesp83
First Steps

Fitbit is clearly ignoring and they do not care about Canadian Customers. I have not seen single positive response from fitbit on this matter. when we open support case they advise to communicate via community. and moderator is just ignoring. how this can be escalated? write an email to CEO? who? who can listen? is anyone who can listen? or return product? or this issue needs to be highlighted in news to get proper attention? today support said its Amazon issue, How can this be Amazon issue, Skill needs to be published for Canada Region and that is something controlled by Fitbit Developers.

AgingGamer
Jogger

An Alexa skill for Fitbit... what is stopping this from being available in Canada? If it is translation to French, why not jus say "English only" and add French later?

Why delay the service for the other 80% of Canada that can understand English?  And if it isn't language... well, then, the delay makes no sense at all

Windex
Recovery Runner

It would be cool, although probably take some work with Amazon, to integrate Amazon Music.

Something like being able to download songs and playlists from your library to the Ionic to be played via the blue tooth headphones, 

or 

at a minimum be able to control the playback of your amazon music app (on the phone) via the watch (play pause next etc).

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Windex ! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

DeSims
First Steps

I also would like this skill to be available in Canada. I have been using both Fitbit and Alexa for couple of years. 

Not sure why it is not supported yet because all it takes to launch Canadian Skill is to enable Canadian English in dev console.

@PMC42 wrote:

Recently bought both a Fitbit and an Amazon Alexa enabled device. I had seen online that the two devices offer some integration, but I was disappointed that the Amazon Alexa skill is unavailable in Canada. Perhaps support in Canada can be easily added as it exists in both US and UK territories already?

Ursinos
First Steps

I just bought an echo dot, and learned that it was possible to link it to my fitbit...

Then I learned that the skill was NOT available in canada.

This suggestion was put here a year and a half ago, but it seems like there has been no action on it.    Fitbit, can we PLEASE get this enabled for canada?

K2kraky
Jogger

I just looked as well very disappointed in Fitbit not being available to me here in Ontario Canada and I have the amazon echo as well as echo show. I also heard it won’t log food. I certainly hope it comes to Canada right away with food logging capability. Please respond Fitbit . 

Ziggybumwa
Jogger

It’s coming up almost 2 years since the first suggestion was made and sadly no movement on the fit bit skill in Canada. Obviously there is a demand for it, but Fitbit is too busy selling new release watches with Alexa that we can’t use. It would be nice for Fitbit to respond and say thanks, “this is the reason why” but it’s probably something too simple so we continue with nothing. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.