Ambient light sensor (measure light-exposure)

It would be great if data from the light sensor on the front of my versa was available in the API. I would like to see how much light I get exposed to throughout the day. Thanks!

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

7 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TeeJay001, thanks for sharing this suggestion. I think it's a very interesting feature, let's wait and see what people think!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I second the request, and I'd like to use the ambient light to make decisions about color selections. For a clock face I'm playing with, I would like to change the color based on the ambient brightness. For example, many phones can automatically make the color palette less blue at night. I could do this by time-of-day, but I'd prefer to do it by ambient light level. In full sunlight, I want the numbers to be white-on-black for maximum readability. When I'm out playing sports, my preferred blue numbers are nearly invisible. But in a dark theater - even in the middle of the day - a dim red would be much easier on the eyes.

Shucks, Fitbit's own clock faces could easily incorporate this as an option, and MAKE THAT A SELLING POINT! It works for Apple, after all.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yes please! There's a wearable tracker called SunSprite that helps you track your exposure to natural light (worn like a broche). When I heard about it I immediately though it'd be a great feature for more advanced fitness trackers like the Versa. But placement might be an issue. Sleeves often cover wrists so light sensors are best worn on the chest, like on a jacket sleeve when you get out. Maybe there's a possibility of collaboration between SunSprite and Fitbit where they could make the SunSprite data available in the Fitbit app or they could create a model together that would be a hybrid of the two? (not a watch then). I reckon it'd be immensely popular in Scandinavian countries where you don't get enough daylight in the winter. 

jacquieolds
First Steps

We, at SunSprite, the wearable light tracker would love to collaborate with FitBit. We tlaked with them a couple of years ago, and they weren't interested at that time, but maybe FitBit wearers could suggest that FitBit come to us and re-discuss the possibility!!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

That would be amazing! Please Fitbit, make it happen!

BamaBob
Recovery Runner

I would definitely like access to the light sensor for similar reasons as BrandonSoMD.  I would like to change the colors of my clockface to a night-vision friendly red or glow-in-the-dark green or blue if the level of ambient light is low.

edmundsj
Jogger

I would love this data to see how my nighttime exposure to light affects my sleep.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.