Auto pause

Can the firmware and app be updated to have an auto pause feature for when you stop to cross a road or tie a lace during workout and walk and run etc. That would be fab.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

197 Comments
CoachJeff
First Steps

Yes! struggling with FitBit app not pausing, just as Nike Running App has this feature. 

prairiedoug
Jogger
I think the new Ionic has it.

Get Outlook for iOS
Frank00
Base Runner

It's not mentioned as a product feature on the ionic web page.  I would definitely wait to read the manual on the web site before making a purchase.  

prairiedoug
Jogger
I bought an Apple Watch Series 2 after my surge died earlier this year. So I'm out of the Fitbit family for awhile. It has auto pause. If the Ionic doesn't have auto pause, it's an epic fail.

Get Outlook for iOS
rtbrown560
Recovery Runner

It would be an interesting situation if Ionic had the auto pause because that would then seem that those with dedicated GPS (that don't depend on the phone for GPS) could start having the feature.
I am guessing they would have to develop it in 2 places, but it's also looking like they're developing it in 0 places. (see date of first post 2.5 years ago)

jklay
First Steps

I read this in a review about Ionic, "The Ionic also offers built-in GPS for tracking running or biking without requiring you to have your phone, and Fitbit claims the tracking on the Ionic is more accurate than on the Surge or any of its competitors. There’s a new run detect system that can tell when you start and stop running and log that activity automatically." I don't know if this is auto pause. 

Frank00
Base Runner

It's not auto pause. It's a feature that exists in the Surge.  If the unit detects you moving for a certain amount of time at a certain speed (using GPS), it starts an activity.  For example, if you're moving at 6mph for two minutes it may begin to auto-log an activity.  

BLM_Pgh
Jogger
really disappointed that the first time fitbit includes this readily
available technology is in a $300 product - after 2.5 years of customer
request, it shows they really don't care what the customer wants

--
*Bonnie *
quilterk
Jogger
Frankly I don't understand why adding auto-pause is so difficult. I have nearly 30 years programming experience with 15 being in GIS. This missing feature can't take more than a half hour to code and a day or two to test, NOT OVER TWO YEARS!!

k-

Sent from the phone
Frank00
Base Runner

Maybe a licensing issue?  Garmin holds a patent or something similar for auto-pause technology.  Other companies must pay to use the idea of auto-pause where Fitbit may not.  Fitbit has enough customers who are only concerned with the pedometer and the community app that they probably don't need to get into the serious fitness market; but thinking they are ready to compete with the iWatch?

That's a different market altogether.  At $200 people expect auto-pause because the competition has it.  At $300, it's not even a question; it's a basic assumption.

Moniehey
Jogger
You maybe on to something ... but I do think for over $200 auto pause should be included.

●|||||||● Monie
RLAGLynne
First Steps

I only realised for the first time yesterday while out running and having to stop at crossings that my Blaze doesn't have an auto pause feature - what a huge disappointment!  How are you supposed to track your pace properly if it adds the stops into your time?   Come on Fitbit, sort this out!

marchiemarch
Jogger

Auto pause is such a basic feature. Please add this.

Gumpa
First Steps

Yes, Auto Pause (or even a manual pause) is so basic I can't understand why Fitbit doesn't have it.  Please include it on the next update.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

What is the purpose of these request platforms if nobody does anything about them?

Definitely you can't satisfy everybody's needs, but on this one at least we are talking about a feature that prevents skewed data. If you don't care about your device providing correct data, you're in the wrong business.

Having less and less interest in staying with fitbit the way they show complete diregard for accuracy.

Kristin7
Jogger

I actually was a developer on a fitness tracking device call tracker GPS. It had this feature. That was 2009.

This is such a no-brainer that I had assumed my charger too would of course have this functionality.

What gives?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Gatso thanks for this suggestion. Part of your suggestion has been partially released on our newest device, Fitbit Ionic. In Ionic, if you go to 'Exercise' and 'Settings' on device, you can select 'Auto Pause' for running which recognizes pauses like waiting at traffic lights etc. There aren't currently plans to release this feature for other devices. I will however leave your suggestion open as you also mentioned auto-pause walking, which has not been developed yet. Thanks for sharing.

WIrunner
Jogger
Wow
Thanks for the news - it’s been about 2 years since I first posted my request
Since then I got frustrated by my Fitbit Surge that did not have Autopause and the heart rate monitor performed poorly give false high readings when first starting a run or workouts. So I replaced it with a Garmin Vivoactive HR which is a great product. I am very unlikely to buy another Fitbit product.....

Andrew
Sent from my iPad
rtbrown560
Recovery Runner

While it is very upsetting that only the Ionic is receiving this feature, it's almost even more frustrating that even if I did ever upgrade (not planning to w/Fitbit) that there is only a partial feature there! What about AutoPause on biking? (she admitted it's not there for walking).
The FREE Strava app has AutoPause for biking built in. So what I'm getting at here is that the "highest level" of Fitbit software is even lower than the free app that I use. No wonder Fitbit is all over the news as posting losses, sheesh.

*slowly converts family to Garmin*

Russ68
First Steps

Agreed, just posting about this, please do it Fitbit!

Gumpa
First Steps

Another user corrected me - there is a manual pause on Fitbit Charge 2.  While in Running mode, just depress and release the button.  There will be a brief buzz and you will see the time readout pause.  Depress and release the button a second time and it will return to Running mode.

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. This feature has been released for running on our newest device, Fitbit Ionic. In Ionic, if you go to 'Exercise' and 'Settings' on device, you can select 'Auto Pause' for running and biking, which recognizes pauses like waiting at traffic lights etc. There aren't currently plans to release this feature for other devices or through the mobile app. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.