Automatically Increase Goals Incrementally - 'Smart Goals'

It would be great to have a program geared for beginners with a very gradual increase based on success. For example:

Day 1 goal:  2000 steps, .5 miles

Day 2 goal:  2020 steps, .5 miles

Day 3 goal:  2040 steps, .5 miles

Day 4 goal:  2060 steps, .6 miles, 1 flight

Day 15 goal: 3000 steps, 1 mile, 3 flights, 1 active minute

etc.   (Just a rough example).   But something that would be easily accomplished by those that really need to increase their exercise, but find it really challenging/difficult.  If there was just a small increase every day (when successful) most people would be able to build on their success and build a healthy habit.  Rewards and incentives built in would be even better.

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

32 Comments
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing. I've moved it into a similar request. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

Leanne_mar13
Jogger

Hi,

One feature that I would quite like to see on the fitbit app is a variable goal day to day.

For example, on a gym day (as I go every other day) I have higher goals than the next (rest) day. I still want a goal for low intensity exercise on the rest day, but it would not be as high as the gym day.

Would it be possible to have weekly plan and to set goals for different days of the week?

Thank You

Leanne_Mar13

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Leanne_mar13 I moved your suggestion here, to this similar idea. Thanks for sharing!

Roltyd
First Steps
I want to see my fitbit adjust my step goals up/down each day based on the previous day's activity.
DavideFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Roltyd, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about the possibility of adjusting the goals based on the previous day's activity (dynamically). This feature suggestion already exists, so I’ve moved your post here, this helps to keeps the boards more organized. Make sure to add your vote as well to support this suggestion, this helps the team of developers to keep track of popularity and demand over time.

Thank you again for your participation in the Community!

Roltyd
First Steps
Thanks!

I did find that suggestion but it seemed geared for increase only rather
than full dynamic adjustment.

I hope to see it implemented by the dev team!
Babymelany
Jogger

I love this idea! I participated in a study for people living with cancer and they created an app for the study where it looked at your previous day's steps to offer a daily step goal. You could either set your goal to be same number of steps from the day before, increase it by 500 or decrease it by 500. This daily goal constantly changing really helped to motivate me and keep me checking in and every day to see what my new goal was each day. I actually increased and double my steps over the course of the study. I would love to see something similar added here so I don't have to purchase another device or use another app.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.