Battery "estimated hours until charge"

Please add an estimated hours left before charge or at least a battery percentage to the Fitbit surge. We want to wear the Fitbit as much as we can and you like to have a better idea of when we would need to charge it. I understand it's shows low, medium, full but having a better understand of battery power would benefit this activity tracker much much more!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

59 Comments
Willow09
Jogger
Yes, this feature should be available for all Fitbit devices. With today's technology this should be doable relatively easy....
rydabyk
Recovery Runner
I agree. I would love to see the battery percentage on my surge clock face or even a seperate screen that I could scroll to. I'd never be left wondering if I had enough power to use the GPS. I never use it now because I don't want my watch to go dead in the middle of a bike ride or walk.
BryBub
Strider
Charge HR as well please.
lynnandcats
First Steps
This is a great idea! It's hard to determine from one day to the next how much longer the battery will last. Please add this feature!!
Guvie00
Recovery Runner
Not the first post I've seen asking for a power view/notification on device. Voted up!
MikeCC
Stepping Up
This would be a great feature, to be able to see the percentage value of the battery on the unit would really help to keep it working to the maximum and gain more accurate analysis of the data.
Kit4Kat
First Steps
Yes. And a or a quick view of battery life on the clock face of the charge hr.
Willow09
Jogger
I like the percentage of battery life on the watch face. Also, I lost a weeks work of data due to syncing issues last week. So disappointed as I had some really good days. Come on Fitbit !!! Step up and give us some battery info!
Gimitch
First Steps
I think that even a date/time stamp of the last time it would fully charged would be helpful. I don't even remember when I last charged it and I think that's how I end up with a dead one on my wrist.
Iliyan
Stepping Up
This one will be very handy! Thanks!
Kimberhearn
Recovery Runner
Also for blaze
lynnandcats
First Steps
Glad to see so many people requesting the same thing I have requested.  It would help tremendously to know how much time left before a necessary charge.

Lynn Pace
Sultanmerchant
Tempo Runner

Totally agree and this should be for all FITBIT products

NaomiE
Base Runner
I agree that this would be super helpful. My charging experience with my One is that it will show the graphic of being half full and then inconsistently jump to the red "low" graphic- sometimes the half full graphic means I have 2 or 3 days, other times it means I only have 4 or 5 hours. This unpredictability makes it hard to know when to charge. I've actually started carrying my charging cable in my bag (I always have my phone charger with me due to a long bus commute to/from work, so I already keep an ac adaptor on hand at all times).
Mackeral
Jogger

Di I remember that the Desktop use to show percent of remaining battery power? Otherwise, it would be useful to see it there.

SunriseRun1250
Tempo Runner

Come on fitbit, it's not easy to include a simple excel formula that measure the battery and displays a time or percentage. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

It's tricky to know how long my battery will last some days I work long hours so it doesn't seem to change much - on other days I run a half marathon distance and do around 10k of walking with my family. So an estimate of time remaining is difficult. A notification on device at 5, 10 and 20% remaining would be easiest and make sense to me. A way to choose which value (or all) would be ace.

Perhaps at a more technical level some machine learning could work out that I run on Tuesday nights so battery will diminish more quickly than on Monday's when I usually have a rest day. Perhaps looking at a time series of usage could help predict an estimated time before battery expires that would become more accurate over time!?

ashwolve
Interval Runner

@LizFitbit, @Bwelling Not sure if it would help or make it easier but maybe have usage graph on the dashboard with 1/2 hour intervals (per day) daily usage (per week) so you can click on a day of a week and get a bar graph of what the battery usage was say between 1300 & 1430 so you will get the bars and will tell you if the usage is more that you was activity mode (i.e. treadmill, run, cycle) and also sync bar so activity in say green and sync in orange and this will also tell you what was using the battery power - now for the custom input you will need to read the graphs and correlate the usage times to the activity times hence being able to estimate a usage percentage over a period of time -  i.e. take one day if you stick to the same routine then multiply by 3, 4, 5 etc to estimate what percentage will be left if you used the tracker for say 4 days very active you could work out you may have 20% left on Thursday therefore will be able to put into calendar recharge every 4 day - just an idea

Kind Regards

Wayne

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @SunsetRunner and @ashwolve interesting ideas. Sounds like some sort of prediction based on regular workout activities could be useful. Or, more data about what activities drain your battery. Ultimately it sounds like the more customizable the reminder intervals are (and ability to choose multiple), the better. I will raise these ideas with the team.

Any one else have any thoughts on this?

ashwolve
Interval Runner

tt.png

@LizFitbit / all that maybe interested. This is a concept idea of a weekly page on dashboard/App (not device)

As you can see I have used a daily percentage with a breakdown of what uses a certain percent, the daily totals can be added up (Monday – Friday are completed days so I will use these) from the chart you can see the Daily % respectively is 17, 18, 15,16 and 14, add all together = 80 and divide by 5 (days) which = 16% divide 100 (full battery) by this number (ie 16) equals 6.5 so you will aim to recharge at 6 days if you let battery deplete almost to the end – I would leave a buffer so would charge on day 5 which should be approx. 18-20% in this case.

There could also be one more bar on the chart weekly percentage total which adds up the daily totals and you could have a setting when this number reaches 70,75,80,85 (select one) send me an email/text/ Device notification (select upto all three)

Obviously the more active you are/times you sync/age of device this day will change

Note: Active is assuming you have selected an active mode on tracker – ie treadmill

Sync is estimated and for 2 sync’s a day @ 4% (assuming that data transfer takes up more energy)

Kind Regards

Wayne

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for detailing that out @ashwolve interesting idea. I like the ability to select email/text/device notification. Thanks for sharing.

magval
Recovery Runner

Maybe based on previous usage, the software could predict the remaining time until the battery is out.

Also, maybe offer a 'battery optimisation mode' : when I want my Alta to drain completely and I know I'm not going for a run or anything, still wanting to have a watch during work, I remove all the extra battery drains' settings, like keep active mode, or the quick flick to see the time, and it gives me a little more time.

This could be offered as a 'battery low, save power mode' as it exists on Mobile phones.

Alec42
Jogger

I second this idea. A custom percentage estimate higher/lower would BE THE MOST IDEAL solution for me

An approximate e-mail would be awesome (idea 3 where 4 hours if you're doing this ...)

LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks @magval and @Alec42 - I hope to post back with an update soon. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Status changed to: Released
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Bwelling, thanks for your suggestion! And special thanks to all that voted and posted here. We’re excited to let you know that the feature you proposed here has now been implemented in the newest Fitbit tracker, Ionic! You are able to to see the battery percentage if you swipe to the right on the clock face, you can find more information on the manual pages 13 and 17. Some clock faces have that option too. You can learn more about Ionic and it’s new features, like an app gallery, music and payments here: www.fitbit.com/ionic. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated and thanks again for taking the time to share your ideas to help us make trackers better.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.