Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
SGray1223
Jogger

This is something that I would want to!  I do other exercising besides running/walking and would love to put people up to the challenge for other activities!

ecspot
First Steps

It has become clear that the challenges are not on an even playing field.  By focusing on steps, the advantage goes to shorter people.  By the same reasoning, if the focus of a challenge was on calories burned, the advantage would go towards the taller/larger people.  Distance is the only common playing field where 5 miles is 5 miles, no matter your size. 

My Wife and I are 5' 2" and 6' 2".  If we go for a 4 mile walk she will hit 10,000 steps where I will only hit 8800 steps.  In the challenges, I'm behind even though we both walked the same distance. I have to go walk nearly an additional mile just to keep up with her step count.  While thats not bad for my health, I do feel like we are not playing in the same challenge.

wbrownmn
Jogger
If we could compete with calories burned rather than steps all of the uders could compete against each other. Runners are favored in current configuration.
nicC
Recovery Runner

I was hoping there would be some calorie challenges added. I always lose to my friends who run as their primary workout when I like to circuit and weight train. It would allow the users another branch of friendly competition.

Moderator edit: Added labels 

lylandra
First Steps

I'd love to be able to have a challenge for floors/stairs.  

jessicaestewart
First Steps

Definitely. And a challenge for number of consecutive days with 8 hours of sleep! Would love to challenge perpetually overworked folks to focus on that aspect of our health too.

mpoczobut
First Steps

I'm tired of losing competitions to woman who have small strides and take more steps to go the same distance.  I would like to see a Mileage Competition in place of Steps to give those of us with large strides a chance to compete within a "step" challenge.

Thank you for your consideration!

Linda64
Stepping Up

Be great to have challenges using activity minutes instead of steps

suecwd
First Steps

This would be great. I never win the step challenges but would be in with a chance with a stair challenge.

Rights21
Jogger
That would be cool that have as an addition to the steps challenges
HendoRox
First Steps
Yep - agree! I'm not really using the challenges because they don't reflect the type of activity I do or the info I'm interested in...
dfarrar
First Steps

It would be awesome to have a activity minutes challenge instead of just steps.  Especially for those that cross train! 🙂 

HerbaChaz
Recovery Runner
Check out this topic it's been going longer, please vote it up https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Requests/Challenge-Suggestions/idi-p/691569
BennettW
Stepping Up

I could use more challenges, like maybe who can burnt the most calories! I bike more than I run so this is pretty important to me! 

jeinhellig
Jogger
Step challengers should weight the total score by active minutes vs casual steps.
LedMatrix
Progression Runner

I couldn't agree more! I'm in the same boat as you.

deakins11
Stepping Up

This would be a great thing to have. This expands the challenges quite a bit. When is this going to be implemented. Seems easy to me. 

You would think this would be a strong motivation for Fitbit so that people will be motivated to "upgrade" their fitbit.

HelenS
Jogger
Would love a calories burned challenge as sometimes I don't necessarily get in all my steps, but I've burned a heck of a lot of calories which is just as important.
Kimikazi
Recovery Runner

I agree, steps are great, but there's more to it than that.  I can have 10,000 steps walking in place never getting my heart rate up or walk 5 miles up and down hills.  I'd like to see Active Minutes or calories burned challenges.  

I love my fitbit "One."

Gkdurham
Jogger
How about developing challenges based in active minutes instead of steps? That would level the playing field for non runners- swimmers, cyclists.....
Claudius
Recovery Runner
LKB-28
First Steps
I have been asking for a stair challenge as well. Challenges are very motivating. Hopefully Fitbit will accept the challenge of creating a stair challenge.... Come on Fitbit!
Sgtsteelydan
First Steps

Please make a "Rock Climbing Exercise"...!! In the meantime is there an exercise that works Stairclimber?  

BAnnieBerg
First Steps

This is exactly why I signed on to FitBit this afternoon.  Several of my co-workers challenge each other each week but our strides are so different that two of us can walk the same distance but have much different step counts.

Can this be created!!??  Please!

Vespertinebloom
First Steps

6 of us who use the Fitbit have a weekly calorie burn challenge that we do verbally through messaging in the Fitbit app, it would be great to have it set up as an actual challenge.

1. Let the person setting the challenge choose the calorie burn goal.
2. Only active calories count.

This has been a great way to push us to the actual gym!

Moderator edit: added labels

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.