Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
ionic-jo
Base Runner

I would also love this, and if we had a cycle challenge, especially if your a keen cyclist, and set a challenge of cycling x amount of miles, in a month

Nat1987
First Steps

Yes! I’d like to compare how many calories burned doing housework...would be ‘fun’ to compare with partner or friends how hard we work out while doing a ‘super clean’!

Akenta
Base Runner

I got excited when I saw there was recent activity on this thread.  Thought fitbit was announcing a change people wanted.  I guess I'm going to have to accept the fact that I'm not the target audience for this product 😞

Carlos35
First Steps
But it’s ok, they’ve introduced a premium paid for feature that nobody asked for.
Puskins
Base Runner

Don't forget watch eftpos payments and the endless new models for Christmas, father's/mother's  day, Fitbit are after new customers not retaining customers. Unfortunately if you look on Garmin sites they are just as arrogant and unconcerned with customers.  Unless there is another 5 year message board with thousands of likes and replies that hates challenges and wants them gone? 

Must be about time for another pointless monitor drone to thank us for feedback and tell us they are working on it????

Joilee2161
Recovery Runner

I understand why Fitbit has to limit including some activities in the steps, otherwise, they would be Some daily activities (like doing dishes or even driving in a car that may register as false steps) but I do not think it would be too difficult for Fitbit to estimate step equivalence for activities like cycling, spinning, Swimming, skiing based on heart rate of that activity if the user make sure they start this activity as an exercise.

Joilee2161
Recovery Runner

I saw a comment above that Fitbit is focusing on getting new customers not keeping customers! I hope this is not the case because I regret staying with my Fitbit and not going to the new Apple Watch My friend has purchased. It has a lot more features and I just spent $225 on my ionic. The notifications for text and phone calls are glitchy now. If they are focusing on just get a new customers this Will backfire. We will go to other smart watches and no longer make recommendations to go with Fitbit. People have always commented on my ionic saying it’s a nice Looking watch. For the first time the other day I told someone I wish I had gone with the Apple Watch.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

FItbit please add the floors challenge while I can still do them!

Mcords6
First Steps

Please add ability to challenge friends to workout related activities per week not just steps

TeaVan
First Steps

Absolutely! I have on my wrist one of the most technologically advanced pieces of personal monitoring equipment even made; that measures so many facets of my daily exercise routine, yet I can only challenge someone based on how many steps I take?

The amount of steps I take is largely irrelevant in this instance... I can already measure that with my phone... I see suggestions for other means of challenge dating back years... Surely this would not be difficult to implement?

BBernard169
Jogger

As it has proved time and time again - you can ask for all the features you want - they will not implement any of them.  Step based challenges can be had for FREE with any phone on the market now.  Fitbit is nothing more than a costly watch at this point. 

Irreverent
Base Runner

Agree!!

But, would be especially helpful,for people like myself, who are disabled, and use our Fitbits, to see that we ARE progressing, even if only by babysteps...

Definitely, other types of challenges, than the current ones offered, where we NEVER will have a chance of winning... maybe, a challenge (besides the daily, personal best, which I DO like!), based on things we CAN do, like, perhaps, a challenge, to increase steps by a certain, babysteps, percentage, amount, each week...?

And, a weight loss challenge, with same idea, of, a babysteps, challenge, of either amount lost per week/month, or, percentage...?

And, a babysteps challenge, of just getting outside, and spent at least 30 minutes, outside at least, 3 times a week (perhaps, could be an activity we could add manually, which could integrate with the challenge...? (especially good, for people with depression (like myself), who, because they/I, often find it VERY difficult, to even get out of bed, many days...this could possibly be an ENORMOUS benefit, to people with depression (and, also, many other health conditions, where people find it difficult to even, just GET outside...), where, possibly, the fun of a challenge, they can actually, actively, participate in, might spur them/myself, to start this, first, slow step, towards, being more active!!

Much of the interactive activity, is in areas, that I, and, many others with, either, physical, or, mental health challenges (or both, like myself), can't really 'compete' in, we are usually last, in every challenge we are in... it can often, have an opposite goal, negative affect, being in challenges geared towards people that are capable, just in their daily activities, where they can easily, get, 15-20K steps in, w/o even ADDING, trying to get extra steps, activity, calories burned, etc... which, even TRYING, we don't even see their DUST...

I can understand, that when the fitness gear explosion started, It was geared more towards typical users, people who could, and, very often, already did, get out, and exercise... and, having a way to monitor exercise and health info, would be very appealing to, was your starting 'group'. But, as you start to specialize, maybe, start to look at another, very often, left out, group, who are already using your product, and, have MANY friends, in similar circumstances, health-wise, who  can also afford to buy your product... that we could tell, how YOU, your company, are including them (!!!), and, urge them to join the Fitbit Family!!

Nat1987
First Steps

I’ve lowered the target for how many steps I’ll take a day so it is more realistic for me, and the amount of time I’m aiming to be active. That helps!

AndrewJolly
First Steps
Yes, I guess fitbit paved the way, but don't care to keep up with the times.

Watch them (pardon the pun), become the next Nokia/Blackberry...
LostEchoes
Progression Runner

I really hope this feature will be implemented soon (to have challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in) !
It would be a game changer for a lot of people who are serious about fitness (and I do not mean ...steps) !

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I created a Sleep Challenge group but I would like to see that turn into a competitive challenge. That would encourage more of us to see more than ten challenges that we're a part of because we are working on making lifestyle changes. I am of the thinking that if there's a need for something, why not create it? I have created some closed groups already...Autism Awareness, Anxiety Support. Activity Challenge group, Sleep Challenge group. I find these are good ways to initially challenge each of us to be better at setting consistent bedtimes, looking for the good or positive in one's sleep habits, and taking every aspect of our lives seriously. So a Sleep challenge would be right up our alley...We try to keep things as competitive to a point as we can there...but until there's actually a sleep challenge, the motivation to make wholesale changes will be waning. 

boefjeleonie
First Steps

I would love it if there would be a new challenge where the goal is active minutes instead of steps. I for one have many active minutes (biking) but not as many steps. It would  be nice to see this in a challenge as well so the ones who are active but not necessarily in walking or running.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @boefjeleonie, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Under Consideration". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I love that idea!!!!!!!!!! That's so creative!!!

Lana1959
Jogger

Agreed. I alternate my cardio days and my weight days. So I don't get 'credit' on weight days when the challenge only counts steps.

Shadow750rider
First Steps

Step counting is old-hat. It was first used in a Japanese marketing campaign leading up to the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, to encourage the Japanese population to become more active. Is it really relevant today? For some it's probably a good way to start, but for many Fitbit owners I think that, like me, it's passed its usefulness, so I've relegated the count facility.

Status changed to: Released (Premium)
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks for sharing this suggestion. We’re very happy to let you know that this has been released as a Fitbit Premium feature. Under the 'Custom Challenge' and 'All for One' challenge, you get to choose:

• Steps, distance or active minutes for the challenge
  • Choose a duration of up to 30 days
  • Choose other players, up to 30 people.
  • Start the challenge at set up or within the next 7 days

Note that Fitbit Premium users can invite friends without Fitbit Premium to compete in a Custom Challenge but only Fitbit Premium users can create a Custom Challenge.

@Lianne393, in recognition of your excellent suggestion, each of your votes will now count as 5 votes – you have the power! Thank you for sharing your idea, and thanks to all the voters and commenters for your enthusiasm which has now materialized for everyone’s benefit. We hope you all enjoy this new addition to the Fitbit product or service!

Akenta
Base Runner

Hmm, not sure if I'm happy or just disappointed with this announcement.  Guess I'll see if the Premium members say this new feature works or if it turns out buggy.  Since the recent app changes and year-long bugs, I don't like doing challenges any more.

Just a side-note: This request is over 2 years old. (though the comment here start over 5 years ago)  The user who suggested it hasn't been on the forums for over a year.

Keep up the good work Fitbit.

Carlos35
First Steps
Just what I wanted, my suggestion finally listened to. What I didn’t want is to have to pay for the privilege!!
Jaxson2016
First Steps
Exactly

Sent from my iPhone
To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.