Challenges not Based on Steps, eg. Sports, Stairs, Active Mins

It would be nice to have different types of challenges that aren't solely based on getting our steps in. 

For instance, the number of active minutes in a day, loss challenge, calories, water consumption. Some activities don't count steps such as cycling, skiing or skateboard.  I would like to be able to compete against my friends while doing other activities.  

Moderator edit: Word choice

1,017 Comments
Puskins
Base Runner

I added my thoughts' on this while on my honeymoon and we have just celebrated our second wedding anniversay. But I believe 5 years is about right in total. 

I've already put in my order with Santa for a Garmin, luckily the $80 subscription to be allowed to compare staircases or calories has me at ease with my decision. 

We had some good times Fitbit and it was fun at the start, but you got lazy and took me for granted.  I've got too much respect for myself to let any entity, however large, treat me with such disdain for so long.  

WCColleen
First Steps

This is funny. Someone starts a suggestion 5 years ago. It’s insightful really. Step challenges are just a piece of the wellness puzzle. Elevating one’s heart rate is a bigger factor for improving heart health and increasing metabolism. A suggestion is made to make Fitbit better...let us challenge our peers to walk up more stairs and to do things to elevate heart rate. So for 5 years, Fitbit dumped all those suggestions here. They finally did something, which I’m not really sure is what was suggested, and are now charging extra for it. Weird. I gotta say, that Apple Watch looks more appealing every day. 

KimK3
First Steps
Disgraceful really. You spend hundreds of dollars on a smart watch, and then they turn around and charge extra for services their customers have requested for years. Shame on them. I’d throw my fitbit in the garbage if I could afford an Apple Watch and didn’t need it to control my music during my tabata classes.

Sent from my iPhone
DocAlexa
First Steps
I really cant believe they did this. Like why do I have a fitbit if I cant
use it?? I've been on this thread for at least 3 years, if not more. I'm
disgusted, and I am definitely on the hunt for a new tracker. Smh. So
disappointing.
StumpFarm
Jogger
Hopefully Google fixes this clownshoes BS...
Redley
Jogger
Very dissapointed fitbit.
How many thousands of people asked for additional challenges? For over 5
years!
I am incredibly disappointed that once they finally added a few challenges,
we have to pay a yearly subscription! It would be understandable to have a
upgrade of $5-$10....but $80/year is ridiculous. My entire fitbit that I
just upgraded was $125. I may just go return it to Costco and find another
tracker that is more reasonable in answering their customers requests.
StumpFarm
Jogger
$80 per year is especially ridiculous considering a Fitbit will last a year
or two without breaking and needing to be replaced... Basically doubles
the price of the thing. I speak as someone who has owned all of them from
the original on. Not due to needing to catch em all, but because my prior
broke. REALLY hoping Google incorporates your tech into a more durable
Pixel Watch....
Redley
Jogger
Let us know if u find something that is more user friendly and works.

Sent from my iPhone
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I think it would encourage more people to join in challenges if they could be across other tractable's. 

i would suggestion having activity time and calories burned as a work week hustle and weekend warriors.

i love joining in challenges but i do lots of cardio classes that dont always involve step but do involve a lot of sweat. if i get on a mission to win the step challenges i then miss out on the other. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

sorry i should of said that this should be as a none premium feature. even if i wanted to go premium most of my community wouldn't be.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SunsetRunner, thanks for explaining why you would like to have this option. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released". You can learn more about here. Keep adding your suggestions!

RobsIT
Recovery Runner

Challenges shouldn't just be about steps.  We have many daily goals, eg. Steps/hr, sleep hrs, sleep score, water intake.

These Challenges should be available on a daily, weekday, weekend and 7 day weekly basis (to start on any day and go for 7 days).  

Highest mark is 100%, meaning you met or exceeded all of your goals for the challenge or any number to match the percentage of total completion for all your goals.  We should be able to choose which goals are important for the challenge.  It could take the place of the current Goal Day since steps would be one of the goals from which to choose.

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @RobsIT, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about having goal challenges. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here to keep this board organized.

I think making challenges with data other than steps, referencing Active Minutes more specifically, would be nice! Anyone can get steps, but it takes a lot more to get the miles, burn the calories, and continuously keep your heart rate up. I think this would be way more encouraging to people who don't get steps, but get their heart rate up!
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @challengemanic , thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see more challenges with active minutes as a goal. I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released".I hope to see you around.

McJosh
Recovery Runner
Make the work week hustle more robust than just steps. It could also be made to track calorie burn, or zone minutes which is a better indication for me on my hustle. I have a desk job and I lack steps, but I also ride a mountain bike and a road bike and I don't get credit for my effort, but I love the idea of a group challenge for motivation.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @McJosh, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see challenges based on active zone minutes or calories.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion which has been updated as "Released".I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.