Charge 3 Relax Feature Vibration Improvements

The Relax function on the Charge 3 doesn’t work the same way as the Charge 2.  The Charge 3 inhale vibration is so light it is almost imperceptible.  The exhale vibration cue is strong but it also makes a sound.  The sound is not wanted.  Just have a vibration cue only for the inhale and exhale.  If you want the two to be different, you could do one vibration for inhale and a double vibration for exhale.  No sounds please for this function.

Moderator Edit: Title for Clarity

21 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think.

SibiDominic
Jogger

Nice suggestion. 

But I feel having feeble and strong vibration as cues, which requires the person to concentrate not just on the inhale/exhale but also the vibration strength, I think lets keep it simple by strong vibration and absence of vibration as cues.

Advantages are

1) its simpler to judge when to take action.

2) easy on battery

3) easy on haptic system.

Personally I would prefer vibration while inhaling and no vibration while exhaling.

And of course no sound.

Don't want the whole world to know that I'm doing breathing exercises in btw work. And Dont want to find another place while workplace for breathing exercise.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I completely agree. Having recently become interested in mindfulness, I was optimistic about the Relax app. However, it's one of the least relaxing things I've ever used in my life. Inhale: "bzz" – fine. Exhale? "BZZZZZAHBZZZZZAHBZZZZZA".

Impressively, my heart rate went UP using this, and it's far too loud to use if anyone else is nearby. A much more subtle vibration for exhale would be a vast improvement. I promise I won't forget to exhale if you don't vibrate my hand off the end of my arm, Fitbit, honest. 

pmeadow
Recovery Runner

I just did a software update for my Charge 3 Fitbit.  Unfortunately, there was no improvement with the clock faces to add the Date and Day of the Week.  And, there was no improvement with the Relax function.  The “inhale” vibration is still too weak and the “exhale” vibrations are still too strong and there are too many exhale vibes.  One good vibration for “inhale” and two vibrations for “exhale” are plenty.  Save some battery by eliminating the third “exhale” vibration.  I don’t know why this is so hard.  Both of these features were perfect on the Charge 2 model.  What happened?  Did the Charge 2 software engineer quit?

Mike200
Jogger

I would like to be able to turn off all vibrations while in relax mode please. The vibrations make it difficult for me to relax.

Cintics
Jogger

The vibrations are what wake me up in the morning! They are in no way relaxing and it would be problematic for me if they were as I need them to reliably wake me up!!! Using relax my heart rate went up not down. I really wanted this feature but the the buzzing is anxiety provoking and NOT in any way calming! How do I turn the buzzing off? 

Cintics
Jogger

I was looking forward to the relax feature but am finding it unusable Nothing wrong with the small vibration but I hate the big vibrations- having the wake up alarm on the relax feature is counter intuitive! The big vibrations (especially combined with such a short breath cycle which does not fit my relaxed breath pace) stress me out and leave me feeling jangled, not relaxed, and having the buzzing audible to others is problematic at work. Please create an option to turn them off!

danfortunato
First Steps

The vibrations have ruined the Relax app! They are much too strong and loud, and vibrates far too many times for the exhale.

Amy.d.nagley
First Steps

Please provide an option to turn off the vibrate function during the relax sessions. The only vibration I would like to feel is one upon ended the session. As one relaxes, breathing becomes slower and deeper, which doesn’t align with the programmed interval of vibrations. Even if it did, the continuous vibrations throw off my meditative state. Please provide a function to disable the vibration. 

Moderator edit: Topic for clarification

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @Amy.d.nagley! Nice suggestion, thanks for sharing. We look forward to hearing what other community members think about having the option to turn off the vibrate function during relax sessions.

KValentine
Jogger

YES! Vibrate on my watch means "perk up! engage! distract!" it's the antithesis of relaxing. Also it was super distracting for my partner in bed when I tried to use it for relaxing at bed time. Please get rid of it (or make it optional)!

Jesteen
First Steps

There is nothing 'relaxing' about constant vibrations. Especially with the addition of my husband nagging the whole two minutes about how annoying it is. All it did was stress me out before bed. This is a terrible feature, please let us turn it off!

NewbieUser58
Jogger

Here’s something I would really appreciate in the Relax mode - lengthen the inhale and exhale times, AND add a couple of seconds pause between inhaling and exhaling.

Something like this:

Inhale: one, two, three, four, five

Hold: one, two....

Exhale: one, two, three, four, five, six, seven

Pause: one, two

Inhale: etc, etc, etc

Cintics
Jogger
Totally agree. It is rubbish as is.
Penpen15
Jogger

Totally agree - I don’t know who came up with the idea for a stressful feeling vibration up my arm while trying to calm down / relax. 

Refuserefuse
Recovery Runner

Seems what you are describing is functionally exactly the same as using the timer, no?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Amy.d.nagley! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Charge 3. I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

daSpud
First Steps

I HATE the vibrations!  I HATE them.  I take the watch off until the whole thing is over.  I don't know how to turn off the function and have it only when _I_ want it.  I am just about ready to trash the device!  Seriously.  the vibrations are very,m very annoying!

Mel_jane
First Steps

The vibrations do not fit at all with the purpose of the feature - relaxing. The small vibration for the inhale is fine, but the exhale vibration feels like the tracker is trying to jump off my wrist, and is also extremely loud! I used this feature on my Charge 2 to help me get to sleep, but I can no longer do this because of the strength of the vibrations. Making it customisable would be much better so that each individual can have it the way that they want, but failing that just tone it down a bit!

Emmibelle
First Steps

I used this function on the charge two in order to lower my heart rate when attempting to fall asleep. I tried it last night and the three extremely heavy exhale vibrations terrified me, I think I made it through a minute before giving up. Just one vibration to mark the inhale and exhale would be perfectly fine, like in the charge 2 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.