Charge 4 - Auto pause exercise

I usually have STRAVA record my bike runs because then i don't have to take out my phone if i go for a day-long bike run. I would love to se auto pause as an option to bike runs because then i would be able to start the exercise from my fitbit. That is when Connected GPS will be implemented.

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity.

41 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @TraianBuzenchi, and thanks for taking the time to share this suggestion about adding auto pause exercises on Charge 4. We rely on feedback like yours to help us develop products and features that we know our community wants to see. If this suggestion receives votes from other customers and gains popularity, it will be shared internally with various teams at Fitbit. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

Watch this space for status updates. In the meantime, try visiting Health & Wellness to talk with other members about all things health and fitness.

Lisavada
Jogger

Hi, the fact that you cannot use a car break in walking or cycling mode is very annoying and frustrating. While cycling you manually pause it, but you forget to switch it on again, making your statistics useless. While walking my dog ​​I occasionally stop to catch up and sometimes I forget to turn it on or off manually.

It is difficult to understand why this function is not integrated. I see that this has been requested since 2017.

Greetings,

L

MalibuBill
Keeping Pace

I agree!  It would be great to have an auto-pause feature for biking with the Charge 4.  The feature exists on other Fitbit devices such as the Versa 2, so hopefully shouldn't be too hard to implement.

galonde
First Steps

I too would like to see auto pause for biking and walking.  Both of these activities can take place on city streets where, inevitably, you have to stop for traffic. The auto pause for biking was on my Ionic, why can’t it be on my Charge 4?

AngieFlanj78
Jogger

I, too, would love to have the auto-pause feature available for walking! Before Fitbit, when wearing my phone, I would use either Google Fit or Samsung Health to track my walks, and I really liked that they both had the auto-pause feature. I just got a Charge 4 and I'm a little disappointed it doesn't have this feature already.I mean, this is an actual fitness tracker. I got it so I wouldn't have to wear my phone while on my walks. I feel like it's a no-brainer!

If I had a bike, I would definitely like this feature as well. Really, I would like it for any exercise.

Mairi07
Stepping Up

Agree auto pause would be a great feature for the Charge 4.  Hope that will be a future update.

Martis54
First Steps

I agree!  It would be great to have an auto-pause feature for at least biking and running with the Charge 4.

deepxtz
Recovery Runner

Auto pause is a must for BIKE raids

It's very annoying to manually pause and then forget to resume it.

This function already exists on Run

I hope that very soon this function will be added to Bike as well.

Thanks.

Martis54
First Steps
Thanks! I am still waiting for my new Charge 4 to be delivered, but good to
hear, that it has auto pause at least for running and you don't need to
click for stop and go 🙂
fto
Jogger

Hi, I’m coming from Garmin (still using my bike gps of course) and rather surprised (not to say annoyed) realizing no auto pause on the bike exercise app. This is a must for everyday and training situations, the only time a biker disables the auto pause is during a competition, in which case I would frankly not use my Fitbit Charge 4 anyway as my primary gps (thought good as a secondary wrist held gps). Cheers and do hope Fitbit realizes the need and potential, since such a great product, to attract (is) bikers 🚴‍:female_sign: 

BritAbroad
First Steps

I only use my phone apps (Strava, Map my Ride) for this precise reason as the inability of my charge 3 to autopause (which in this day and age is somewhat disappointing) means that all the stats that I am interested in are not very accurate.

In reading some other posts, I had the impression that autopause would be made available for the most obvious exercise modes (walking, running, cycling) in a firmware update, even for the Charge 3, but that doesn't seem to be available.

AngelEyzzz
First Steps

I would love an Auto-pause on my charge 4. Especially when i'm on my bike, this would come in handy! 

Samiangary
First Steps

My first ever Fitbit is the charge 4 but I too struggle with seeing the screen even on its brightest setting. Hopefully they will have an improvement to rectify this

Madaboutsaffron
First Steps

My family gave me a Charge 4 fir my birthday. We were all disappointed that the drvice lacks an auto pause as my husbsnd and I use it for ling rides together. Having to pause manually means I'm thinking more about my Fitbit than my ride. Seems like it is such a basic function and it would be such an easy fix. 

Lisavada
Jogger

How many votes do we need so that Fitbit works ons this issue? It's so an easy fix. This is the reason that I don't recomand Fitbit to other people. So unhappy that this feather is not on this expensive device. 

Timoweek
First Steps

Hi ! Just bought my Charge 4 and waiting for it. But talking to friends using Garmin devices and looking up a bit, I see all of them have "obivously" the auto-pause feature, whether for walking, running, biking etc. As I live in the city, the lack of automatic auto-pause could definitely make me want to switch to another brand, as they seem to all have that, except for Fitbit. I see first posts from May 2020, I think it would be a good resolution to start 2021 amazingly 🙂

Al3xC
First Steps

Hi,

Been using my Charge 4 for a few weeks now and really disappointed by the lack of auto-pause, particularly for cycling functions. My stats are completely off because of that, since unless I remember to pause and unpause manually, my average speed includes breaks. And when cycling in the city, I can't just pause and relaunch it at every red light I stop at. I've had to use Strava instead to get more precise stats, which is really frustrating since part of getting a Fitbit was to record my cycling activity. The lack of an auto-pause feature, as well as the cycling distance not being added in the main dashboard distance, makes me think I may well get another brand next time.

Lisavada
Jogger

@Fitbit I think you should seriously take this post. Many users find this really distracting and feel like the Fitbit becomes worthless during workouts such as long walks or bike rides. As a user we would like to be heard. 

Lisa

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Lisavada maybe people should start advertising this request. 72 votes with many thousand sold? 

GraceCB
First Steps

Yes, it would be really nice to have this feature and/or be able to do more substantial editing of previously tracked exercises. 

Sanserifa
First Steps

Would love to have an automated pause button on walk mode as when out we often stop to photo plants, look at birds or on longer walks, have a picnic. As an older person I find it almost impossible to read screen instructions when out in daylight as screen very dim and not easy to access...a bit hit and miss.....on may walks because of brief stops gps has switched off. Very annoying ....please develop a work around.... thanks

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

The tracker has the ability to auto start/stop making an auto pause for a lunch break useless. I also can understand turning gps off during a long pause, simply to conserve battery. 

lbonaldo
First Steps

Just got Fibit Charge 4 after using only Strava for many years now.

After testing it on a bike ride I agree—we need an auto-pause feature. It’s an expected feature at this point and reduces the occurrence of the most negative result we can accidentally cause by manually pausing/unpausing our exercises—losing our exercise data.

Hope we see this feature rolled out soon. Would be lovely to have for this spring/summer bike season in Canada.

Very Best,

Laetitia

Jchusted
First Steps

Really disappponted that my fitbit cant auto pause. When I bought the tracker i wanted a small watch, which also should be great for tracking my cycling. Now i realize that it's useless for the purpose. Really thought fitbit had such a mandatory function in their trackers. Really a Shame. 

bman93p
First Steps

Hello,

Yes, I would also like an auto pause mode for biking. While stopped at a red light, I always have to remember to pause and when the light goes green, I am scrambling to resume the biking mode, while keeping up with traffic. Please include auto pause for biking on Fitbit Charge 4.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.