Charge 4's Spotify app avaible during activities

At the moment in the Charge 4 you can't control Spotify while an activity is running.

I suppose the reason is that "Activity" and "Spotify" are 2 separate apps inside the Fitbit. Anyway, I suggest then to update the "Activity" App and include a section (scroll right/left) to include a Spotify control page. It's a useless function the ability to control Spotify if I can't do it while I'm running... Also, why I'm supposed to use my Fitbit when I'm not running instead of my phone?

83 Comments
Emzer
First Steps

I really believe this is false advertising. This was one of the main reasons why my partner purchased this watch for me as a present. Very disappointed that this feature doesn't even work while I am tracking the progress of my exercise. This feature really needs to be updated asap please.

roseradio
First Steps

Is anything happening with this? This goes beyond oversight after so many months with no fix. Plus there are so many syncing issues with the app. Very disappointing.

I'm going to return my C4 for a refund if there isn't a major patch soon. And warn other people when I see recommendation articles 😕 I feel cheated.

imrul
Jogger
I agree. This it’s ridiculous that there’s no update for this simple task
even after so much feedback.
michiturner
First Steps

I just bought a Charge 4 (since my Charge 3 died, and FitBit would not provide a replacement, only a discount on my next purchase, but that's a whole 'nother complaint thread), and I'm VERY disappointed about Spotify not being able to be controlled in the background. That is the ONLY reason I bought this product. So now I've used it once, and am considering returning it, because it's really not worth it now. I agree with previous posts that this is complete false advertising.

BrianSFit
First Steps

Not being able to use the Spotify app while running the exercise app is very disappointing. I specifically bought this tracker because I wanted to control music while lifting weights, riding my bike or when running. I received my Charge 4 yesterday, did all three of these workouts today and the Charge 4, while tracking my HR well, still had me reaching for my phone for music.

I am now stuck between returning my Charge 4 for a Garmin or just getting an Inspire. Even not being able to run the Timer app while running the Exercise app is a flaw... almost feels like this product wasn't tested in a serious workout.

ajer900
First Steps

100% with the other comments. Very disappointed having just done my first workout with my shiny new Charge 4..... on to be let down when realising you can’t access Spotify whilst working out 😞 please sort guys 😊

KizzyNesbit
First Steps

Agreed. This feels like a scam to sell a product; advertising a feature than cannot be used as most would intend to use it. Learning that Fitbit has no current plans to address this obvious limitation makes me want to instead purchase a different smartwatch/fitness tracker that will support the features it advertises.

ajer900
First Steps
Has anyone had any joy with getting a refund from Fitbit for this? I 100% want to return the device. Why on earth you would advertise Spotify on a health and fitness tracker, when you can’t use it whilst tracking a fitness activity, is absolutely bonkers!!

Sent from my iPhone
emmamcandcheese
First Steps

i totally agree with all these comments. what is the point of spotify controls if i cant use it during a workout? Apple watch does not have this problem, and this issue is making me lean toward apple watch........ 

clover2411
First Steps

I am utterly disappointed with the Charge 4 thus far - literally the reason I went for this one was to make running with music easier, without having to fumble with my phone to change tracks. I couldn't believe that my exercise logging was paused when I tried to get to the Spotify controls mid-run.

nimpanzee
First Steps

Fitbit mods/devs, please keep in mind that many of your new users (like me) will buy the C4 as their first Fitbit. So if something as basic as this feature is missing and falsely advertised, and you instead implement other feature suggestions related to cosmetic tweaks, you're going to have a hard time satisfying/retaining new customers. Gonna have to return the C4 I just got, and it's pretty unlikely that I'll be buying another Fitbit...

Vlos
First Steps

Agreed! Please fix this! The whole reason I upgraded from a more basic model was for this feature. So disappointing. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I love my C4 and certainly hope they address this issue of enabling spotify controls during exercise, otherwise and Apple Watch may be in my future.

kamalsu
First Steps

I am contemplating returning the charge 4 too as this is a very basic feature that was overlooked. Watches from competitors at much lower price points offer this functionality. It just doesn't make sense as I would primarily use the music control option on a fitness tracking device when I am exercising. 

Mikeintherain
First Steps

I for one LOVE the feature! Lack of control of Spotify while running means I can stop all that dreadful pounding, switch phone and my Fitbit device to music and JAM! Running is hard! Listening to music sweet and easy. No brainer people!

GeoffL123
Jogger

This is pretty basic in fairness and the only reason having spotify is of benefit is if it can be used during a work out. Very misleading advertising and absolutely terrible product design that this can't be done. What a joke.

mbeers58
First Steps

Agree with this feature request, makes the Fitbit much less useful than I was hoping. 

SirElfmo
First Steps

I 100% agree that there is a design flaw here. The only work around is to start the workout on my phone and then control Spotify from the Fitbit, which means you can't see the exercise data as it's going. However, I don't think it makes sense to have a special fix just for Spotify.

To me it seems like better solution is to be able to exit and enter an already running app on the Fitbit. I.e. when I press back and the charge asks me if I'm finished there should be an option to exit without finishing. It could leave the tracking running as if it were started by the phone not the watch itself. Then when entering an already tracking exercise the Fitbit can continue that.

It doesn't seem that complicated a fix to allow exit without finish and would fix this for lots of frustrated people.

CLDodson
First Steps

It seems completely nonsensical that I can't change my music while tracking a run. If I had known this I would have gone for another tracker, I still may change to another brand as this is a definite design flaw. 

Gerlinde_h
First Steps

Same here, I bought the charge 4 because I thought I could use Spotify while tracking - seems pointless to have the feature at all if this is not possible.

ExerciseIsLife
First Steps

I completely agree. I was excited to get the Charge 4 in order to use the exercise app and Spotify. Definitely disappointed this isn’t the case, and as a consumer I agree that an update needs to be released.

emilymaybe
First Steps

I agree with the original post, it was extremely disappointing to learn that I cannot control Spotify from my Fitbit while running. As advertised, I expected that I would be able to do this, and the fact that I cannot detracts quite a lot from the functionality of the Fitbit for me. I probably wouldn't have purchased this product if I had realized this was the case.

Ceweagles9
First Steps

This is a horrible feature. Fitbit please update in software. 

Ooodlesaur
First Steps

When my charge 3 died, I was devastated. I started using my samsung watch until Christmas in hopes of getting a new fitbit. I loved the ability to play music from my watch. I'm a fitness instructor and we do workouts to music and it's a feature I really came to love! My husband seeing that the charge 4 SEEMED to have the capability to play music and log my workout out... bought it for me. How upsetting it was when I went to work and realized you can't actually log a workout AND control your music at the same time. This is a fitness tracker -- why would you not allow someone to do both?! I was really looking forward to not having to pick up my phone after every song to give explanations of what we are doing. I truly hope that you guys can remedy this!

legrandmawak
Stepping Up

it is a feature available in higher end wrist band. what I understand when I expected to found this built-in, in my charge 4, is that they want us to purchase the pricier gear. this is not a lazy dev. thing. Its a marketing thing. They can put in on the charge 4 but they rather let people buy their wrist band at 300$ instead.I purchased the Charge 4 as a first fitness tracker to see if I like it. Im not disappointed but they could improve the software for sure.

The spotify issue is a bummer. Also sometime I want to know what time is it, the weather etc.. I can't ... why ? because I'm exercising ???! lol

I don't think we ask to much to have the MAIN feature available whilst exercising. Please fix this.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.