Charger Connector Cover for Sense

a small thin ring that has 4 magnetic prongs to connect to charging ports on the back of the Fitbit sense while it is not charging.
41 Comments
KateOK
First Steps

I just got a Sense two weeks ago and have been fighting the itchy rash ever since then. I had a Versa 2 before and got rashes from that too, but I think that was more from the band since it was all over my wrist. I thought at first that this rash was coming from the band too, but started to notice that it will just be in a nice little square where the back of the actual watch piece touches my skin. I would LOVE to have an option like this. In the meantime, do we think clear nail polish would impact performance? It helped when I had a reaction to the clasps on the watchband of the Versa, I just don't want to damage it. Otherwise, I'll probably have to return it and try and find another smartwatch. 

Tracy7873
Tempo Runner
Im not sure about that I bought some screen protector online and put it over the back of my sense I make 4 small holes for the charger to connect still and I wear my sense at the inside of my wrist then turn it round during day so its not getting long period of time against the same part of the skin that along with the nickel allergy cream so far has helped me I love the sense part from the nickel I also replaced my strap with a woven 1 of amazon

C Hutton
...---...
Recovery Runner
  • Tracy7873, glad to hear the screen protector on the back is working for you too! Also, thanks for mentioning placing your watch differently to give your skin a rest. My daughter's & I always wear it on the opposite wrist overnight to help give our skin a chance to breath (from the watch & the band.)
  • KateOK, The link to the screen protector I bought is in my prev post (5 or 6 posts before yours) if you want to check it out. If you get the screen protector, make sure you pre-punch the holes for the charging ports (you shouldn't do it once it's on or you could damage the charging ports). Also, I needed to trim it a bit shorter along 1 edge so it didn't overlap the watch band connection. It has been working great for my daughter (she also  has nickle allergies.) She's had it on for almost 2 months now with no problems at all (yay!). 
  • Hope this helps 😊
Tracy7873
Tempo Runner
Thank you for responding I done it exactly the way you had suggested I've also passed it on to 6 of my friends who lyk myself bought a different fitbit versa 2 which I didn't like I passed it on to my daughter as I'd rather the sense now I've conquered the nickel part I'm now having bother with the sense control 1 minute it works next it can't connect

C Hutton
Inco01
First Steps

I just bought the sense 2 and also experience the problem with nickel allergy. Until now I always had a charge and I had no problems with the device itself.

I used to have this with analog watches too and my mother always put transparent nail polish on the back. Of course this has to be repeated regularly, but if you only do it on the connector that contains the nickel,  wouldn't this be a solution?

I haven't tried it yet as I don't know if it wouldn't affect loading.

Tracy7873
Tempo Runner
I don't think that would work as your putting liquid on it I got covers of ebay I put on the back of mine and haven't had a bother since there actually for the face of the fitbit but I use it on the back to cover the nickel & remove it 2 charge it you get 4 in a pack there called plastic covers for fitbit sense hope this helps
C Hutton
Lxxv
First Steps

@...---... could you post a picture of the prepunched holes? And what device did you use that has the exact same size to punch the holes?

Tracy7873
Tempo Runner
I actually didn't put any holes in it I just use it as it is then when fitbit needs charged I take it of keep it safe then put it back on when charged

C Hutton
Lxxv
First Steps

@Tracy7873 Will it not lose it's adhesive abilities if you keep removing and reapplying it? 

Tracy7873
Tempo Runner
Eventually yea it does but you get 4 or 6 in a packet

C Hutton
...---...
Recovery Runner

I used the zagg invisiblesheild screen protector.

PSX_20221101_111840.jpg

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=fitbit+sense+screen+protector&_dyncharset=UTF-8&_dynS...

Step 1 of installation is to remove paper backing & align. After this step I marked the 4 holes (used a thin point Sharpie marker) and trimmed the edges where the band connects (it is a bit long otherwise.)

Then I used a hole punch (picked mine up at Walmart, a whole set of them for around $10 - any hardware store should have them)

Here's a pic of hole punches:

PSX_20221101_111813.jpg

https://www.menards.com/main/tools/hand-tools/punches-nail-sets/wilde-tool-reg-pin-punch-set-5-piece...

Pick the correct size hole punch, set screen protector on a scrap block of wood (or something you don't care about wrecking as it will go through the screen protector & cut into whatever is underneath it), put hole punch on mark and hit with hammer.

Here is a video of someone using a hole punch on leather (start video at 3:53 mark)(In the video he turns his leather piece over & punches it again. You only need to do it from 1 side on the screen protector unless it didn't go all the way through from the 1st hit.)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zcVPrtojVFg

Then finish the installation instructions for the screen protector. It has lasted on my daughters fitbit sense for over 8 months now with no problems.

Hope this helps!😊

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

...---...
Recovery Runner

(Deleted - found out I could edit orig post) learn something new every day!

Tracy7873
Tempo Runner
Thank u very much il try that

C Hutton
...---...
Recovery Runner

Your welcome tracy7873, glad to help☺

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Stainless steel, even medical grade like fitbit uses, needs to have some nickle in it. Or the pins will rust. 

AmyBD
Base Runner

Hi All.  I'm a little late to the discussion.  I've had/have an Alta that I no longer use because of the skin irritation.  I had thought it was the sensor lights until I found where someone was using tape on an earlier model's charging port.  I found this thread, and I have a question about putting holes in the screen protector....  It SEEMS counter productive, as, I'd think the holes would still expose the skin to the contacts?  Or have I got it backwards (likely)? 

Thank you for the suggestion.  I'm considering the Sense 2, but I don't want to have skin irritation issues again.  

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.