Choose type of diet for Macros

I think you should make the food log with the ability to choose what type of diet you are following like low carb, keto, etc. That way the net carbs are calculated as well and percentages can be managed better. I am currently thinking I am going to have to use a different app. I would love to keep fitbit, but it doesn't allow for the managing of my macros.

Moderator edit: Clarified subject.

40 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LanuzaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts @AlyA13

Let's see what other users think about your suggestion.

Todmel91
First Steps

Can you please make this a feature for all fit bit devices. Please allow us to change or micronutrients- fat-protein-and carbs. For those following the KETO DIET. Thank you 

Rebecs1993
Recovery Runner

This would be so helpful to know net carbs vs total carbs. And being able to set your goal for each

dalvazquez
First Steps

I want to select the diet that I follow from the preferred settings. Options such as: 

1. Keto (with percentages of the carbs, protein, fat), I want to be over budget when the carb percentage is higher than 5% for Hard Weight Loss, 7.5% for Medium, 10% for Relaxed.
    1. 60-75% of calories from fat (or even more),
    2. 15-30% of calories from protein, and
    3. 5-10% of calories from carbs. (https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/page/KetoDiet-Buddy)
  2. Paleo,
    1. 22-40% carbohydrates,
    2. 19-35% protein, and
    3. 28-58% fat depending on the weight of the person and the goals for weight loss. 
  3. Ovo-Lacto Vegetarian - under budget when the protein is less than the suggested protein below by weight. It would be ideal to show the graphs for the critical items that are low such as iron, calcium, etc. 
Recommended Daily Minimum Protein Intake for Different Body Weights

Weight

(lb)

Weight

(kg)

Recommended Protein

(grams)

1. Vegan - It would be ideal to show the graphs for the critical items that are low such as iron, calcium, etc. 
  2. Diabetics - Ideally select the type so that the sugar measurements can be better shown. Show dangerous when the sugar intake is too high or too low. 
  3. Low Cholesterol - over budget (dangerous) when the saturated fat and salt intakes are too high. 

Enhance with the nutrients view to understand when someone is low on x vitamin or having too much vitamin of y. Making these enhancements will help you serve those who used to be customers of caloriecount, which was shut down. It will also increase your market value and you could create an upgrade feature for this component so people pay a subscription price of .99 to 1.99. If you add the ability to generate a nutrition label that can be sent as an image via other means you could upsell for each service or a tier of the subscription. 

Keep a dedicate product manager over this swimlane to continue to enhance with new trends in the market, making you the preferred app for food logs and capturing a huge gap in the market. 

As an added feature use your product training department, to train people on myths and misconceptions of the various diets. Add facts based on research conducted at the universities which there are plenty. Add basic information when selecting a diet plan in the Advanced settings. 

Quick and Sweet Enhancements:

1. Let me click on the percentage of carb, protein, and fat to narrow down and view the not recorded percentages and be able to see the gram count for each. 
  2. Create a suggested meal plan based on the diet as part of the Nutrition Coach (new product line). 
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

With so many people on low carb or keto diets, it would be a great upgrade to allow the macros percents (fat, protein, carbs) to be set up based upon individual diet needs. Adding option to track net carbs versus total carbs would allow me to utilize my fitbit for tracking food intake without having to enter it in two separate apps.

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hey @SunsetRunner! Thank you for sharing your suggestion with the Community. I merged your idea with this suggestion because they are very similar. Please do not forget to give kudos by clicking on the thumbs up button.

kuso_trevor
Stepping Up

More and more of the fitness/dieting community are using diets that calculate net carbs. Please update the calculation for Macros to take into account this way of eating.

More of the medical community is also adopting a net carb approach to reversing/treating Type 2 Diabetes. Which is highly undiagnosed but already accounts for over half of the US seeking medical care/testing.

This could easily be incorporated with a check box and then a net carb calculation prior to calculating macro values along with totals on site.

kuso_trevor
Stepping Up

Please include the Net Carbs votes to this topic as they're very similar and this feature request needs to be reconsidered due to more scientific studies proving the health value beyond weight loss for a lower carb dieting approach.

Jenrice22
First Steps

This would make the Fitbit app so much more useful. Instead I have to go to your competitor, Under Armour, too track net carbs in MyFitnessPal. I am on the Keto diet and this would be a tremendous improvement to your app

ys727
First Steps

I know we can check macro nutrition in the dashboard, but I think it would be useful if we see this macro nutrition(per g, not just percentage) in app. Now days Keto diet is very popular and it needs very careful trace of Carb by gram. Other than that, many of us care about about much fat we eat per day by gram, not just percentage(Only me? 😞 )

I would appreciate if the app shows me also how many grams of protein, fat and carbs I eat, not only the percentage as it does now. 

Please consider this simple adding text stuff!!

Thanks

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ys727 ! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Keep adding your ideas.

Kwillamarie
First Steps

I would love to be able to see my "net carbs" for tracking my nutrition. Being able to set them or see them in my macro percentages would be very helpful! Thanks! 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Kwillamarie! That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing it.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion, as the more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs.

Spidermonkey19
First Steps

Great idea, the percentage is great if you’re needing a certain volume from data or whatever, but being able to see the grams of fats/protein/carbs on the app would be awesome. I’m using a different app now as the Fitbit nutrition section doesn’t cut it. 

Zip18
Recovery Runner

I would also like to see the carb count expanded as I too am following the Paleo eating plan, which counts macronutrients versus carbs alone.

Zip18
Recovery Runner

I would also like to see the carb count expanded as I too am following the Paleo eating plan, which looks at more than carbs alone. Please expand the net carb function to make it more adaptable to different eating plans.

donutmama
Jogger

Having my FitBit sync with my KetoDiet app would be so fantastic! Right now I'm logging into three different apps:

KetoDiet - track my macros

MyFitnessPal - track my activity to enter it into the FitBit app.

FitBit - to track my activity and the social aspect.

I would much rather track in Keto and FitBit so I could ditch MyFitnessPal. Please software-developing-goddesses... make it happen! Heart

CindyLeah
Jogger

This would be an awesome update. There are a huge number of people following keto and other diets that track “Net Carbs”, which are very different numbers than “Carbs”. We are required to use a separate app for this tracking and it is a major pain. Please incorporate this change asap and have it available in the app. Thanks so much. 

Gedd01
First Steps

I create fitbit meals according to my current diet plan issued by my PT so i can easily add the complete meal to my fitbit food tracker.  My diet is subject to continual change due to different types of gym work and weight lifting plans and i therefore suggest a Diet plan organiser that i can store several Diet plans that can be selected as current plan and made top of the list for easy access.  At the minute i need to either delete the old meals or scroll through them all to get the latest ones at the bottom of the list.

Status changed to: Needs More Info
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Gedd01, thanks for sharing your Feature Suggestion with the Fitbit Community. We aren't sure if you mean to have more diet plans in the Fitbit app, or to store different customized recipes from which you can choose at any time. We'd like to understand your idea better. Please reply with more detail or specifics about this suggestion.

Gedd01
First Steps

Hi Lizzie,

In the app I would like to store several diet plans. I could then choose and activate / favourite the current plan I am on. When logging each meal then the custom meals are relevant to the current plan and I don’t have to scroll through all old custom meals to get to the relevant ones.
[Image]

If we were able to perhaps prioritise the custom meals to the top of the list then this may also work but not be as comprehensive as choosing a diet plan.

Hope this makes more sense.

Many Thanks

Moderator edit: removed personal information

LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Gedd01. Thanks for sharing more details about your idea. I've moved it into a similar request so we can keep the board organized, easily searchable and see which idea other members are voting for. You can also check this other suggestion, post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support!

donutmama
Jogger

Having the FitBit app be able to track my macros, or even better, sync with the Keto app would be so ideal! Every time I work out or eat I’m updating two or three apps to make sure that I’m within my goals for the day. It’s hard to keep up and stay motivated. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Would love to be able to choose the Macros I want to keep track of. I got a Charge 3 for Christmas but was disappointed that you can't choose what Macros you would like to track.

It should also be a free feature because not everyone wants premium.

RealClarkKent
Jogger

This was started in April 2018 with tons of requests for the same thing and nothing yet? Can't we get SOMETHING? If only something that just let's us toggle between which macro we want to track? Calories, carbs, cholesterol, etc.?

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.