Clip or Nurse Watch Style Strap

British healthcare staff (and presumably staff in hospitals across the world) do not wear anything below the elbow to ensure cleanliness. Carrying a phone around all day is also not always possible - so how can people in these roles measure their daily activity?

There is an opportunity for Fitbit to develop some alternative form of strap or clip that can be worn on clothing.

The Fitbit Zip is one solution, but this offers limited functionality, and the same applies to the Flex. Individuals are unlikely to purchase two Fitbit products, one for work and another for life outside, so device flexibility is the key.

Whilst the heart rate monitoring won't work whilst clipped to clothing, it will still provide the key data during the working day.

There are around 1.5 million British healthcare staff, and (according to Google) around 18 million healthcare staff in the US, so developing a strap or clip to make your devices more flexible could find a significant market.

Also, there doesn't appear to be any other activity tracker companies that have this product, so Fitbit could lead the way...

Thank you for your consideration.

Moderator Edition: Labels

45 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion. 

Rules8
First Steps

A simular idea, wearing the fitbit on the ankle (with an extra large band). As a massage therapist I can’t wear it on my wrist- oil & using forearm for massage. Can Fitbit do some testing on what is the best location on the ankle to be able to get steps & heart rate. Suggested on forum inside 2 inches above ankle for a flat area. Others have said HR reads high in exercise. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

The One was perfect for this.  Just saying...

Raneia
Jogger

I just suggested something similar for the Charge3, so SUPPORT. I would prefer a carabiner type though.

@Rules8I tried the ankle method with my Flex2 and it seemed to work at first. However since my ankle band is not an original FitBit accessory it did start to make trouble very soon. I've got a metal allergy and the metal loops in the band started reacting with my skin. Also, an ankle band means you can't ever check time or whatever while wearing your FitBit device.

Rules8
First Steps
As a massage therapist it doesn’t work for checking the time for me anyway. I was using a standard watch as well. I needed it to display all the time. I gave up on it two weeks in. The inaccuracies, It would tell me I was asleep when I was sitting still. Not measure distance, steps & hills consistently the same. And I found I started to sleep and concentrate less even with Bluetooth off. A useful experiment & informative.

Sarah
Lauralawrence19
First Steps

I am a career and I'm not allowed to wear the fitbit on my wrists for safety and hygiene reasons. I just wondered if you were thinking about bringing out a nurses type watch, that we could wear on our uniform to count steps and we could then put it on a strap for when we're not working. I need a new one but don't want to get one if your bring one out like it. Many thanks Laura xx

MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Lauralawrence19, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us,this feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Please do not forget to give kudos by clicking on the thumbs up button.

MASON999
First Steps

I work for ambulance service and we have a bare below elbow i love my fit bit and unfortunately  its a pain to clip my fitbit to my trousers  loop as it catchers on bits a nurse watch adaptor or belt clip or even a necklace adaptor for the charge 3 would be amazing for us in health care, and even people in food industry 

Moderator edit: Subject for clarity and labels.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion @MASON999! We look forward to hearing what other community members think. Robot Happy

BobApp
Jogger

I would like to suggest the development of a product that would clip onto my regular watch(s) - under the wrist. Think Alta HR or Charge HR - but in slightly flatter format, perhaps with smaller screen (no need for watch faces). Still link to App on cell phone, still maintain hr function, and of course tracking function.

Reason for this product - many of us have watches we want to wear during the regular work day, but also want to maintain track of steps, flights of stairs, and HR.

What do you think?

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @BobApp! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing.  I've moved it into a similar suggestion. Hopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

mjkey
Recovery Runner

I've been following the conversations about wanting a clip option for trackers ever since Fitbit decided to get rid of the One (because let's face it -- there are times when we'd all rather not be wearing a visible fitness tracker, and not all of us like to accessorize with fitness tracker pendants, which seems to be the only other option), and it's still surprising to see Fitbit ignoring these suggestions. Sure, the HR feature wouldn't work with a clip but at least we'd still have the option to track steps etc. on days we can't wear wristbands. And a lot of (women's) clothing doesn't come with pockets, so it's not like we can just put the tracker in a pocket. Fitbit products are great but lack of response to customer feedback is pretty disappointing and I'll be looking to other companies when my One gives out. 

KylieBowie
Jogger

Thank you! I have the exact same problem! I used to have a clip on my alta but now I can’t with the Fitbit charge 3. I need to wear this for my steps etc but I’m unable to with work! 

IrishGuy
First Steps

This is such a good but also necessary idea. To think fitbit have not done this yet is quite surprising.

It will achieve a number of things.

(1) Allow paying user to get the full use of the product, not being able to track 12hr shifts on your feet really voids the purpose of buying one.

(2) Patients being treated by users in the caring profession may ask questions and initiative a nice conversation around health and fitness and overall allow healthcare professionals to portray the healthy lifestyles which they so tirelessly work to advocate.

(3) If fitbit advertised this correctly, it would target a huge market of workers who spend so long on their feet and would finally have a way to track it. 

babblebabble
First Steps

Seconding this and IrishGuy's comment. My partner is a doctor working with a bare-below-the-elbows policy and so cannot wear a wristband at work. I have been hoping to get her a fitbit for some time but a 'step count' that can't include her dashes about the hospital is pretty useless.

The hope would really be that your fitbit can do the basics of step-tracking and displaying the time on a clip when on the wards, but can be put into a wriststrap when off-duty to track workouts, sleep and HR.

I'd been excited about the new Inspire range but the Inspire HR cannot be clipped (or lacks a compatible clip, not sure which). I am not expecting HR functionality to work when the fitbit is clipped, the point would be to be able to use that function in the wristband when off-duty (and maybe during the commute or lunch as a reminder to breathe). Really hoping that we can get a clip for the Charge and that the idea of a clip for the Inspire HR will be reconsidered.

ZrCatherine
Jogger

Hi, my FitBit one is going to reach the end of its life eventually, and i'm trying to sort out a replacement before that happens.  😞

Are there any plans to make a clip for the FitBit Charge 3 available for example?  The only important features to me are: a bra clip-on; a step-counter; a floors climbed monitor, -  and the ability to sync these every few days or so rather than having to sync continuously.... 

* A wrist band is not suitable, i'd ruin or loose the tracker in the garden or with the daily dog-wrestle some people think of as "walking the dog".  - I don't care about a heart rate monitor, but want daily floors and daily steps counted. (You know, just like the Fitbit one does!)

Corr
Sprinter

Good idea!

But instead of producing a clip for the Charge 3 it would be even a better idea if Fitbit brought back the Fitbit One or maybe even a brand new Fitbit Two 👍

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Thanks for your suggestions @ZrCatherine @Corr.

I moved your requests to this thread in order to keep the Feature Suggestions board more organized.

I would like to mention, we have recently released the Fitbit Inspire which can be worn on a bra/belt clip.

ZrCatherine
Jogger

Double post

ZrCatherine
Jogger

Hi thanks @EdsonFitbit @for combining these threads. Does the clip Inspire  do climbs, heart rate and GPS?

EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ZrCatherine, the Fitbit Inspire doesn't track floors nor heart rate, but it offers you Connected GPS. You can check out the features of the Fitbit products currently available at the Fitbit Store on this site.

ZrCatherine
Jogger

I will look forward to Fitbit producing something that does what i and others require in the future then! 🙂

Mezzoso
Jogger

I have a progressive muscular disorder, this is resulting in increased weakness in my hands. As a result I am not always able to undo or do up the clasp of the band of my Charge 3, and this is getting worse. I am looking for a band which is elastic, so I can just slip the Fitbit on and off.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Mezzoso! Great suggestion, thanks for taking the time to share why you would like to see this option on Charge 3. I've moved it into a similar suggestionHopefully we will have support from other users since more votes and comments an idea has the more visibility and momentum it gains.

caro48
First Steps

Something like this would be absolutely great for Versa too! I would love to be able to track my steps in the medical field but I can't wear a digital watch of any type at my hospital. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.