Connect Fitbit Pay with Paypal

I checked the fitbit pay bank list and it just seems strange that you have your own (very limited) list of banks you directly connect credit cards with, while there are already payment platforms out there that

1. have way more (if not ALL) banks connected

2. are already in use by the people that are entering your system (I already HAVE paypal, google pay, I do NOT want to mess around connecting my bank details to ANOTHER platform) 

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject

97 Comments
Agcquigley
First Steps

This suggestion was made over THREE YEARS ago! Still doesn't accept Google Pay, PayPal, Samsung Pay, or my bank. I'm very disappointed. I would have brought a Samsung watch and I may still return my Versa.

JLox
First Steps

Fitbit clearly are not reading or taking seriously the number of posts on this subject.  It has been a long time not being listened so I gave up wishing and moved on.  I recommend those that want this feature to move on too 😔

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Agcquigley have you asked your bank? 

JLox
First Steps

Yes, when I first raised this as an issue.  I am with HSBC and at the time they were committed to Apple Pay. Not sure if they are now supporting with Fitbit but no longer a concern for me as I am happy with what I’ve  got now.  

Rhatsie
First Steps

So after reading this 3 year old(!!!) post I decided I won't be getting another Fitbit after this one....

I love the design and the functions but man... how hard is it to listen to your community? 

It is understandably hard to connect every bank with Gpay but how hard is it to connect a Fitbit with Paypal? (The most used internet creditcard may I add).

If this is community service I don't want it anymore.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

I have had several Fitbits since Fitbit bought Pebble. I have been patiently waiting for them to support PayPal, but it is obvious from this thread that they are not listening to the community and are ready to lose a large portion of their marketshare. As others have stated, I believe that it is time to move to a competing watch that offers the most asked for feature for Fitbit, G-Pay, or PayPal support. Time to look into Samsung watches.

Meeshmeesh1
Jogger

@SunsetRunner it is worth it to know that Google has bought out both Fitbit and Samsung a few years back. I would hold out in buying anything until Google Wear OS is available across all the watches lol. All of these fitbit devices will be obsolete in a few years anyways. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Meeshmeesh1 when did Google but Samsung? Everything I see says they are still owned by the Samsung Group. 

Herrline
First Steps
Yes, a very poor aftersales service from fitbit! They absolutly don't care about there end users? The watch does work with around half a dozen banks, all in the USA and are so small no one has heard of them? PayPal would have been only too glad to help and set it up through them!
That way almost all banks around the world would have been covered!
Google bought fitbit and was finalised last December? Google use PayPal and banks to pay via there app, I am very surprised that the pay by wrist hasn't been adopted by there fitbit brand by now? I can see fitbit been dropped as a brand and all go to Google fit watches etc? But there's millions that bought the fitbit and are only asking for what was described in the sales pitch? "You can pay on the wrist" quite clear we don't matter even though we kept the company afloat with sales just for this application alone? Obviously a company no one should now follow or support, like you say go samsung as Google don't seem to give a hoot about us either or you would have pay on the wrist by now?

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
Get Outlook for Android
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@Herrline you are off a little with your numbers. 

It is closer to 220 US Banks, 4 transit systems, and about 400 more banks and 6 more transit systems in 55 more countries. 

Please remember, it is up to the bank to add fitbit, fitbit can not do this last step. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

@Meeshmeesh1Google did not buy Samsung. Samsung owns Samsung and their watches are Samsung made with WearOS on them.

Meeshmeesh1
Jogger

@SunsetRunner yeah.. their watches all have GOOGLE wearOS on them... All I was saying is that I presume with google having their own WearOS, and owning fitbit, that they will likely merge the OS at some point, so it wont matter where you buy the watch, they will all be google OS. 

Meeshmeesh1
Jogger

@Rich_Laue They were talking about paypal... that all of these banks are already connected through paypal, so fitbit only needs to add paypal to be accessible to all of those banks. 

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Actually @Meeshmeesh1 I will quote, "The watch does work with around half a dozen banks, all in the USA and are so small no one has heard of them?"

Does that seem like they are talking about Paypal? 

The half a dozen (actually 220, not 6) banks include, these not so small banks 

• Bank of America
  • Citicorp
  • Sun trust 
  • Pnc
  • American Express
  • Wells Fargo
  • Capital One
  • Chase, 

The and all in America leaves out the 55 other countries that have banks that support Fitbit Pay. 

So let's look at the banks that support PayPal. 

• Bank of America
  • BNY Mellon
  • BB&T
  • Citibank
  • JPMorgan Chase
  • Keybank
  • PNC
  • Suntrust
  • Wells Fargo

PayPal supports 9 banks. For other banks, the user needs to keep a balance in PayPal to cover any future purchase. 

For me, I can choose if I want Paypal to act like a credit or debit card. 

Meeshmeesh1
Jogger

@Rich_Laue I am not about to fact check you officially, but I use paypal and don't have an account with any of those banks, and don't "transfer money to paypal" for it to work... And yes, they said fitbit doesn't have support for major banks, but that paypal would solve that problem, not that they should try to get new banks to support. Also your "not so small banks" - I also have only even heard of two of them. 

Sheesh if you wanted to write a comparative opinion essay you should go to university and do so, no need to try to twist peoples words on a FITBIT forum to make yourself "right". 

Herrline
First Steps
No they didn't buy Samsung! Google bought fitbit, Samsung have there own version and Samsung product are bought via PayPal? Google use paypal too but still won't connect fitbit to paypal! So you can't pay via the fitbit watch? Google watches I understand you can?
Samsung are a great company,
If you read the post correctly you would see I was agreeing with another osrty that Samsung are better than Google as Google have dragged there feet in getting pay by fitbit wristwatch so read the post again send get the story right before making comments about Samsung?

Sent from Samsung Mobile on O2
BigEd01
Jogger

Well, here it is about 4 years after the 1st comments on FitBit Pay and I see they were gonna talk about it. But what I'm seeing today is that nothing was done about it. Still doesn't take my Discover, nor my PayPal Mastercard. Though it isn't a deal breaker on keeping the watch I know I will be taking the 1st 6 months free account then dumping it. I still carry my phone so I still have my options to pay with that. And since Google owns FitBit for over a year now where is GPay app for it???? 

Herrline
First Steps
Yep! Dead right dude, where the hell is google pay on fit bit? Makes you wonder why they bought Fitbit if they were not to improve aspects of it?

Sent from my ipad
Oxnerd
Jogger

How do I contact my bank to suggest they support fitbit pay?

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

Without knowing the name of your bank, I suggestgcalking the toll free number that is found on the back of your bank card. 

szlarti
First Steps

PayPal? 😟 🙏

NewThinMe
Jogger

You would think that in 4 years time there would be far more banks participating right? Banks have to PAY Google to participate. Google charges a small fee for every transaction and your bank pays that fee. Just like how every merchant pays Visa/MC/etc to accept their cards.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.