Correct term "calories" to "kilocalories"

Please correct the error of all software versions : The term "calories" is used incorrectly. In fact the right term is "kilocalories", wich is normally abbreviated in kcal (all in low case).

By the way, the new and SI right unit for energy is not more kilocalories, but kilojoule, abbreviated kJ. Why not implement both of them?

3 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

That’s an interesting idea and could be useful, thanks for sharing this suggestion.

Vexleigh
First Steps

I concur. Americans use "calories" when they mean "kilocalories" which is not only inaccurate, but also confusing and stupid.

While we're at it, please add desilitre (dl) as a measurement option, it's very common where I'm from. (It's 100 millilitres, or one tenth of a litre.)

Lynx_MM
First Steps

I agree as well. It should be kcal not cal. I know Americans love to abbreviate (or use contractions) for almost everything, but one extra letter to make it correct? C'mon .... 😉

My appeal to the application designers and programmers is to correct what is wrong, even if so many Americans are already getting used to this unit of measurement without the correct prefix (k). Be the champion and show the users that you can lead the industry by good example 🙂

On a positive note, at least the distance is still showing in km (kilometers) instead of m (meters), so the app designers DO understand the difference. 

On another note, Vexleigh, in your analogy about the measure of liquid volume, I think it should be deci (from latin decimus or tenth) not desi. 

...and on the subject of units, I remember when USA was "trying" to switch to metric and I saw a speed limit sign in km/m Can ANYONE make sense of this one? How did this get approved by some "educated" engineer to actually make a road sign. LOL

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.