Customise Lap Distances

Hi

I do bike racing on tracks of under 2 km length, with each track of an individual size.  I think the fitbit ionic should allow you to set what the length of the track is for running, biking, swimming so you can count your laps and figure out lap times.  Currently, the option is too large and standardised.  Its nice the GPS can map out your total distance, etc, but other fitness apps available on phones allow for customised lap distances, etc.  I much rather have it all on my fitbit ionic.  cheers

Moderator Edition: Format & Labels

27 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AlexandraFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us @BeachRat! We look forward to hearing what other community members think. Robot Happy

Lawson77
Base Runner

The cue distances are preset as 0.4 km 1,0 km etc etc.

The 0.4 km ticks over at aprox 0.4km; 0,8 km; 1,2km..........5,65km; 6,05km !

Why does the 0,4 km not lap at 0,4 km intervals ?

Please provide intervals that can be set ACCURATELY by the user.  eg.  I would like to have a 0,5km lap, but my only option is the preset approximate 0,4km

Lawson77
Base Runner

Desperately need a lap distance that is a factor of 1 km 

(eg - 100m or 200m or 250m or 500m)

Only option is 400m - which is useless as it does not show at 1km, 3km, 5km etc etc

Even better - allow user to set own personal lap distances

robdquick
Jogger

I would love to be able to set 0.25km/0.5km lap distances! No idea why the only option below 1km is 0.4km.

Custom distances would be even better though!

soleary73
First Steps

When units are set to km, the automatic lap settings are 0.4 km, 1.0 km, 1.5 km, 2.0 km etc.

I can understand why 0.4 km is included for running on a track.  However, for road runners, 0.5 km makes much more sense.  If I go for a 10k road run, it would be very unusual for me to want notifications every 0.4 km.

Please add a 0.5 km option on this screen.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @soleary73 Thanks for adding your suggestion. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option on Fitbit Ionic, I hope we receive updates soon.

AndreKramer
Recovery Runner

I often use the "auto lap" when running with GPS so it allows me to run 1km and rest a few seconds before start running again. I also like to practice short fast sprints of 0.5km but I cannot set this lap length on Ionic because the shorter lap available on "Run" exercise is 1km. Because of that I have to select exercise "Hike" which allows me to set a 0.4km lap so I can practice fast sprints, and after finish I have to open the Fitbit app and re-categorize this exercise to Run.

Summary of the idea: Make shorter lap lengths available on "Run" and "Bike" exercises.

LuciaFitbit
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @AndreKramer, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. This feature suggestion already exists so I’ve moved your post here. Don't forget to add your vote!

bd89
First Steps

Currently, the shortest preset lap distance is 10 km for cycling. My commute to work is more of a sprint, and each km is markedly different (flat, climb, downhill). It's fun to compare how quickly I tackle each lap of my bike ride, but currently, I can only auto lap in increments of 10 km. It would be nice to have more flexibility in setting auto lap distances, for cycling as well as other sports. 

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @bd89! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

SarahJRunner
Jogger

I'd like my versa to remember my setting for running.  Every time I run, I have to switch from the .5 mile to the 1.0 mile setting.  I'd like have to default settings or have it at least remember the run before and use the same mileage or lap setting.  Thank you.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @SarahJRunner! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request. Post a comment or click on the thumbs-up to show your support.

ohphotom
Runner

I use the Ionic and discovered it came close to the right distance for a new walking track. But my wife's Inspire HR did not. While I can make calculations and adjust her stride within the Dashboard, it would be easier if it measured the laps for each trip around the course, which is 1/8 (or .125) mile. While it's easy to change, lengths are limited to ½, 1, etc., mile -- far too long. Simply enable the ability to change manually. Entering within Dashboard could work since we'd know ahead of time how long for a real lap, not just one contrived in the factory.

YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @ohphotom! Great suggestion, thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

ohphotom
Runner
Thanks for moving it with another post. There's magic in numbers. I can
only imagine requests with large favorable comments get priority!

Sent from my Moto G(7) Power
Craggle
First Steps
It would be great to be able to set custom times and distances etc for every exercise type.
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @Craggle, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to customize times and distances on exercises. Thanks for sharing your feedback. I've moved it into a similar request.  A lot of users are asking for this option, I hope we receive updates soon.

Claira
First Steps

It is so important for training to be able to customise laps. A training day may require 8x600m at one speed, another session 10x100m and so on. Speed days, endurance days and all sorts of goals need sets but really importantly, it would be so helpful to have interval sets customizable. For instance, today my intervals are 600m, 200m, 600m, 200m as I'm working on increasing pace and the 200m allows recovery. It would be a fantastic feature and even though I only have my charge 3 for four months, I would upgrade sooner than planned if this was available, especially if it was on a device with GPS and music storage.

Thanks for a great system so far, my health and fitness had really been motivated by Fitbit.

soleary73
First Steps

Hi Claira.  I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.  I requested something similar in Feb of last year and there are posts going back to Sept 2018  and nothing has ever been done about it.  It seems an obvious feature to include but it hasn't been done.  The only updates that ever appear on this thread are people requesting the same feature.

ohphotom
Runner
Sounds like you know what you want and need. Surely there are others,
hopefully many more. I'm hopeful if many so request, they will be able to
incorporate and, hopefully, let you know when that happens. Meanwhile, it
appears you'll have to make do. Maybe pause for slower segments?. It seems
you have the motivation but you could use better tools. Make your goals
happen for you!
Claira
First Steps

@ohphotom I pause but we still need to be able to customise the laps. 

ohphotom
Runner
Claira - Oddly, the HAVE enabled customizing laps. Downside of it is they
do so with choices, with as little as ½ mile, then miles. I agree it would
be better to allow entering a distance more of our choosing, such as ¼ mile
or even better whatever number of yards, feet. Those wanting meters
shroud be able to put .4, .25 or 4.5 for KM fields. Indeed, I've as much as
requested. So I"m with you on that.

Over time, I've learned how to also save and play music with my Ionic.
Thus, in theory, I could start a session of intervals for 2 minutes faster
and 3 minutes slower, which they term "rest" as an option. As I pass
through that pair to make up 5 minutes, I can also listen to music via my
Ionic. So far, they've not enabled changing song folder selections. So I'd
have to create a 2/3 folder with corresponding slow/fast songs. When it
prompts the next tempo, I'd then advance to the next song. Trouble is, all
this has to set up ahead of time, from my Windows 10 PC. So much for
spontaneity is removed as an option doing that way though. Keep at it! - Ron
joao-cruz
Jogger

I'd like to see this feature in the Charge 4 tracker. I'm running a closed trail, which is about 2.5KM, just about every week. I usually run 2 or 3 laps around it. It would be awesome to just put the lap distance matching the trail length, so that could have a better sense of progression. The existing options for lap distance on the run exercise aren't suited for this. I'm using 1Km laps, but it's not that useful...

ohphotom
Runner
I agree if they have any variability, they should enable more flexibility
for input. Go to the Communities for assistance. Try to discover if anyone
else has requested what you want, then add yourself as favorable to it. You
probably won't find exactly what you want. In that case, post one of your
own. Being specific to the Charge 4 may limit possibilities. It might be
better to consider other models -- for posting and maybe even upgrading to,
eventually. They won't offer all the options to lower-priced models or they
wouldn't sell any of those more expensive models. It might be perceived
they limit for that reason. Or you could look at it as they offer lower
priced models for those that don't want high-end features. Nothing is for
everyone. Best wishes on your runs!
Jade19750
Jogger

I would love to see 0.5km in the lap distances. 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.