Cycling splits and Stats

It would be great if the next software update did a conversion of cycling time/distance into steps and also allowed you to see lap splits for cycling 🙂

14 Comments
Mrgd1
Recovery Runner
To reflect sport such as cycling can you look at how you can track equivalent to steps - eg cadence mapping to steps? I do a 40km hard ride and get a few steps based on the Charge. Need to manually record and fake as a walk to log steps. First off can you enable Charge to record motion in cycling? Or else allow manual recoding on Log Activities to record equivalent of steps for Cycling?

Same applies to their sports no doubt.

Thanks (tweeted on this recently also and support asked I add here)
EvaZietz
First Steps

I agree, 3 hours on the bike and no steps.  Hard to compete with our friends   Please add a convert to steps button on the dashboard using universal accepted averages.

@Mrgd1 wrote:
To reflect sport such as cycling can you look at how you can track equivalent to steps - eg cadence mapping to steps? I do a 40km hard ride and get a few steps based on the Charge. Need to manually record and fake as a walk to log steps. First off can you enable Charge to record motion in cycling? Or else allow manual recoding on Log Activities to record equivalent of steps for Cycling?

Same applies to their sports no doubt.

Thanks (tweeted on this recently also and support asked I add here)

rialeeme
First Steps
I vote for GPS cycling option. Not conversion to steps but add to my distance.
dgagnier
Stepping Up

I find it completely bizarre that Fitbit markets a product like Blaze by saying that it will track all sorts of activities and then you buy it and discover that when it comes to the leaderboard and competing with others, the ONLY activity it tracks in any true sense is step-based activities! So, did I really just pay $249 for a pedometer??

This is nuts. C'mon Fitbit, it can't be rocket science to figure out a cycling-to-steps conversion or bootcamp-to-steps conversion etc... Are you feeling me here?

I can do a bootcamp in the morning, then cycle for two hours in the afternoon and on the leaderboard it looks like I've been sitting on the couch popping chocolates in my mouth.

If Fitbit wants the general public to take their products seriously - as in a serious fitness product, they HAVE to figure out how to make all activities COUNT on the leaderboard!

I know you can do it, Fitbit! Let's see it happen!

Mrgd1
Recovery Runner

@dgagnier - yes you did! Nice looking though - IMHO - but not enough to persuade me to make the extra leap. Yes, agree, the promo seems to imply more than we really get. I also call on Fitbit to get into this.

dgagnier
Stepping Up

Thanks. I stilll love the Blaze but this is a major deficiency that Fitbit needs to address. I'm sure many units get returned when customers realize that the marketing isn't actually accurate - when they realize that their non-step based activities (which Blaze is ALL ABOUT), don't/won't count. Very unfortunate, especially when it's an easy fix. Even just to give an "approx steps" calculation.

GerryCycles
First Steps

Please consider adding time of each split to exercise mode GPS workout tracking.  When cycling 20+ miles the time of each split (I use 1/2 mi) can vary from less than 3 mins to 12+ mins due to traffic lights, stop signs and steep hills. In addition to the total distiance, time and overall average time, it would be useful to hear the time of the last split.

bermuda6
Jogger

Fitbit needs to track cycling properly as steps.  This just needs to be a setting, where people can turn on/off this feature when needed.

dgagnier
Stepping Up
Hi there,

I wear a Blaze now, not a Charge HR any longer.

Now when I bike, I wear it around my ankle to get my cycling counted.

I have a milanese loop strap for Blaze that I bought on eBay. It's long
enough that it works to put it on my ankle and has a strong magnet so it
stays in place no problem.

I've watched the step counting as I ride and I think it's fair to do
this. Otherwise, it counts for nothing. 45 minutes of cycling is way
harder than 45 minutes of walking and amounts to the same number of
steps so I hardly feel like this is cheating when I'm working harder on
a bike for the same return.

Hope that helps a bit.

Derek
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
MarcelBK
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us. 

Sudee
Jogger

I request Fitbit to provide better cycling stats such Mile Splits, this feature is already available for running can you please make it available for Cycling as well?

Status changed to: Not currently planned
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum
Hi everyone, thanks for sharing this suggestion. We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs located at the top right box of the Feature Suggestions Board screen. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.
gjy0724
Recovery Runner
Add ability to display/store mile split data post cycling session. Since this is already available for running sessions adding the ability for cycling should be minimal. I ride my bike and even swim more than I run so having this available post exercise would be awesome
YojanaFitbit
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

Hi @gjy0724, thanks for explaining why you would like to have the option to see cycling splits.This feature suggestion already exists, so I've moved it into a similar request. While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides which suggestions get developed, visit our FAQs.

I hope to see you around.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.