Define Gender in the profile more accurately

Please include "Non Binary/Gender Queer" in your profile gender options.

Gender is not binary (biological sex or identity) and only offering "Female" or "Male" options alienates and invalidates part of your customer base (me included). Using biology to define gender as only male or female also excludes trans people. 

Here is a great resource for better understanding gender: https://www.genderspectrum.org/quick-links/understanding-gender/. Your information is outdated at best but can be yet another way NB/GQ people are marginalized by institutions and companies. We exist! 

I would also like to include that you should perhaps do some company wide training on how to engage with GQ/NB/Trans customers, because telling us that it's just biology is as mentioned, inaccurate and very alienating. It's pride month. Please do better.

109 Comments
BlooWren
First Steps

I just signed up for an account and was really taken by surprise that we're forced to pick between just the two binary options. At this point, it feels archaic! I'm on hormones, post-surgery so it isn't going to be accurate anyway.

All this does is make me feel bad and have negative feelings about the company 😞

BlooWren
First Steps

Just contacted them by chat and I'm honestly regretting my purchase and wondering if I can return the watch based off of the interaction.

Being stonewalled with 'it's biological sex only, so it's not a problem' is so unbelievably out of touch, dismissive and offensive. Not to mention completely inaccurate.

Seeing that this has been a request for so many years, for something *so simple* shows that it isn't important enough for them to change it. I'd rather find a competitor who treats me as a person.

PlantyThing
First Steps

@BlooWren I had success returning mine and getting a full refund, and this was my primary reason for doing so, though I imagine your mileage may vary a bit depending on where exactly you got it and what their return policies are. My purchase and return were at an REI where all the employees had their pronouns on their name tags, which made me feel comfy explaining exactly why I was returning it and they thanked me for letting them know FitBit sucks in this way so they have that info when they are recommending/not recommending watches to future customers. 

@Fitbit saying "Good idea, thanks for taking the time to share it with us" in 2018 and then not making any changes is not a good look and I will continue to let people know that you all refuse to do anything to change the ways your products are harmful to trans, non-binary, and intersex folks' mental & physical wellbeing. 

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Add Non-Binary option like available on my state’s Census. We must first be counted to be seen, served, and represented. 

mit_rekab
Recovery Runner
Dont feel bad just campaign for Male Female and OtherI know I raised this 3
years ago but I am sure they are working on it. What we dont want is them
to take longer because they are trying to put 10 plus genders in.
ookayden_
Jogger

If the development team is curious, I've seen other health apps such as Welltory include an "other" option where you then select your assigned sex at birth so the metrics can still be aligned with that sex but come up as "other" in the app 🙂

Merbutch
First Steps

Seriously, in 2023 we're still stuck with two options‽ I would hate for an intersex person to use a Fitbit. I know that as an intersex, transgender nonbinary, and genderqueer person, I am tired of seeing woman and female all over the text information in the app. I'm not female, nor a woman, and unable to correctly label myself in the app. I am only continuing to use this Fitbit because it is for a study that I am deeply invested in.

Raevynn14
First Steps
There needs to be an "other" or "X" for gender options as "male" and "female" do not include those born intersex, or those who are hormonally different than what is typical for the genitals they were born with.
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @Raevynn14, thanks for taking the time to share this product feedback about including intersex and non-binary for gender options with us. Because this product feedback was already requested in this board, I’ve moved your post here. Please support this product feedback by adding your vote, this helps our developers to keep tracking its popularity and demand over time.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.