Developer Dashboard

Please create a dashboard that would display user statistics, ie, number of installs, statistics for Fitbit Web API, etc. It could be integrated into the existing GAM

42 Comments
Adrienna27
Tempo Runner

@YojanaFitbit  This merge isn't appropriate.   Cubby's suggestion had nothing whatsoever to do with a developer dashboard, but with the recent changes to the user dashboard.

ted-tanner
Base Runner

@YojanaFitbitWhen can we expect to see some movement on this? Just a simple download counter on GAM would suffice. This is an essential feature and GAM shouldn't exist without it, yet there has been absolutely 0 movement on this for TWO YEARS despite the popularity of the suggestion.

Guy_
Space Racer

When do we get some statistics on downloads in the GAM dashboard?

In addition to knowing how many downloads I would like to know the count by user profile, language by region/country setting,or phone app language, for documentation purposes.

If there are enough downloads in languages other than English then it would be helpful to translate and make it available in those languages.

Also which models the app is downloaded on.

I'm looking to be more helpful to my users wherever they are.

KitEason
First Steps

Late 2020 checking in.  I love much of the developer experience for Fitbit faces, but having no download stats as we approach 2021 is just astonishing.  Having a thriving ecosystem is very much to Fitbit's benefit, and motivating free and paid developers is key to this.  Please at least put basic download counts beside each version in the GAM.  Thank you!

Totally agree with @KitEason. Stats would further motivate developers to create new app content for the Fitbit ecosystem without which (sadly) it could end badly for Fitbit! 

AHandle
Jogger

I, again, agree with other developers like @KitEason and @PriyankaPardesi. The best metric I have right now is looking at the number of reviews for applications inside the developer gallery. Even that metric is only a fraction of total downloads. For example, one of my applications has over 500 reviews, yet, it remains without a download count, feedback section (viewable to the developer), and with serious restrictions on usability and little-to-no incentives to develop.

While I love the mission and vision of FitBit, I cannot seriously develop quality apps for a platform that is derelict of duty to its developers. Especially when that platform makes it near-impossible to monetize anything on their platform (without the end-user jumping through K-Pay or similar hoops). 

Tsjarly
Recovery Runner

Any update on this yet? 🙂

Guy_
Space Racer

Is anything happening on the statistics.

It would be so easy to trap activity and update it on a regular basis, so it doesn't need to be a complicated real time update.

Process the connections to a given clock/app and count them and add them in the display in GAM with the ratings

Come let's have something more than we have now!!

dnationalwala
Recovery Runner

Yes, that's a must have feature. We cannot go on publishing free app without knowing if someone downloads that stuff. Knowing users will encourage us to be build more faces.

PACIFIC1
Recovery Runner

Usually I'm not that demanding, but it seems like it's been three years from the start of the suggestion and I find it a long time for something so necessary.

Tsjarly
Recovery Runner

The lack of communication with respect to this very easy implementation is just ridiculous. There is really no excuse to not implement this nor explain why it cant/wont be done for 4 years!!! Similar for the AOD availability for hobby developers, which also still isn't fixed. In one of the posts for that subject you claim that you invite certain developers for these functionalities based on ratings and downloads. So you do have the information. which means you're purposely not sharing? whyyy?

AHandle
Jogger
Again, as I implied over a year ago, the lack of communication from FitBit
on this suggestion is outrageous. We’ve seen topics come and go with the
same suggestion!and it’s lasted nearly four years without answer.

No wonder the company dropped from $320 Million to $190 Million between
2019-2020. All that money and no one to even answer a suggestion by those
who make up the backbone of your smartwatches. truly hoped when FitBit was
bought out that it would finally care about it’s FREE developers. The ones
that literally FILL THE APP GALLERY mostly for FREE for FITBIT.
AHandle
Jogger

Oh great. Apparently you can’t even respond to the discussion emails without it screwing up your sentencing and you can’t edit or delete your comments. Here’s the corrected version:

Again, as I implied over a year ago, the lack of communication from FitBit on this suggestion is outrageous. We’ve seen topics come and go with the same suggestion and it’s lasted nearly four years without answer.

No wonder the company dropped from $320 Million to $190 Million between 2019-2020. All that money and no one to even answer a feature request from those who make up the backbone of your smartwatches.

I truly hoped when FitBit was bought out that it would finally care about it’s FREE developers. The ones that literally FILL THE APP GALLERY mostly for FREE for FITBIT.

Guy_
Space Racer

It is true, with the third party developers producing free clock faces and apps it is a huge marketing point for Fitbit.

By supporting these developers with better statistics it would encourage them to concentrate on making even better clocks and apps and be an even greater selling point for Fitbit products.

The effort required to improve the statistics is so minimal, even a trainee could do it. So why has it not been done?

rcge
Base Runner

Very disappointed this hasn't made progress - as a developer with a 5* clock face with > 11000 reviews I hate not being able to get any statistics on downloads or usage.

I get many emails asking for enhancements and just reply that I have no immediate plans for an update; maybe I should start telling users the real truth which is that Fitbit gives me zero incentive to do so.

marylouwho
Jogger

New hobby developer and would love this feature. Its motivating but also shows what's popular and whats not to be able to build more of the same etc. Stats are important.

anujtripathi.04
First Steps

3 years into this, any update?

Fitbit produces good quality hardware but it really lags behind on complete software bundle (SDK platform, GAM, etc.....)

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.