Disable Fitbit device screen when paired phone is in DND

I would like a do not disturb mode on Ionic or have it sync with do not disturb on my android phone, but during that do not disturb time I would like it so that the Ionic screen doesn't come on unless I press the side button.  It is pretty bright in a dark room.

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

14 Comments
SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Excellent idea. Going to the movies today and would love this.

Marcellow
Jogger

I am all in for this type of "off at night" type of functionality. Have a Charge 2 now and thinking of a Ionic, but this could be a big issue (bigger screen, more light)... 

MykeyWill
Jogger

I agree if you could sync your Fitbit (I have a charge 2) with your do not disturb function on your phone it would be great. Atm every night I have to manually turn on and off quick view and disconnect from Bluetooth so as to not be woken by receiving notifications 

ratcityrain
Strider

Update - there is a way to turn off notifications on the ionic while you sleep, but I doubt that turns off the bright screen

Go to settings/notifications and the second choice is "during sleep" - turn that off and you shouldn't get any, but my guess is the screen will still illuminate during movement 

MykeyWill
Jogger
Thanks. I only have the Charge2 so perhaps I put this post in the wrong place. Thanks for your help anyway.

Sent from my iPhone
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

It is a multistep  process right now:

Swipe right

Tap notificatios

Tap Screen Wake

SkipFire
Base Runner

It would be great to have a sleep mode that can be selected.  I move before I go to sleep and my Ionic keeps lighting up every time I move.  I know sleep detection is automatic, but it would be nice to have a button I can tap on the screen that when selected disables the movement based screen lighting and suppresses all notifications expect alarms until the left button is pressed to disable sleep mode.  My Microsoft Band and Band 2 both had that feature and it was great.

MrMannilow
Recovery Runner

@SkipFire swype right on the watchface screen and set the "Screen Wake" setting from auto to manual - this will prevent it from turning on when you are trying to get to sleep

you can also turn off phone notification from this screen as well. There is also a setting to disable alerts when "working out" and when "sleeping" - my phone goes on do no distrub each night automatically so no need to turn off the notifications on the Ionic, but I just found the screen wake setting and will be using it at night.

Would be helpful to have it on a timer though to say from 11pm - 7am the screen wake is manual...then auto the rest of the day

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ratcityrain and commenters. There is a setting on Ionic where you can turn off calls and notifications during sleep (and also exercise). Go to 'Settings' and 'Notifications' and turn off 'During Sleep' receive calls and notifications. Does that resolve the issue of the light from the screen waking you up? (I'd also recommend changing your screen brightness settings to automatic so it's less bright at night). 

LPKA
Recovery Runner

Please FITBIT do that. Garmin, Samsung, ASUS and all other smartwatches do that. Go with the flow please.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

@ratcityrain swipe to the right and change screen wake to manual. This turns quick view off and will require a touch or press of the button. 

ratcityrain
Strider

@Rich_Laue - I was aware of this trick, but I like leaving it on wake when I lift my wrist so I would always have to turn it off when going to bed and then turning it back on in the morning.  

Update: I have noticed lately that I have not been getting any notifications on my ionic from my Samsung Galaxy S8+ when the phone is in do not disturb mode so I think the phone is preventing the notifications of going to the ionic so that is nice

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

If the phone is in its DND mode, many apps will honor this setting and refuse to send notifications out. Therefore no notifications can be intercepted by Fitbit. 

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @ratcityrain and commenters, thanks for sharing this suggestion. As commenters have mentioned, putting your phone in DND mode, should prevent your phone or third party apps then passing notifications to your Fitbit. If you are interested in your Ionic quick view setting turning off automatically when you're sleeping, please vote here.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and we appreciate all of the input we receive from our customers. We do not currently have plans to release this feature. You can learn more about how Fitbit decides what suggestions get released in our FAQs. For now, we will leave this suggestion open for votes (and closed to comments) so that we can continue to track community demand over time. Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us and we will let you know if anything changes.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.