Disable tap function so Fitbit device screen won't turn on at night

My Charge 2 turns on during the night when I sleep.  Quick View is turned off and there is no option in the app to disable "Tap" to turn on the display.  I've also found that the screen will light up sometimes when just going about my business.  Seems like some minor vibrations also erroneously activate the screen way too easily.  It used to take more effort to activate the screen by tapping.  Now it seems way too easy.  I would like to see this feature added to help me (and others) get some sleep and so that we only see the data from the screen when we "want" to.  This will also help save battery life and lead to recharging the unit less often; so this could be a "green" initiative too.  Does that help get this approved?  =^)  

Moderator Edit: Clarified subject and updated label

105 Comments
Bmoy87
Jogger
I have the "Quick View" feature turned off to save more battery life now this thing turns on with even the slightest bump of the wrist or the slightest task in life like typing on the keyboard with my wrist laying on the table. Why have Quick View and Double tap on the same device? Aren't they both basically the same thing? For someone like me who doesn't want either doesn't have a choice and is stuck with the Blaze coming on randomly. Please give an option to completely turn off the "Double tap" feature just like you have for "Quick View".
Autodesk
Jogger

I agree with this.  I do boxing and it's annoying to have the blaze turning on and off as I go through my workout routine.

meanllama
Recovery Runner
I would like the ability to turn the tap to wake feature off in settings. While this is a great feature to have, I notice the screen will turn on at random times through out the day with accidental bumps and even just some hand movements.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I think you are referring to the Quick View that turns the tracker on with a twist of the arm, and sometimes simple arm motions.

quick view does have the ability to be turned off.

Now if tap can be turned off, you'll never be able to tap it back on.

meanllama
Recovery Runner
I understand that. The display will turn on with a double tap to the device. The screen can also be turned on by pressing any of the 3 physical buttons. By being able to turn off the double tap to wake AND the "quick view", you would need to actually press the physical buttons. This would stop any accidental screen activation by movement.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

to turn off quick view  - on the Blaze - swipe to Settings - tap screen(pushing button won't work) - scroll to Quick View - tap screen(pushing button does not work)

It is the quick view that most likely is turning on the display.

There is a request for a night mode option.

meanllama
Recovery Runner
I don't think you guys are understanding what I'm saying. There are 3 different ways the screen on the Fitbit Blaze turns on.

1) Quick View (AKA turn wrist=screen turns on). I am aware you can turn this off as I have stated already.

2) Two quick taps to the side or screen of the device (motion activated and not pushing buttons)

3) Pushing the physical buttons on the device.

Being able to turn off #2 would stop the screen from accidentally turning on when being bumped.
Rich_Laue
Community Legend

I understand what your asking, I don't understand how one accidental bump can provide the two firm taps that it requires to turn the Blaze on. I believe, in.light of arm motions being mentioned, I purpose that turning of quick view will greatly eliminate this. This is just my thoughts,

meanllama
Recovery Runner

You mean eliminate right? Emanate means to spread out from or be produced by (such as emit or radiate).

I don't think you did understand because you kept explaining twice how to turn off a feature I was not talking about. 

Of course, one accidental bump will not turn on the display (which is why it requires two bumps or taps to the device).  While driving vehicle on a rough/bumpy surface, bumping into people in a crowded room, mowing the lawn, washing dishes, etc... are just a few instances where the device has turned on accidentally.  

I work in a high risk environment so when the screen accidentally lights up in a dark area it could pose a safety problem.

Rich_Laue
Community Legend

My answers have been based on only having the data presented and not all the pertinent facts in the case. There was no mention being in a high risk area, and that quick view has already been turned off, I can only assume so has the Heart rate.

meanllama
Recovery Runner
There should be no need to mention that the device is being used in a high risk environment. The screen turns on either way. The whole point of turning off quick view is just that, not wanting to view the screen unless you physically touch the device awake.

In my second comment, I stated that turning off "quick view" and also having the ability to turn off the double tap feature would allow the device to no longer wake the screen unless the physical buttons were pressed. So there was previous mention.

The HR sensor doesn't control the screen 'on' function so that wouldn't matter.

This is suppose to be a simple statement of requesting the double tap feature to be turned off when inside of settings. Nothing more. No need to over complicate it.
lehmmr02
First Steps

I was wondering if there was going to be an update for the Blaze to be able to choose to turn the "tap on" feature on or off? I remember when this update came out for the Charge HR and it was amazing due to the extension of the battery life. I notice that my Blaze screen comes of quite frequently with the slightest jerking movements. I would like to see an update to have the "tap" feature turned off and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue as well.

PureEvil
10K Racer

@lehmmr02, wouldn't this effectively be the same as turning off 'Quick View' under the Blaze settings?

lehmmr02
First Steps
No, the quick view is the feature that turns the screen on when you bring your wrist up. Thw tap feature is where you tap the device and it will wake the screen up without pushing any of the buttons. If there is a lot of jerking movements then itll continuously wake the device up 

Sent from my Sprint Samsung Galaxy Note5.
moosecat
Base Runner

I'm surprised I can't find a version of this suggestion that has more votes. It's really annoying to have my watch turn on at the slightest touch. Quick View is turned OFF. However when I'm rolling around in bed, my watch is CONSTANTLY turning on, and it's super bright (the dimmest setting is nowhere near dim enough).

So, yeah, we really need the ability to turn off tap to wake. I preffer using the buttons anyway.

Scarecrow2030
First Steps
Turn off double tap on the Charge2 also would be great. My battery drains very quickly as the screen is always on when Im at work using a hammer
Scarecrow2030
First Steps
I would love to see this option in settings, like the Charge HR had. When Im at work using a hammer the screen is always on and my battery drains very quickly. Can't believe this setting was left out. Battery status should also have a page/screen. Seems like this product was rushed to the market before the software was finished.
Globule
Recovery Runner

Sounds pretty reasonable - I think they have it on Blaze

Under settings - Turn quick view off and wrist movement will not activate the screen.  They should hopefully be able to incorporate this on the Charge2 without too much difficulty.

Good luck.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SilviaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

This would be a great feature to have on Fitbit Blaze. Thanks for sharing such a great idea! 

skifit
Jogger

I think the OP is talking about double-tap, not Quick View.  You can currently disable Quick View in the Fitbit app.  However, you cannot disable the double-tap feature.  I would like to see the ability to disable double-tap too.  Personally, my Fitbit turns on at night when I'm changing position in bed.  It may be a defective Fitbit, or just that the feature is too sensitive.  Either way, the app should let us disable it for a variety of situation (i.e. sleep, working, driving, exercising, etc).

I recommended the same concept in my own thread before I knew about this post.  If you agree, vote this idea up in both forum threads please!

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Disable-turning-on-the-screen-when-tapped/idi-p/...

skifit
Jogger

We need this not only on the Fitbit Blaze, but the Charge 2 as well!  Please add the ability to disable the double-tap feature to the software for all applicable devices.  There are other posts about this.  If you agree, please vote this up and my original post about it for the Charge 2 as well:

https://community.fitbit.com/t5/Feature-Suggestions/Disable-turning-on-the-screen-when-tapped/idi-p/...

Thanks!

steveansell
Recovery Runner

This was available in the Charge HR but not in the Charge 2. Very annoying as the display comes on when not wanted (Quick View is switched off) and will lead to reduced battery life.

Dave1596
Strider

it's not possible since you scroll through the charge 2 both with button and tapping gesture.

Goldendeed
Jogger

Yes!! I Agree with you! So necessary. Why include it in the last version and not in the new one?

Goldendeed
Jogger

@skifit yesss thank you for typing this out! I agree completely 

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.