Display More than 40 Characters for text notificaiton

It would be really helpful if the tracker displayed more than 40 characters when displaying a text via your phone. There alsmost isn't any point in having any text at all. Please update please!

Moderator Edit: Added Labels

17 Comments
Locksoft
Base Runner

I agree. Having only the start of the message forces me to get the phone out of the pocket, making the feature totally useless. 

GregoryEssex
Jogger

I couldn't agree more, I was quite shocked to learn that this device can only support 40 characters which is not even the minimum size for a standard text message 160 chars that has been available since text has first been around in the ealry 90's! This wasnt clear when purchasing which is very misleading as it states: 

• Text message—Sender's phone number or name depending on the contacts list in your mobile device and the contents of the text message.

40 characters is hardly the contents of the text. Its a partial in most cases. 

This surely needs to be improved for a future update...

KimFL
First Steps

The text messaging on the Fitbit Charge 2 is more annoying at 40 characters than if there was no text display at all.  Please advise if Fitbit is working on an update for this - I'll be returning it if there isn't some fix in the works.  It's ridiculous.  Thanks.

mooniuniu
First Steps

Please remove the text message limit of 40 characters! It would be great to see as complete of a message on the fitbit as possible.

KimFL
First Steps

Any luck for a future firmware update to lengthen the number of characters displayed in a text message?  

Nikki.ress
Jogger

I think, while reading other comments, it would be appreciated if there could be more than 40 characters when displaying a text message on both the Fitbit Alta and Charge 2. Both my mom and I are disappointed when we can only preview half of the message. Is there any chance you would consider changing the limit?

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
SantiR
Premium User
Moderator Alum
Moderator Alum

I think this is a great idea! I know that there are a lot of text messages that we receive that include more than 40 characters. It would be great to be able to receive those text messages on the Fitbit trackers that support this feature (Flex 2, Surge, Alta, Charge 2, and Blaze). That way, users will be able to read them from the Fitbit tracker instead of having to take out their phones from their pockets to read them so they will not miss any text notification. Thanks for suggesting this great idea! 

Ang99
Jogger

Please take the restriction of 40 characters away for text messages and e mail, completely useless, please give update, I only got this fit bit so I could view text messages/emails, 40 characters is useless 

eduke
Jogger

I completely agree. It becomes more of a hassle to have to take my phone out in order to see the whole message. 

mamaduckfitz
First Steps

I agree.  

DaniByrd
Recovery Runner

If I'd known there was a 40 character limit, I would've purchased a different tracker. Also, I need it to sync with fb messenger. Google hangouts could be helpful too. I'm new to fitbit, but not trackers, and got this for the sleep stages info. Since the sleep stages also isn't working on this, I may need to ditch the Alta HR and go back to the Samsung Gear Fit 2.

This is a disappointing decision to have to make. 

Stayson
First Steps

Desperatly need to improve this, apart from the fact its outshone by other products that show the full text, im hoping this is an easy software update that can be done to make the change to show the whole text.

Please sort it out, im putting off buying an additional Alta HR until there is a better resolution 🙂

Schaubbie2004
First Steps

The text feature would be a great selling point if you could actually see more than just 40 characters. If it needs to be capped, maybe cap it at a considerably higher number, say like 100 or 200. Slightly disappointed.   

Bozeman
Jogger

Totally agree with update to see whole text!

Crispfam
First Steps

I just purchased the Fitbit Alta Hr, it's my first fitbit, and I am very excited to try it out! I was really looking forward to receiving texts on my tracker, but I am very disappointed with this feature. I wish that the character limit would be more than 40 characters. This is the most disappointing feature for sure. Please update this in the firmware with update! It would make a much better experience. Please please please! 

Patrissimo
First Steps

It should not be very hard to scroll messages, either continuous scroll, or just show 40 chars at a time (break on words if you are smart). This is not hard to implement, and people really care. Get this right and I will use my FitBit instead of a smart watch.

Status changed to: Released
LizFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi @FocusT25 and commenters! This has been released for Fitbit Ionic, which can display significantly more than 40 characters. Unfortunately this will not be updated for other existing devices but this feedback has been implemented in our newest offering. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.