Do not show suggested goal weight in the underweight BMI range

Currently, if I enter a new goal weight, an automatically suggested -5kg weight will pop up. If the currently entered weight is already on the lower end of the healthy BMI range, this can easily end up in an underweight BMI range which can be very triggering for people with eating disorders. The new suggested weight should never be lower than BMI 18.5.

9 Comments
Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
EdsonFitbit
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

@Pupa8 Thanks for sharing your suggestion about not showing suggested goal weight in the underweight BMI range.

We'll see what other Community members think.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

This sounds like a very sensible idea. The tracker is meant to promote healthy living and being underweight is not part of that. I personally struggle to take in enough calories and having so many conflicting things out in the world about what size I "should" be is unhelpful. We should all promote healthy weights, not too big and not too small.

javniha
Base Runner

I don't want a weight goal. I simply want the ability to track my weight. 

Miselenaeous
First Steps

+1 to Javniha's comment.

Lazy-sod
Recovery Runner

There shouldnt be a suggested weight goal when you add your own as this could be harmful to others self esteems.

cattyliu816
Jogger

My personal goal is to gain 10 pounds and my weight hasn't changed in the 3 years I've had a fitbit. Let's just make weight goal optional

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Yep!  Stop assuming weight loss is everyone's goal.

Littlechiz89
Jogger

YES! This has honestly been bothering me since I started with FitBit.. it's very frustrating, but it's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels this way..

It's not right!

lguerrrr
First Steps

I came her to say something similar. I recently got congratulated by my fitbit for losing 25 lbs. That's normally worth celebrating except that my BMI should tell you that I am not at a healthy weight. I have cancer and struggling to gain weight.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.