Don't add driving steps to challenges

If I go to the trouble of deleting steps gained while driving through the Fitbit app or drivebit they should be deleted from my challenge total. Everyone in my challenges blame me for too many steps and when I explain that I erased the steps but still shows up in a challenge they get mad at me. Makes me not want to do a challenge or leave it at home when I drive, for my living, which means I'll never get credit for steps I do I between driving.

Moderator Edit: Updated label

25 Comments
TylerC
Jogger

Hi, recently bought a Surge, as a motorcycle rider it adds steps while I'm riding my motorcycle. Utilising the driving activity I'm able to 'delete' those steps. Which is great, (although I have another suggestion for making this easier), however, in challenges I issue or accept via the Fitbit App, these steps are still counted towards the challenge, and are not removed when I enter in the driving activity.

This seems more like a bug than a feature, but i couldn't not find anywhere to report it. So the 'feature' request is to havin the 'deleted' steps sync correctly with your current challenges. 

KiwiCBR6
First Steps

I hear ya!  I have to add two daily activities for riding my motorbike to & from work, which I don't mind doing, but it keeps the "adjusted" totals (Step, calories, etc) to my personal view & doesn't update my public totals, making me feel like a cheat during challenges.

Ditto for the Badges earned.

Edsland
Recovery Runner
The app drivebit will take driving steps off automatically all you do is start app then end when done driving. Only problem for me is the steps removed still count towards challenges.

Sent from my iPhone
rws165
Recovery Runner

Thanks I'll try that today.

Status changed to: Reviewed By Moderator
AndreaFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

This is a great idea to make the Challenges more fair Robot LOL.

Thank you for visiting the Forums. 

WillW
Recovery Runner

When you remove steps from your dashboard, please also remove them from the challanges you are in and do not count them towards badges.  Currently, you can set a "Driving" task during periods where your fitbit records false steps (such as riding a motorcycle) however although these steps will be removed from your dashboard, they will still be counted towards your challanges and badges.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

+1 Smiley Happy

rillelille
First Steps

I really need this feature, I can´t join challenges without it.

/Rikard

GSaldiveri
Hill Runner

I agree 100% on this and It would also be nice if the driving entry wasn't counted as an exercise event as well. Just doesn't make sense to me. I wanted to use the Fitbit app to keep track of my exercise days but since I ride a motorcycle and have to negate the steps, I can't because it logs every ride as an exercise.

SDQBee
Recovery Runner

This is the only way to make challenges fair and then a lot more worth while doing them.

I also ride a motorbike and the steps clocked up just going to and from work is 3000 - 4000 and it only takes me 15mins each way. It's a lot of steps to make up so that I'm not cheating on my challenges

GSaldiveri
Hill Runner
I've seen many posts on this already, but no real answers as of yet.

When correcting driving steps they should be removed from challenge totals as well. I would like to be part of challenges and be honest about it, but it doesn't look like I can.

If I go on a 3 hour motorcycle ride I will add about 15,000 steps to my challenge total without any way of negating them. It's not fair or fun... I was going to enter the Step It Up national challenge, but my total would be very inacurate.

Please fix this.
GSaldiveri
Hill Runner

Not sure why my last post got moved to this forum, I consider this a bug to be honest more than a feature upgrade......

kingzabez
Recovery Runner

I too have this issue. every one in the challanges looks at me as i am cheeting. there is no point to talk to the thread where nobody is going to care about the users pain

Nnguyen
First Steps

Hi, could you please provide a way to stop negated steps from being added to the leaderboard, or maybe just a function to temporarily disable the fitbit from counting steps? 

it is understandable that manual added steps should not enter the challenge and leaderboard, on the same logic steps that are added by car suspension shound not be counted either. This ruins the social experience for anyone who commutes in a car, as well as their friends.

Frameguy
Jogger

I couldn't agree more. "Manually" adding a driving activity on a daily basis is a real inconvenience. We are encouraged to wear our tracker 24/7 and most , if not all, of us "drive" at some point during the day and some of us "drive" for a living. This is an issue that needs to be addressed and soon.

Frameguy
Jogger
I use an app called “DriveBit”. It’s available for iOS and Android. It
works very well.
--
Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus
Edsland
Recovery Runner
Drive bit works good for subtracting steps for your daily total, but if your in a challenge those steps still count.

Sent from my iPhone
Frameguy
Jogger
Not sure I can help with that. Sorry.
--
Abailey44
First Steps

I think this could easily be done if the challenges you make changes based on the dash board. 

nicovermeir
First Steps

this issue is almost 3 years old... how is this still happening?

My fitbit registered over 33k of steps in 3 hours while riding my motorcycle...

Frameguy
Jogger
Sorry, but I got rid of my FitBit due to just this reason. Got really tired
of having to always adjust my numbers. The “app” I used really didn’t do
that well so I quit.
--
Abailey44
First Steps
The idea is not hard to understand. Have it track whenever you are going
above 10 MPH and to not track steps.
kneedrag
Jogger

Adding my vote to this as it is annoying not being able to take part in challanges because I have ride a bike to work.

SunsetRunner
Not applicable

Please remove the steps also from the challenges when adding the manual 'driving' activity! I'm adding my vote to this one

Status changed to: Not currently planned
LizzyFitbit
Premium User
Fitbit Moderator
Fitbit Moderator

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for sharing this Product Feedback! While we don’t currently have plans to release this feature, we always appreciate the passion and creativity that comes out of this Community. Since we know this idea is important to many of you, we have left voting open to continue tracking interest and will post another update if anything changes. To learn more about how Fitbit decides what product feedback is developed, visit our FAQs.

We're always striving to enhance Fitbit products and services, and your input is a big part of that process. We truly thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us.

To comment, you must first accept the terms of the Idea and Feedback Submission policy.